"I Could Arrange for You to Speak with Her if You Wish."

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Captain Clark Terrell, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

In "Yesterday's Enterprise," Picard offers Garrett the opportunity to speak with Guinan regarding the Enterprise-C's possible alterations to history. Does anyone else besides me think that conversation would have gone badly had it occurred? Given the fits Guinan threw when speaking with Picard and Yar, it doesn't seem likely she'd have been civil with Captain Garrett.

--Sran

2. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I can imagine Picard expanding upon that:

"Yes, I can arrange for you to speak to my non-enlisted crew member who wears big funny hats, may or may not know thigns including alternate timelines or not but has really strong feelings, and despite being hundreds of years old seems to have no ambitions greater than being the bartender in ten-forward. But she's sure she's right."

3. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Guinan would have spoken her mind in a meeting with Garrett.
    This timeline left Guinan with vague memories of it.
    Garret would have died either way or taken prisoner by the Romulans like Tasha.

What keeps me thinking is the fact, that the altered timeline existed with Tasha. Then Tasha travels back in time, survives and is taken captive by a Romulan, giving birth to Sela who appears in the normal timeline. Without that incident Sela would never have existed.

Guinan would have her own thoughts about that to be sure.

4. Captain Clark Terrell

^After Sela appeared, Guinan told Picard that his decision to allow Tasha to travel back in time caused the Klingon civil war; Picard didn't believe her, but was curious enough to invite Sela aboard the Enterprise to find out if she really was Tasha's daughter.

--Sran

5. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So that means that we've not returned to the "Normal" time line ever since

As to the OP, I don't think Garrett actually speaking to Guinan would have done anything useful. The only real purpose of it would be if Guinan had knowledge about what was supposed to happen to the Ent-C, which it never seems like she does

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

^ The only reason for Garrett to speak to Guinan would be to help convince Garrett to do something that she was reluctant to do, which Picard eventually did all by himself.

Garrett had even less reason to believe or trust Guinan, she was a complete stranger, who didn't even have the minimal credentials of being in a future Starfleet. Picard and Guinan had a standing long term relationship, Garrett and Guinan didn't.

")

7. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And the only way to have done that is for Guinan to share something about her & her crew that would have been convincing enough to show she was on the level, but she wouldn't have known any of that really

8. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Be funny if Garrett had known Guinan from somewhere, but not under than name.

9. Captain Clark Terrell

^Then we might have seen this again.

--Sran

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think what we saw with Guinan and Yar would have been what it might have been like with Guinan and Garett. She would have been civil, but it would be a "You're not supposed to be here" vindictive civil. It would have been interesting to see.

11. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Guinan has never done anything useful.

I would put up with a dozen Wesleys if it meant getting rid of Guinan from every episode.

Yeterday's Enterprise is one of the best episodes but she brings it down a full point.

Yes, I hate Guinan.

12. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I give you Icheb, Harry Kim, Rom, Neelix, Q and Lwaxana Troi on top of that. :devil:

As you hate Guinan you might love Q. :lol:

13. Captain Clark Terrell

I must disagree.

--Sran

14. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What's wrong with Rom? He's a sweetheart.

15. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Does anyone want to see setting number 2?" :lol:

She convinced Riker to not think like Picard in order to defeat the Borg. I'd say that was fairly useful.

16. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On a side note, that actually could be quite sensible in my opinion.

I mean, living a few hundred years, seeing through the centuries many examples of "ambition" of members of shorter-lived species, and where it generally leads to, and finally simply settling on doing something you enjoy for whatever reasons, ambitions be damned.

17. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Gee Willikers, remember when, " what time is it?" was a nice, simple, social question?!?!?!

I actually thought Guinan added an edgy "incompleteness" to things, that kept you wanting more explanation and information. And that is said by one who is not a fan of Whoopie!

Goldberg, not the other Whoopie. I like that very nice. Oops, not the "Holodeck" thread...

18. Captain Clark Terrell

Agreed. I get the sense that Guinan had already achieved whatever goals she'd set for herself and was working as a bartender because she wanted something simpler--not all that different from politicians who work as consultants or make a living as guest speakers after retiring from office.

--Sran