If Doctor Who was an American show from the beginning

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by sttngfan1701d, Feb 14, 2014.

1. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Can we have Nehemiah Persoff as the Master?

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That's great, the only one I'd never heard of is Donald Glover.

The most interesting one for me is Vincent Price, and love Harrison Ford as the War Doctor :lol:

4. sttngfan1701d

^ I hadn't heard of Donald Glover either. And when I saw Harrison Ford I went "Oh my god yes! Perfect!":lol:

5. BlastHardcheese

BlastHardcheese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Doctor would have been called Gary Seven.

6. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Nick Cage as 9? *facepalms*

His acting style is too... emo and crazed to be a Doctor. Its a sure way to kill new Who.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Maybe but from an alternate universe perspective I can see why they went with him. In fact given his fan boy credentials he might have made a better 10 than 9! That said Sam Rockewell in the Tennant role is near perfect!

8. BlastHardcheese

Some of the casting ideas are just stupid. Tony Shalhoub was virtually unknown in the 1980s. Some of the other picks talk about how the actors' experiences helped make them great Doctors, disregarding the fact that some of the roles mentioned happened long after their supposed tenure on the imagined American show.

9. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm, I don't think Donald Glover is Inspector material he is more suited to the associate role, like Constable Reggie Wigglesworth.

10. sttngfan1701d

It's just a tongue in cheek article. Don't take it so seriously. And Tony Shalhoub had a few roles in the 80's before this supposed casting. Sort of like....Matt Smith.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Plus you could argue that Tom, Colin and Sylvester weren't that well known before they took on the role. For me Tony Shalhoub makes more sense as 7 than Walken does as 6.

12. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I would have changed a few of them.

1st Ray Walston older, grumpy but with a kind heart.
    2nd Robert Vaughn a smooth and dangerous doctor
    5th Patrick Duffy Very alien look but peaceful
    6th Matt Frewer A very dark Doctor indeed
    7th Robert Culp You knew it was over with this casting

13. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I really like the idea of Gene Wilder and Sam Rockwell.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

But as someone else said, it's make-believe and quite tongue-in-cheek. Anyway, it's not like Matt Smith, David Tennant or Tom Baker were very well-known before being cast as the Doctor.

I think the first 4 are better mirror universe equivalents to the real ones than the others, though Sam Rockwell as Ten is a good call. I could also see Nic Cage as an alternative Eccleston, if he turned down the volume.

But Gene Wilder as the American Tom Baker - genius! I really want to see him as The Doctor now...

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

[LEFT]I'm having a hard time imagining Six running around talking about "More Cowbell", but everyone else seems a very good Mirror Universe version (Though, I would love to see Christopher Walken as The Doctor, just not as an Alternate Six)[/LEFT]

16. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read a similar themed thread upon the old Outpost Gallifrey site and someone suggested Jonathan Harris as the first Doctor. Yeah, I know, "NO! NOT Dr. Smith!!!" Well certainly not what his character devolved into by the latter half of the first season onwards. But in the beginning, Smith was actually clever and calculating, willing to "dirty" his hands.

I think about the way Hartnell played the Doctor in the first three serials, right up to his "revelation" at the climax of "The Brink of Disaster". He was not a very likeable fellow. He kidnaps the teachers. He gets himself captured by the tribe of Gumm which leads to the others getting caught trying to rescue him. He intended to "brain" an injured caveman with a rock! In the Dalek serial, he fakes damage to the TARDIS just so he can explore the alien city. And while not directly his fault, the fact the Daleks take the fluid link complicates their crisis. And during "The Edge of Destruction", he accuses the teachers of sabotaging the craft. (Ahem, "Pot calling kettle...")

Don't these things seem like the schtick Dr. Smith would do? Before Smith devolved into a cringing coward, Harris did imbue Smith with a certain malevolent charm. Certainly he had a "seasoned" and expressive face that would have worked well for this mysterious stranger from another time.

Sincerely,

Bill

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's more to Walken than cowbells. As outlined in the article the producers were trying to avoid the patchwork coat but if they had instead embraced it I could see Robin Williams at the time being able to pull off a manic American Sixth Doctor.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, the cowbell comment was a joke.

I'm a great fan of Christopher Walken, I've never been disappointed by his performance. As I said, I think he would make a great doctor, I just don't think Six is the right one to be an alternate mirror of.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I agree Sindatur. The comparison is very flattering to Colin Baker!

20. BlastHardcheese

Ernest Borgnine would've made a great 2nd Doctor. I'd have picked Christopher Lloyd for 6 if in this fictional universe, Back to the Future had never been made. And George Clooney for 8. He was the 90s TV prettyboy after all, and I could imagine him filming a TV movie that went nowhere back then. I'd also pick Kiefer Sutherland for 9 and the series revival.