DS9 Ascendance cover!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterpriserules, May 14, 2015.

1. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

^ Energy? Hmm. I confess they look more "solid" to me, like crystal. Or maybe changeling material in transition. Or maybe like those water things from The Abyss. (And yeah, I know the last two things aren't really solids! ;))

Would energy leave a shadow?

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

The Defiant looks like she's getting blasted by Palpatine.

--Sran

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I attribute that to the limitations of CGI textures; computer art is better at conveying solid and liquid surfaces than more gaseous or intangible things. "Watery" may have been the closest available skin for what they had in mind, but the surrounding glow and the blue lightning extending around the Defiant suggest something more energy-based -- at least, by the standards of Trek/sci-fi, where "energy" and gas and plasma and glowy swirly things in general tend to be lumped together. Anyway, one can't take cover details too literally; better to focus on the general impression.

4. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Anyone else besides me annoyed that the DS9 novels have never taken the opportunity to label the current Defiant with the registry "NCC-74205-A"? Sure, I've heard that the use of A/B/C/D/E is silly in real life, but at least it would distinguish the second Defiant class Defiant from her predecessor, as the TV producers originally intended but couldn't achieve on their final TV arc budget.

5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

To me it looked like the Defiant was flying into some Crest toothpaste---not the regular stuff but that sparkly gel type the sell aimed at kids.

6. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm very happy with the explanation the first few post-finale DS9 novels came up with - that it was a deliberate attempt to make it look like the original Defiant was never destroyed at all and the Dominion were lying when they said it was. I think that's a cute piece of psychological warfare and I'd be disappointed to see it go.

7. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm. I don't remember that, but I like it!

8. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. :)

It might also explain why the new one also has a cloaking device. I guess the Romulans gave their support to the idea.

9. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Fair enough. It certainly could have been "energy" they were going for. (Although the shadows still throw me.)

"Captain, sensors detecting Cavity Creeps off the starboard bow!" :lol:

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I just have one question: shouldn't it be the original DS9 on the cover?

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's been unclear whether the novel was really set in the past or just flashing back to it with a frame story in the series present. The cover suggests that it's the latter.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am usually hit and miss when it comes to book covers, but this one grabbed my attention.

Very interesting to me.

13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Why is the Defiant being attacked by hair gel? :eek:

14. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I guess that's true. I didn't consider that possibility.