Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by 22 Stars, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

What was it?

Slightly off topic, PC users, are the sound effects accessible? I know many a modder for Bridge Commander who would LOVE to get their hands on them!

2. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have no idea. Everything seems to be contained in .TOC files. There aren't even .INI files available for configuration tweaks.

3. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can anyone confirm selectable chapter points to replay (yay) or does it save your position automatically and that's the only pick up point to start besides restarting(boo)?

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just bought the pc version. Hopefully I'll enjoy some game time this weekend.:bolian:

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Chapter points on the Xbox 360.

6. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The jump button has a bit of a delay in this game. Makes platforming a little frustrating oftentimes.

7. General_Phoenix

General_Phoenix Captain Captain

Bought the game yesterday, enjoying it - has it's problems but I don't think it's all that bad really. My Game Stop didn't even have the game on display, I had to ask for it, the clerk told me they had a case of them in the back.

8. bullethead

Man, Namco Bandai is going to be pissed if this doesn't sell well. But they only have themselves to blame - near zero advertising before hand means that sales will be non-existent.

I will laugh if the PC version moves the most copies though. Japan gives no fucks about PC gaming, so I expect heads to explode back in Namco Bandai HQ if that happens.

9. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

regarding continuity both the countdown comic and this game ends with them heading to Nibiru yet the are both considered canon so is it possible that one happened before the other?

10. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Yeah, I'm worried this won't sell much at all. Maybe they were hoping to get free advertising because the movie is coming out soon, but really the advertising department was apparently asleep on this one.

11. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't really want to start a canon debate and derail the thread but neither comics nor game are considered canon according to Orci's last comment on the matter a couple of months ago.

12. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

They probably realized the game was going to be a failure given its apparent low quality and thus declined to invest any additional money in marketing. An advertising campaign that would actually move the needle on sales would be enormously expensive so its likely they decided to just write off the losses.

The game is rocking a 38 score on Metacritic right now, with a 3.0 from users.

13. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Maybe we're just too soft on it. Then again, a lot of the bad reviews will probably include fan-boys and the backlash from the fake 10's.

14. bullethead

Maybe, I gave it a three stars out of five in my review for WhatCulture. I personally don't see the need to punish a game for not being the greatest of all time - I prefer reserving a 1 or 0 for games that are truly broken/irredeemable.

I think the reason we're not going on and on about how this game is the worst ever is because we're used to looking past the flaws of something (as long as those flaws aren't too widespread/deep to overcome). In a way, we're glass half full when it comes to Trek games, while most people are glass half empty.

15. General_Phoenix

I didn't even know the game was released until I saw this thread. I wasn't really following the game closely, and when I went to Game Stop I almost thought they didn't have it in stock. I had to talk to the clerk to get a $20 Steam card anyway, so I just asked him if they had the game - he looked on the computer and said they have a bunch in the back. Surprised that they didn't have at least one copy in the New Releases section - but Injustice was dominating the New Release area.

16. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Yep, when did we see the last Star Trek FPS?
    2002?

17. General_Phoenix

It's a decent enough game, nothing really spectacular. I've spent a few hours with it so far, it's better than Legacy, not as good as Elite Force I or II, not as fun as Klingon Academy, and not as fun as 25th Anniversary or Judgement Rites (probably showing my age, but I like point and click adventure games.)

The platforming jumps can be aggravating at times, thankfully they aren't completely game breaking though.

18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well seeing as I don't recall any reason given for the Enterprise being near to binary star at the start of the game except for responding to the destress call they were probably heading for Nibiru after Countdown to Darkness when they diverted to respond to the SOS which kicked off the game.

19. ManaByte

ManaByte Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The producer of the game has been caught spreading lies about it actually working:
    [​IMG]

20. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^Yeap, the game has it issues which i have no doubt will be fixed with patches, but the bad pr it gained over this and from the obvious shilling over on metacritic has been ill concevied to say the least, and has only made it look like they are trying to push a broken game at all costs.

What were they thinking.