How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ I just found out that she's Chris Elliott's daughter. I can see the resemblance.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I bumped into allegations of nepotism which is just silly.

What's wrong with dad getting you a job?

3. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Really surprised they didn't try to get one of the Olsen twins (or even Candance or Jodie) to be one of Ted's girlfriends at some point during this series. Weird that Dave Coulier was the first cameo they could wrangle up.

4. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

With all the hype around Mike Tyson appearing on L&O:SVU, the protesting and questioning whether he should appear. It was surprising that Mike Tyson was on HIMYM with little or no fanfare. It was a little bit of fun, made me smile.

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I liked that, actually. Was more of a surprise when he did show up.

6. Kitty Worrier

Kitty Worrier Vice Admiral Admiral

I was surprised he showed up as well, and I liked that we did not know.

Loved Lily's reaction too. I think the whole thing worked well.

7. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad Barney's past issues aren't just swept under the rug. He's having trouble getting used to his new self, but his love for Robin will win out over his old habits.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

All his issues are from not knowing his father.

Everything tracks back to that.

9. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

His father needs to return for several more episodes before the wedding. Or at least before the series finale.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah! I'm shocked they haven't brought Lithgow back! He was only in two episodes!

11. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Nice to see an episode with a new personal development/growth for Lily. We don't get too many of those since she got married.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Just like in real life. ;)

13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

As someone who's going to school to become a teacher, it did kind of bug me that Lily was upset she was "only" a Kindergarten teacher. As if only being a teacher is somehow a horrible thing.

Aside from that I loved seeing The Captain again, and seeing the story get retold as we find out both Ted and Robin were inebriated was hilarious.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

That got my attention as well. It sort of stuck me as a "Manhattan elitist" kind of thing and seemed somewhat unnecessary.

It's one thing to peruse something you love, but to treat the most noble of professions with contempt is a bit silly.

15. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

It wasn't what she wanted to do with her life. It was her 'safety' career that she got into out of necessity while Marshal was finishing law school. It wasn't commentary on the profession, it was commentary on Lily's character.

16. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Perhaps that "most noble" of professions doesn't look as noble after doing it as long as Lily did. And considering it wasn't what she was passionate about.

I'm a father of a 6 month old, parenting is a "noble" profession, but, man, there are some days, I am willing to trade it for digging ditches.

It's not elitist at all. You really think Lily is a Manhattan elitist?

17. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

If she really liked that elephant painting she should stick with being a teacher.

18. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Doesn't matter whether the elephant picture is any good, what matters is that the Captain was able to sell it for $4 million to someone, and that Lily has an eye for artists who are going somewhere.

It sounds like the only appeal to the elephant picture is the artist who signed it.

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Perspective is also an issue. Ted's telling the story, not Lily. He was high on sandwiches when he saw the painting, and maybe only remembers Lily telling him it was of an elephant. Unless he looked it up later, Pretty good bet his recollection of that painting is fuzzy, if he remembers it at all. MAY not have been that bad...

20. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I disagree. Lily didn't go on a tirade about how teaching sucks.

I'm a teacher myself and I do have one of those days. I sometimes think about being a field biology scientist. It happens in every profession. I had teachers who thought about doing things differently. Some of them did briefly.

It's normal to have feelings like that. Really, the ship has sailed for Lily as an artist. Her internship in San Francisco went awful. And she liked that elephant painting. I think it won't last.