Your latest purchases, cont.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Goliath, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Full length black leather duster, $18 or so, not sure of the conversion rate today.

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Bought a pecan pie, some veal (to make Veal Parmesan), and some sour jelly beans, and wrapping paper. Today is hubby's birthday, so I'm going to make him a special dinner. I will wrap up the cds he wanted, along with the candy. He probably won't appreciate any of it, since he thinks it's somehow immoral to celebrate his birthday, but I'm doing it anyway.

3. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I splurged a little this week and bought myself a copy of Sterling's Gold. And, after having drudged through the "State of the Stargazer" thread in the TNG forum, I went ahead and ordered a movie-era Enterprise-A model that I think I'm going to assemble, paint silver, and place on a pedestal somewhere in my apartment, a la Picard's ready room. Maybe. :shrug:

4. trekvix

trekvix Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

A commission of my Transformers corset design, I'll have the real thing in just over a month!

[​IMG]

And Ript's tee of today: Ministry of Alien Silly Walks by 6amcrisis... I suppose I'm not supposed to post links the first two weeks but Ript Apparel is one of the best limited-edition tee sites, one tee, new every 24 hours, $10. Love it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  5. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's cool, though bright yellow is a mighty tough colour to pull off.

Customised corsetry is certainly an intriguing niche! I have a bit of an interest in clothes, so forgive a few questions: is it just the applied design that's unique, or is the garment itself bespoke in terms of it being fitted to your figure? I would assume the latter would be quite vital in terms of ensuring correct fit for something as closely-fitting as a corset.

Also, if it's not too rude a question, how much of an upcharge do you have to pay for bespoke versus ready-to-wear (percentage terms is fine, no need to give absolute figures)? I'm just curious as to how the mark-up compares with the tailored menswear side of custom clothing.

Just to complete the circle, I actually tried this drink a couple of days ago. It really is rather lush! Thanks for the tip. :cool:

6. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

A Dell Notebook for $550. It has a 500GB hard-drive.

Compare that my first computer which was a secondhand 386 with a 40MB hard-drive which a bought back in 1994 for $1150.

I am now using Windows 7, my first computer used Windows 3.1.

7. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

Another one bites the dust! They'll always get you in the end. They are pure, sinful, evil. :rommie:

And to keep this on topic, my last significant purchase:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. doubleohfive

I spent a lot of money this week, which I probably should have been more judicious about but oh well.

Let's see... apart from groceries, gas, and laundry I snagged a couple of books from the used book store down the street (mostly Trek books from the early '90s that I read as a kid).

I also bought a copy of Ron Moore's "Virtuality" on DVD and a copy of Roger Sterling's "Sterling's Gold."

9. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you watched that yet? It's been on my Amazon wish list for a while, but I've resisted buying it because I don't want to spent my money on something that's shit.

I also tried watching it on Hulu, but they no longer have it posted.

10. doubleohfive

I have not had the chance to view it, no. I'm waiting for a friend/fellow writer who wants to see it as well to watch it with her.

11. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

For what's it worth, I bought Virtuality back when the DVD was a Best Buy exclusive and was even more disappointed after watching it that the pilot hadn't gone to series. I quite liked it.

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

About $100 bucks worth of groceries. We stocked up on some things--mostly pork and fish--to freeze for later.

13. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bottles of marsala wine and cream sherry- I need both for cooking. Can't make chicken marsala without marsala! And the sherry is perfect for my risotto. I go through a bottle of sherry almost every month because I make risotto so often!

I have a big amazon.com gift card, and not sure what I want to spend it on. I already have a ton of books on my Kindle, and I'm not ready to buy more. :lol:

14. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

A coffee eclair

15. Holdfast

Sure, sure, that's the reason... :p :D

16. trekvix

trekvix Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Oh yes, I designed it and I am have a corset couturier make it, most definitely to my own measurement of course!! Pricing depends entirely on who you go to, what services they offer, and what quality. Corset qualities, materials, fits, shapes, and expertise required to construct vary more than any other article of clothing, and there are way fewer 'ready-to-wear' corsets than couture corsets, because they fit a woman's body so specifically by anywhere between one and ten measurements. Some corsets cost one hundred, some one thousand (most several hundred, for a couture fit), and then you get into the haute couture designers and it's many thousands. I can't really give you a number, just because every single corseterie is so different.

17. doubleohfive

Lunch at the studio commissary: Salad (freshly chopped red and green peppers, red onion, tomato, celery, and feta cheese with a light balsamic vinaigrette) with falafel, some pita bread and hummus. Deeeeeelish.

18. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ugh, I can't drink sherry straight. I only use it for cooking. I'm not a wine person, to be honest...

19. Holdfast

Thanks for the explanation & information. Always interesting to hear about custom clothing projects. :cool:

Being a wine person, I'm biased, but I really think Sherry is woefully underappreciated. It's a really brilliant little wine; my favourite is a good Oloroso, which can be a very satisfying little tipple. And sometimes, a sweet sherry really hits the spot. And of course, PX & ice cream remains a lovely treat.

20. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I got my copy of Deux Ex: Human Revolution yesterday.