Castle - Season 6 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by spinnerlys, Sep 23, 2013.

1. spinnerlys

spinnerlys Commander Red Shirt

Hello,

since the sixth season of Castle is upon us, and some people probably already have seen the premiere of that season via those means since Sunday, we better start taking apart another series of misfires and fillers and some great storytelling.

And ABC was kind enough to not yet put any info on their own Castle site, bastards.

Anyway, here seems to be an official promo, posted on YouTube some weeks ago:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG_Sh9swwng[/yt]​

I liked how they solved the question, it was refreshing, especially after being reminded of the discussion (here on TrekBBS) about the question and why Richard would do it in the first place.
    I missed Kassidy though, but the rest of the cast was used nicely, as nice as they could have done in that situation, which probably will go on for another couple of episodes.

2. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The end of the previous two seasons were so good, and the return was so anticipated, but most last season, especially the finale, was quite underwhelming. I'll watch, but it won't be appointment viewing for me.

3. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Well I loved the premiere... so much fun. :D

4. Kirby

^^ That's good to hear. Hopefully we'll get better quality storylines this year.

5. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ To be honest though, I am pretty easy to please. ;)

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Will be DVRing for watching Tuesday (Bones & Sleepy Hollow is enough TV for one night!), so I'll check back in Wed.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not sure I even want to stick with this show anymore. I guess I'll give the premiere a try, though.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ You seemed to be wavering quite a bit last season. I don't think much will change this season to be honest. I thought last season was pretty inconsistent with some fun moments. I'm looking forward to this season though and Kate's answer. I'll chime in when I can, however I don't have cable at the moment so I'll probably be behind quite a bit as I was last season.

9. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

The first episode sets a totally different tone from last season, so that's a good sign. The stakes are higher and I never saw the most of the twists.

If I'm not wrong, Castle will once again be teaming up with Beckett in DC by the start of the third episode. I'm still not sure how much Espositto and Ryan of will be in the show since they're stuck in their posts in NY, which is a bummer because I like them.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved the season opener until the last 30 seconds which is so stupid. I wonder if he dies. :lol:

I have a feeling that by several episodes into it that Beckett will still be working with the FBI or whatever but be assigned to NYC.

11. Christopher

My guess is that they're going to end up back at the NYPD solving homicides before much longer. After all, Lisa Edelstein, Yancey Arias, and the rest were billed as guest stars, not regulars, and there have been no announcements I'm aware of about them being cast as regulars. Besides, this is a series that thrives on formula, departing from it mainly for big events like season finales and premieres. I don't see a mystery series entering its sixth year suddenly abandoning the mystery angle to become a 24 knockoff on a permanent basis. That's the kind of revamp a show might try if it was struggling in the ratings, but last season's ratings were very good, apparently. I don't see them risking an experimental course change now. There's going to be some kind of reset button where Beckett decides she's better at solving homicides than doing all this spook stuff.

And really, that's how it should be. I said last season that this sudden desire for a national-security career was out of character for her, that she's always been defined as someone whose life's mission is to speak for the victims of crime. Solving murders one by one, fighting for the individual, is more her style than focusing on big-picture stuff.

Anyway, I miss the mysteries already. I miss the old routine.

Aside from that, though, this was better than I feared. I'm glad they wrapped up that dismal cliffhanger quickly and then jumped well past it. It's like they recognized it hadn't worked and were pulling back from how grimly it was played. And the rest had a good energy to it, even if it's not a format I want to see on a regular basis.

12. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I'm simply hoping we don't have too much made of Pi and Alexis pitching a fit because Castle won't let him stay in her room and all that. Of course, that hasn't really been settled or at least we didn't see anything about it

13. intrinsical

You're right, but I also see in Beckett's character the need to take on bigger challenges and that's what DC offers her. You're also right that she will ultimately return to her old job. I do think after last season's somewhat lackluster stories, this is a much needed spin and hope Beckett and Castle can remain in DC for at least a few episodes. DC is also a much better setting for the overarching story of her mother's murder. She is more likely to find something to take down senator whatshisname in DC.

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't think about that but it would work well if she get fired after taking the Senator down, or he finds out and get's her fired.

I figured before long we really should see Castle's dad again.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Meanwhile, Castle faces every writer's worst nightmare: a potential son-in-law who thinks spelling stifles creativity.

The horror, the horror . . . ..

16. Christopher

See, but that's just what I think is out of character. The Kate Beckett I've known for five years would be offended at the suggestion that solving individual murders and helping the victims' families get closure is in any way "small." She would insist that it's a vitally important job, as important as anything else.

I mean, Beckett is basically Batman. She suffered a childhood tragedy that compelled her to fight for the victims of crime. Now, okay, maybe Batman did join the Justice League and occasionally battles alien invaders and space gods and immortal cavemen, but there's no way he'd give up patrolling the streets of Gotham and saving ordinary citizens from street-level crime because it wasn't a big enough challenge to suit his career ambitions. Because what he does is not about himself; it's about the people he's fighting for. And Beckett is the same way, at least when she's written in character.

And I'm rarely as invested in this show's overarching story arcs as I am in the weekly mystery-solving and character interplay. So that's not a direction I'd be eager to see the show go in.

17. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

I thought it was a good episode. It was very dramatic and less about the humor. I liked how Castle reached his limits of how he can participate in a case and ultimately suffered from it. I think the episode focused on the main heart of the story - that of Castle and Beckett.

I do agree with the other posters that the weekly mysteries in NYC appeals to me more than the national security crimes in DC.

18. intrinsical

If she were only interested in helping victims, she could have easily chosen to be a counselor, psychologist, nurse or doctor. I'm saying she not only loves helping the victims of crime. Just like Castle, she also gets a rush out of solving challenging crimes. Both character traits are complementary and necessary to make her the best homicide detective in New York.

In this instance, her need to solve puzzling crimes drove her to work in DC for the attorney general's office. It doesn't mean she doesn't care about the victims anymore. She still continues to care and it showed in the episode. She looked at the girlfriend as a victim and and that drove her to dig deeper when her colleagues were ready to close the case.

I guess its your personal horror? :lol:

Strangely enough as someone who has been trained in linguistics, I'm not turned off by bad spelling. I view it more as an evolution of the language.

19. Kitty Worrier

Kitty Worrier Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to agree, I never thought this DC/Feds storyline made sense, based on who Kate has been through out the series.

If she had been transferred to another station, or promoted and transferred, I would have gotten that, but this DC thing feels like a forced plot point.

20. Kirby

^^ The people on the Federal team in DC are all listed as guest stars, so hopefully this will be a short arc and Kate can go back to the precinct in New York.