Which one is your favorite Star Trek Movie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Jean Luc Picard, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Jean Luc Picard

Jean Luc Picard Cadet Newbie

I would have to see for me its pretty close between Nemesis and First Contact.

Insurrection was an absolute joke of epic proportions, and had no business even being a tv episode. Generations was alright, but not that great.

So which is your favorite and why?

2. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

In this order:

STAR TREK (2009)

Why? This brought back STAR TREK in a vibrant, exciting way. It reinvigorated a franchise that had become stale as a week old baguette. Heavy on "action-adventure or else", there was an energy in this film that had never been seen in a STAR TREK movie, one that was so desperately needed. Above all else, this movie moved ... it was a motion picture. Yeah, Abrams put a little STAR WARS in our STAR TREK, but there was nothing wrong with that. TREK needed something that would give it a jump start back into warp speed.

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE

Yes, I am a man of great contradiction. This film was an ambitious piece of science-fiction cinema, or as close as STAR TREK has ever come to it. It tried to elevate the bar, but fell far short of its lofty goals. That being said, it is possibly the last of the measured, more thoughtful 70s era science-fiction movies, which saw a great paradigm shift several years before with the release of a little film called STAR WARS.

STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN

Horatio Hornblower in space ... 'nuff said. As a huge Age of Sail nut, I loved that this movie was very much a true Hornblower adventure dressed up in STAR TREK.

STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER

OK ... ok. It's the worse of the worse, but I still like it. Shatner was a far better director than Nimoy in terms of camerawork, framing interesting and far more dynamic shots. Also this film had some of the better character bits between the Big Three in all the TOS movies. I only wish they were in a wholly better movie. That being said, there's some interesting ideas in this movie, but they were very half-baked and really needed a more skilled screenwriter (yeah, Loughry, you weren't it) to fully work them out.

Honorable mentions: THE VOYAGE HOME and THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY.

And the Next Gen movies were really nothing more than two-hour cliffhangers.

3. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE

4. JohnChod

JohnChod Captain Captain

Interesting to see the love for The Motion Picture. That gets my vote as well. It had its issues, but, after all, it was the on-screen return that all of us who lived through the original TV run were waiting for. It was an event. It was one of the few times I ever went to a movie and had to wait in a line that serpentined its way out the doors of the lobby.

Production values and effects were wonderful, the Enterprise looked fantastic and they really tried to make an epic, thoughtful movie.

Its is still the Star Trek film that I am able to watch the most often.

5. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

I have to go with the redheaded stepchild of the "good" ST movies, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. Is it the best from a critical perspective? No. However, it has several things I love:

- Spock at his most realized, fully formed self.
    - Kirk as a character who truly grows.
    - Kim Cattrall when she was still hot. ;)
    - The most interesting depiction of Klingons in all of Trekdom.
    - Cliff Eidelman's fantastic score.
    - The amazing cinematography of the surface of Rura Penthe/Alaska.

It's arguably the best acted of the original 6, and it shows. I get chills down my spine whenever McCoy cries out "I tried to save him!" And Kirk pumping his fist and gritting his teeth as he proclaims "fire!" is Shatner at his most... Shatnery. :lol:

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Hard to pick an absolute favorite. If a disruptor was held to my head, I would probably choose THE WRATH OF KHAN, but THE VOYAGE HOME, THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY, and STAR TREK (2009) are all contenders.

FIRST CONTACT is far and away the best of the TNG movies, but, deep down inside, TOS is still STAR TREK to me.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Order of favorites:

1. ST:XI
    2. The Undiscovered Country
    3. Final Frontier
    4. First Contact
    5. Generations
    6. The Voyage Home
    7. The Wrath of Khan
    8. The Search for Spock
    9. Nemesis
    10. Insurrection
    11. The Motion Picture

First Contact was the top of the pile for years but I have really over watched it. The TOS films have more cud potential in the long run.

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1. Wrath of Khan
    2. Undiscovered Country
    3. Voyage Home
    4. First Contact
    5. Search for Spock
    6. Generations
    7. Final Frontier
    8. Motion Picture
    9. Nemesis
    10. Insurrection
    11. ST09

For me, the classic TOS movies were the top of the pack over the TNG ones. I've stated how I feel about the new movie on several threads so I won't go into that here. There were exceptions of course. A couple bad movies in the TOS arc, and First Contact was over the TNG pack.

9. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

Wrath of Khan. The rest just kind of fall into line as they will.

Ugh! I can never resist doing this. Fine! Here!

1. Wrath of Khan
    2. Undiscovered Country
    3. Voyage Home
    4. First Contact
    5. Generations
    6. Search for Spock
    7. Nemesis
    8. The Motion Picture
    9. Final Frontier
    10. Insurrection

Yes, Nemesis is three whole spots better than Insurrection. At least until the next time I write this list, I guess. The lower five tend to drift a lot, even if the names are always the same.

XI? I think of that as a separate thing. It is the master of its own domain, if you will.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I honestly don't know? But when I want to watch a Trek movie I usually grab either The Motion Picture, The Search for Spock or The Undiscovered Country.

11. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Oh what the hell, I'm gonna do a list:

1. The Motion Picture
    2. The Wrath Of Khan
    3. The Voyage Home
    4. The Search For Spock
    5. The Undiscovered Country

6. Star Trek '09

7. Generations
    8. First Contact
    9. The Final Frontier

10. Insurrection

11. Nemesis

12. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Star Trek

13. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

1. First Contact
    2. The Voyage Home
    3. The Wrath of Khan
    4. The Undiscovered Country
    5. Nemesis
    6. Generations
    7. Star Trek '09
    8. Insurrection
    9. The Search for Spock
    10. The Final Frontier
    11. The Motion Picture

14. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

1. TMP SLV
    2. TWOK
    3. TSFS
    4. NEM
    5. FC
    6. 2009
    7. TUC
    8. TVH
    9. G
    10. TFF
    11. I

15. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

1. Wrath of Khan...hard to argue with that one at times.
    2. First Contact...to me it seemed much more epic and at the end of Generations, I knew they had to do one with the Borg, so my excitement was a build up of 2 years worth of waiting and wanting.
    3. Star Trek...I wish I had given it a chance when it came out so I could have watched it on the big screen, but I was so frustrated and tired of Trek after having watched Nemesis.
    4. The Undiscovered Country...A great send off for all. Would have been much more entertaining and interesting for me had Saavik been the traitor instead of Valeris.
    5. Generations...To me it was a better movie than most people give it credit for. To this day, I enjoy the movie from the beginning until the saucer section crash lands, then I turn it off. I just ignore common sense and the nexus.
    6. Nemesis...again, for me, better than most people give it credit for, but I really didn't care for the clone crap, nor the B-4 hook.
    7. The Motion Picture...I love the Klingon chime and the V'ger music, not to mention Persis khambatta (even at my tender age of 5 at the time), God rest her soul.
    8. The search for Spock. I was disappointed by it after having watched TWOK, but hey...it brought back Spock.
    9. The Voyage Home. I'm one of the few....one of the rare that didn't care that much for it. It had funny moments, but I hated the whale sound of that thing flying thru space.
    10. The Final Frontier...Just didn't do it for me.
    11. Insurrection...why don't I just pop in a DVD and watch Time's Arrow....or Best of Both Worlds for a TNG episode that's much better than this?

16. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

1. Undiscovered Country
    2. First Contact
    3. Star Trek 2009
    4. Wrath of Khan
    5. Nemesis
    6. TMP
    7. Voyage Home
    8. Generations
    9. The Search For Spock
    10. Insurrection
    11. Final Frontier

17. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    I almost agree with the order of this list but i'd make FC number 1 and TWOK number 2

18. Xhiandra

Xhiandra Captain Captain

1. First Contact
    2. The Undiscovered Country
    3. Nemesis
    4. The Wrath of Khan
    5. The Search for Spock
    6. The Final Frontier
    7. Generations
    8. The Motion Picture
    9. Insurrection
    10. The Voyage Home

There is no eleventh Star Trek movie.

19. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

The Search for Spock is my favorite. It has just the right amount of humor and is a great story about sacrifice and friendship.

20. Margaret

Margaret Ensign Newbie

This is my first post here so here goes

1) The Search For Spock
    2) The Voyage Home
    3) The undiscovered Country
    4) First Contact
    5) The Wrath of Kahn
    6) Star Trek 09
    7) The Motion Picture
    8) The Final Frontier
    9) Generations