IDW to publish post-Nemesis TNG Borg story, possibly Destiny

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by cdgodin, Jun 8, 2012.

1. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Noticed that after I had looked at that page a few times and I was like what ship is that I seen it from. Where did you see Titan at because I never found her at all.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I made no such assertion. Obviously that would be a stupid thing to say, because television producers are as diverse as everyone else and nobody can generalize so glibly about the practices of the entire group. What I said is that on the whole, it's unlikely that a given TV producer would read tie-in novels, since they're very busy actually making their own show and that leaves little time for recreational reading. And if and when they do find the time, they'd probably prefer to read something that didn't remind them of their shows so that they could take a break for a while. Of course there can be exceptions, but on the whole, it's unwise to assume that any given TV producer is familiar with the tie-in novels based on their show.

3. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

So in claiming you didn't say something, you go and underline your point by saying the same.

So have you read the comic? Do you have anything to say on that matter or just your usual pedanticness Chris?

4. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There is a marked difference between something which is unlikely (as per Christopher's comments) and something which "blatantly absolutely does not happen. Ever." Which is essentially what you're accusing him of saying.

I'd suggest you learn to tell the difference, subtle as it may appear to you, and then try again. :rolleyes:

5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. And Christopher would know better than most not to claim something like this would "never" happen, since his TOS novel Ex Machina was cited by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman as one of their favorite ST novels in a publicity interview for ST09.

6. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

So gents, read the comic then? What did you think of it? The art work, the actual story? Did you enjoy the first issue and are you looking for the rest of the series? I personally am, that final panel was bloodly brilliant.

Now, have you just both entered a thread to defend someone who clearly doesn't need defending and has a very articulate way with the English language as that's what it looks like from where I'm sat.

If Chris wants to say any more on the matter, I'm sure he would take the time to do so, that's cool with me, I actually know what he meant, how he meant it and how it came across. He has gone on record to say that TV producers never read media tie in books, or any books for that matter, then he implied that Braga has read one of his mediocre DTI novels, so, what, a month ago, I commented on it. To me it's not a big deal and I'm just replying because you Chris replied to me and you two gents decided to defend his honour or something before he came back and replied, if he replies because, it doesn't matter one single bit.

Although, ironies of irony, I've posted to your replies a good 24 hours after you two gents did.

7. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, I entered the thread to legitimately comment on Hive (what, did you think I decided "Dimesdan commented last, I must go and argue with him!", as opposed to entering a thread based on its title?!); so you can knock off the holier-than-thou, patronising request for opinions.

FYI: What I had intended to say regarding issue 1 was that I wasn't fond of the artwork and that (as others appear to agree) the story is a pretty blatant recycling of plotlines used before in one form or another through TNG and VOY. As such, I won't bother with #2.

But, you derailed things by making baseless accusations, which both Sci and myself rebuffed. Not to mention an undeservedly arrogant attitude in your responses to an accomplished Trek Lit author, and openly insulting him by way of your petty little "pedantic" jibe. I sincerely doubt you'd have the gall to act that way in real life, and if you do then shame on whoever dragged you up into adulthood!

You insist upon continually arguing that Christopher made a sweeping, absolute statement that Producers don't ever read tie-in products. This is quite blatantly not what he said, and your accusation is therefore false. Restating it ad nauseum will not make it magically come true. How is this hard to comprehend?

As far as his lack of a reply to you, consider: A) We don't all log in every day on these forums, due to Dreaded Real Life. B) He's possibly decided your lack of comprehension of even basic English is sufficient to warrant your argument as unworthy of taking the time to respond further.

If it's the latter, I'm inclined to agree. And about how that looks from where you're sat, I couldn't give a flying Shat's hairpiece.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I did reply, in post #122. I see no need to get into a circular argument when I've already made my point, especially when the facts speak for themselves.

9. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Read the latest issue of Hive last night. Really rather enjoyed it, and I thought the way Seven was used made sense.

10. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

It didn't come out in the US -- I was told it would be out here next week.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The digital version is on Comixology, so I'm assuming the paper version must have come out too.

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

No, there was a week's delay in the publication of issue #2. It will be in shops next week.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised they went ahead and released the digital version then. I thought they usually kept them lined up.

14. sulfur

sulfur Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They usually do, but the delay on the paper edition came rather late this week, and the Comixology schedules are typically set a week in advance.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That makes sense then.

16. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was there anymore appearences by any new characters that were in Issue 1 by chance? I haven't really thought of buying the single issues because I usually prefere the graphic novel formal lately.

17. USS Intrepid

Lieutenant Archer appeared again. I'd have to re-read to check for others. :)

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

The second issue of this makes it pretty clear that this has no relationship to anything that has appeared in the books and highly divergent points are pretty clear (for example, the return of voyager is shown and what happens next is different from the books).

It is a bit of a crazy 'end of the world' book with some nice ideas and I must confess as an action-adventure romp it's pretty good.

19. USS Intrepid

It'd work for me as a movie. So far at least. :)

20. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally got around to picking up and reading the second issue. I think the story keeps getting better. I was so glad about the twist at the end, which makes the new alien invaders more than a Species 8472 retread.

I hope we get more info on Lt. Archer. I was a little annoyed that she was named Kira. The Archer part didn't bother me, but certainly they could've picked another first name. I also was wondering/hoping that maybe Archer would be related to Valerie Archer from that VOY Species 8472 episode. But I guess not.

In any event, looking forward to where the story goes next.