STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Beat me to it! A decade(?) ago, when the media first started reporting that human stem cells were being harvested from afterbirths, for use in saving other humans' lives - and then that politicians were getting worried about the repercussions, and passing laws - it sounded very science fictiony "magic"!

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have accepted a Khan has magic blood story in the prime universe as well. He is genetically engineered after all.

Del Toro or Bardem, or actually an Indian like Shah Rukh Khan, those would have been good choices for KHAN.

Cumberbatch is great, and his John Harrison seemed to be a pretty cool new villain, but he's definitely no Khan.

3. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Being a fan (and defender) of both is not mutually exclusive.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Years?

I thought they picked them up after hearing about the Botany Bay from Spock Prime (though I could have that part wrong)? If so, they would have had a year at most...

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

No, I think Section 31 did its own research into the whereabouts of the Botany Bay. I don't recall Spock Prime being identified as the source of the leak about the existence of Khan.

In this timeline, Harrison could have been around in the 23rd century almost as long as Kirk!

6. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Odd that Section 31 was so thorough in one time, and so completely inept in the other.

7. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Perhaps Section 31 is much bigger/better with more support in this timeline due to the whole Narada incident and the Earth almost destroyed etc.

Magic blood with regenerative properties is perhaps a scientific possibility? Has anyone looked it up? I guess I will have a look :)

8. Flake

9. BillJ

How do we know that they're inept?

10. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Kirk and crew finds them on accident in 2267, but S31 finds them deliberately, presumably several years before 2255-6? It just strikes me as odd.

I thought it was future Spock that let it be known too, but I guess that doesn't make much sense either if Harrison is supposed to be a tenured agent.

11. gornsky

gornsky Lieutenant Red Shirt

Here's an introductory article:http://stemcell.stanford.edu/research/adult_stem_cells.html

And something a little more meaty (Warning: details animal experimentation:http://www.ff.ul.pt/FCT/PTDC/DTP-FTO/0871/2012/Chapel_2003.pdf

In short, adult stem cells, including those derived from blood, are being used specifically in the treatment of multi-organ failure after radiation exposure. Combined with advances in post-trauma resuscitation, the "magic blood" thing is not as far-fetched as everyone is making it out to be.

12. Flake

Trek started before the whole stem cell thing erupted and it is infact star trek that is woefully out of date (something I have brought up before) and trek should have access to stem cell treatments because it is very much in our future.

Now the only thing in Treks defence is the apparent ban by the federation on genetic research which must have been a retcon to try to explain the lack of gene therapy in trek in the 90s, trouble is the ban doesn't make very much sense as evidenced by the sick little girl in STID.

13. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is because they're different people.

Montalban is dead. OldTrek is over.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2013
  15. BillJ

Why is resemblance important? My only question is can Cumberbatch make me believe he is Khan? I'll find out in just under two weeks.

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

This. McCoy even did it when he gave the old woman in TVH a pill that grew a new kidney (very fast). That technology must've been so common that he had the pill "in stock" in his little black bag.

Let's say Khan has restorative nanobots in his blood. That is an extremely credible science fiction concept compared to the "big three" of Trek science that hold the franchise together: warp speed, transporters, and artificial gravity. Those three are anywhere from infeasible to outright impossible. I'll even believe in "magic blood" before I believe a universal translator and that there are so many humanoid aliens with funny foreheads out there.

17. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. BillJ

19. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

And your perpetual overcompensation is proof that you're frustrated about it more than most. :p

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope. I'm getting what I want. :cool:

My patience with meaningless complaints does wear thin, though.