Retro Hunk of the Week - Michael York

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by WillsBabe, Mar 30, 2009.

?

A retro hunk?

1. I can see the attraction - yes

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Not now, not ever - no

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Neither one way or the other - meh

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

How audiences know Michael York is probably divided along age lines. The older amongst us will know him forever as icy, urbane sandman Logan 5 from 1970's cinema's Logan's Run. Younger audiences will know him as Austin Powers' ditzy British contact Basil Exposition.

Info: from http://www.michaelyork.net/index.html

York’s more than 60 other screen credits include memorable roles in such films as Joseph Losey’s Accident, Bob Fosse’s Cabaret with Liza Minnelli, Something for Everyone with Angela Lansbury, the all-star Murder on the Orient Express, The Last Remake of Beau Geste, as d’Artagnan in The Three Musketeers, the title role in Logan’s Run, and opposite Burt Lancaster in The Island of Dr. Moreau. He even played himself in Billy Wilder’s Fedora. He was in all three Austin Powers movies and in both Omega Code films. He recently finished filming The Mill and the Cross with Charlotte Rampling and Mika & Alfred. His television work comprises over 80 credits, including The Forsyte Saga, Great Expectations, Space, The Heat of the Day, A Knight in Camelot, The Night of the Fox, and The Lot (Emmy nomination). Recently in Larry David’s Curb Your Enthusiasm, he was also a guest character in The Simpsons and in the 100th episode of Law and Order: Criminal Intent.
    Broadway and regional theater credits include Someone Who’ll Watch Over Me, Bent, The Crucible, Ring Round the Moon, the world premiere of Tennessee Williams’ Out Cry, and the title role in Cyrano de Bergerac. He was in the musical of The Little Prince and recently toured the US in Camelot, playing King Arthur.

York’s distinctive voice can be heard in more than 90 audio book and film narrations as varied as The Book of Psalms, Memories, Dreams, Reflections, The Vampire Lestat, and his own children’s book, The Magic Paw Paw. Grammy-nominated for Treasure Island, he won awards for The Fencing Master, Creating True Peace, Goodbye to Berlin, and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Recent recordings include How Do I Love Thee?, Peter and the Wolf, and The Carnival of the Animals. Currently the narrator of The Word of Promise audio Bible, York’s latest recordings are Cry, The Beloved Country and Alice in Wonderland.

[​IMG]
    D'Artagnan - The Three Musketeers

[​IMG]
    Logan 5 in Logan's Run

[​IMG]
    Brian Roberts - Caberet

[​IMG]
    King Arthur - A Late Delivery from Avalon (B5)

[​IMG]
    Basil Exposition - Austin Powers

[​IMG]
    His younger self

[​IMG]
    His older self

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yowza. I've always liked him. He's classy, but doesn't take himself too seriously, and has a LOVELY voice.

Definitely a thumbs up from me.

3. SlyCardie

SlyCardie Commander Red Shirt

Basil Exposition FTW! :)

4. kitkat

kitkat Admiral Admiral

Not for me. Thumbs down.

5. WillsBabe

I was pretty hot on Michael York when I was a teenager. There was something upperclass and establishment about him that I didn't usually enjoy in my BODs. For me, he's always going to be Logan and that's why I chose him for the poll this week. He gets a thumbs up from me.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Thumbs Up, for being Logan, if nothing else. That's one of my favorite movies. :bolian:

7. HIj'Qa

HIj'Qa Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loved Michael York in The Three Musketeers.
    I've always liked him in his other roles, from Logan's Run to The Simpsons.
    Great voice, and he has aged well. :techman:

8. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I don't know him from either of those two.

But wasn't this guy a Monkee??? I mean, I was a wee sprout when that show was on, but every time I see him, for some reason that show pops into my mind.

I don't see it on his website though, so maybe it was someone else. Does he have a brother? Cus as I said, I was a pretty little kid when that show was on, but he sure does look familiar from something besides B5. :confused:

The only thing listed that I've seen him on is Babylon 5's Late Delivery From Avalon. Not B5's finest moment, but an okay episode.

Musta seen him in something else, although I've never seen Logan's Run.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  9. WillsBabe

:lol: That'll learn me.

Mine, too. Wathched it again the other day. I hear that they are going to remake it?

10. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

He's one of those people who is more than the sum of his parts. His face gives him no right to be as attractive as he is - look at those angular features, and those ears! But somehow it all just works with his personality to make a compelling individual.

As for the Monkee-business, he does bear a slight resemblance to Peter, but no, he wasn't a Monkee. ;)

11. RJDiogenes

Remake Logan's Run? Nooooo....

12. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

Huh???? Why???? Why???? Why???

13. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Nah, not really. Blondes do nothing for me, as a rule. He does have nice pipes, though. :D

I'll go with meh.

14. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Awesome actor. But I always thought he looked like a cat. You know. Like Ron Pearlman in Beauty and The Beast.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That rumor's been kicking around since the 90's. At one point I heard Leo DiCaprio's name mentioned as a possible Logan. But he's too old now. (AFAIK, the remake would return the Lastday age to 21, as in the novel)

16. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

I've always thought he was attractive. :techman:

17. RJDiogenes

Yeah, same with Forbidden Planet. If we're lucky, they'll both stay in development Hell....

18. WillsBabe

Thanks to everyone who voted this week. I'm glad that Logan 5 got so many positive votes. :) Here's a final shot before the new Hunk of the Week arrives some time in the next few days.

[​IMG]