Orci Drops Trek 2 Character Hints

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Jul 16, 2012.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In an interview with TrekMovie.com, Star Trek 2 Co-writer Roberto Orci cleared up some information regarding some characters to appear on Star Trek 2 – well, perhaps. Orci again debunked a rumor about the character to be played by Benedict Cumberbatch, and explained which characters played by actors new to the franchise would be portraying [...]

More...

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Breaking News: Orci Says Nothing Informative At All Again.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read that entire article and the only thing I got was "he said she said", meaning, nothing at all. I know they can keep the movie under wraps as long as they want to, but it's getting boring not getting tidbits here and there, and can we please have a title? We're past Comic Con now, and it would be good to at least get a title, at least give the fans something to talk about for the next few months.

4. Trekkie2

Trekkie2 Commander Red Shirt

I'm reading the article and I find this interesting.

' “All I can say is that when I did that radio interview I had just been doing 22 hours of press. I had just got off a flight from New Zealand…,” said Orci.'

That blows his list of characters that are not going to be in the movie.

----------------

I don't think Cumberbatch is playing Gary Mitchell. He died in the comics. BC's mother reportedly said that he was dressed in leather, head to toe, for much of the movie. I'm hard pressed to think of a TOS character that was dressed all in leather (not hides). BC could be playing an android, but I'm not going with that one either.

I don't think he's playing Khan either, but that isn't saying Khan will not be in the movie. Del Toro was approached for a role that he turned down, but I'm thinking the reason he turned it down (his mistake) was because the dollar amount was not suitable, indicating it was a very short term role. The Khanists will get their Khan so they can stop haranguing the production staff and the rest of us, about it.

As for Eve's role, I don't think it's Dehner. I would love to see Chapel instead of hearing her, this time, but what I don't want to see is her blindly chasing after Spock, only to be rebuffed. Rand is back on the table, how about that.

What I want to see is more strong female characters.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

But Cumberbatch is clearly wearing a Starfleet undershirt in the photos we've seen, under the leather jacket and pants. So he's either in Starfleet (which could be Mitchell) or had dealings with Starfleet (which could be Khan) at some point.

Plus in the photo we see him fighting Spock near giant machinery. The Lithium Cracking Station at Delta Vega?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  6. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My money is (a less insane version of) Garth.

Eve would make a decent Marcus but given that Chapel wasn't on the list of characters who wasn't in this movie, I'm betting that now that Eve isn't 'new to canon' chapel is a good, although not certain, bet. It's still possible that she is playing Denher (if Garth is still mad) and that Chapel will get little more than a cameo again.

7. Captain Dago

Captain Dago Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Reading both Urban and Orci's statements makes it pretty clear that Cumberbatch is Mitchell. And Alice Eve, who even looks like Sally Kellerman, will be Elizabeth Dehner. This doesn't seem so confusing to me, anyway.

8. Pauln6

Nah - they knew that the comics would be laying teasers for the movie when they first started producing them and Orci was a consultant on those comics. I doubt that they would introduce a character whose story had already been told in the comic. Dehner on the other hand was inexplicably left out of the story, leaving no participating female characters at all on the grounds that she had an unsuccessful relationship with McCoy and was avoiding him. That to me sounds like far more fertile ground for the movie.

A canon rogue starfleet officer? Garth is a better fit and his insanity gives him a natural link to a psychiatrist. The teasers dovetail quite nicely.

9. BillJ

But I don't recall Garth having super-strength but it's been awhile since I've seen Whom Gods Destroy. Though, admittedly, it's easily added if the story calls for it.

10. Pauln6

Antosian shape-shifting?
    Red matter gauntlets?
    Vitamins?
    Harry Mudd's Mars drug? Coloured gelatin it may be but it gives men more of what they already had...
    Genetic manipulation as a result of a secret project?
    Maybe Botany Bay was discovered after all and starfleet black ops has the super-humans on ice while they tap their genetic potential?

11. BillJ

Whoever Cumberbatch is, we obviously have a family that gets caught in a crossfire between his character and the Enterprise crew.

12. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Orci called into a radio show a few weeks ago and explicitly stated that Gary Mitchell is not in the movie.

13. BillJ

And?

14. Devon

Look at the next line.

"TrekMovie.com: Nice callback, but are you sticking with your original comment and it isn’t Gary Mitchell. "

The "callback" is Orci parodying a comment Karl Urban made just a few days before when he was asked to follow up with his comment that Cumberbatch plays Mitchell.

See here:

http://trekmovie.com/2012/07/12/urb...el-footage-follows-up-on-cumberbatch-comment/

"All I can say is that I did that interview after a 22-hour flight from New Zealand. I literally hopped off the plane into the interview."

Orci then followed up with TM's question and said (verbatim) "I would say that I never lie."

No reason to go further, it's right there.

15. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah that old jetlag trick, in lieu of results from a lie detector test...

All this must be beginning to feel like special rendition to Bob Orci by now.

16. BillJ

What reason would Urban have to pull Mitchell out of his ass? And didn't Pegg say it wasn't Khan?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=60621

Someone's lying somewhere...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  17. Devon

To screw with people.

Yes.

18. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Gary Seven?

Maybe the other canon character is Roberta Logan.

19. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[LEFT]Caracthers of Alice Eve and Cumberbatch = canon.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]My guess.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Eve - Dra. Carol Marcus[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Cumberbatch - Garth of Izar[/LEFT]

[LEFT]He is starship captain.
    He can be younger than the original. After all, this is a diferent time line.[/LEFT]

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Only characters born after Nero's arrival/Kirk's birth, the point that the timelines split can be different in age. (Chekov). Garth was already a famous Captain when OldKirk was at the Academy. Garth has to be ten to twenty years older than Kirk, probably closer to Pike's age.