Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I know that full well. But I'm not talking about supervillains, I'm talking about themes. I'd also add that they haven't taken this theme from the movies. The only movie that might share the theme I'm talking about hasn't even aired yet. It's an important theme (appropriate for a Wheddon show and for the modern world), but it's one it developed.

I do agree that the show isn't dependent on tie-ins. In fact, they generally don't rely on them at all. Thor was a fun episode, but it didn't change anything. TWS is different, to me, because it centrally focuses on SHIELD. It's hard to imagine no consequences.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Hah! Suck on that Centipeede guy! Ha! I cut your legs off!"

"Cut one off and two more will take it's place!"

"Huh!? What!?"

"Nothing."

"What do you mean nothing?"

"I burped."

"What you just said..."

"Something my mother used to say a bout... "

"It's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally familiar."

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess I should've quoted Samurai, his was the thought I was applying my prior post towards.
    I guess when I used the word theme in my response, which was your train of thought, it muddled things a bit. Sorry about that Alidar.

The notion the show would just go on hiatus cause it can't directly bounce off the next few movies struck me as quite a bizarre thought worth a comment.

4. Alidar Jarok

Guy, I really hope Centipede is AIM and I hope, true to the comics, AIM is HYDRA.

Although the only known comicbook connection we have is CyberTek and Roxxon (as an aside, Roxxon were the ones who did the science experiment in Repairs). I doubt we're going with Aleksander Lukin as owner of Roxxon, but, since The Winter Soldier is being mentioned...

CaptainCraig, I see where you're coming from. I think it was the use of "theme" that threw me off. I agree with you, the show isn't going to go on hiatus to wait for the next movie. Especially since they said they have a two year plan. Besides, I'm pretty sure season 2 will end right at the same time as Avengers 2.

After that is more of a mystery. It depends on how the show is doing in season 2, I would think. But I could easily imagine a flashback heavy episode with Hank Pym in it, for example.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The show will go on hiatus for the summer and come back in the fall the same as any other ABC show. As long as it's a weekly series on commercial network television, it needs to fulfill the obligations of a network television show first, and promote the Marvel Cinematic Universe second.

6. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, absolutely. If Samurai just meant they'll go on their summer break, I think everyone is in agreement.

However, Marvel movies seem to be conveniently placed with only possibly Guardians of the Galaxy having no overlap time. But I'm not sure it has room for overlap in the show either, so that's not a big deal. Post-Avengers 2, perhaps it'll be more difficult. Ant-Man's date keeps moving, but, if it's a July movie, there won't be room for a crossover for two months. But I think we should wait a little while before debating what'll happen during Season 3 ;)

7. Guy Gardener

I have been avoiding spoilers, but I thought that Guardians was a space based adventure that Earthers would be wholly ignorant of?

8. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Isn't there an off-shoot of SHIELD devoted entirely to space-based politics, and one that often works with SHIELD when necessary? Maybe they need information about Star-Lord's past, so they call on SHIELD for help.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Are you referring to SWORD? I think they initially appeared in Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men, so I don't know if they'd technically be under Marvel's control or Fox's.

10. Alidar Jarok

That's my assumption.

11. Guy Gardener

S.W.O.R.D.

S.W.O.R.D: Sentient World Observation and Response Department (Marvel Comics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.W.O.R.D._(comics)

Beast, Henry McCoy is currently is dating the Director of S.W.O.R.D.

The Spider-Woman motion comics (barely animated cartoons) are about Jessica's job hunting Skrulls as an Agent of S.W.O.R.D..

12. Alidar Jarok

Interview with Maurissa Tancharoen and Jed Whedon

Very brief and relatively spoiler-free. One thing interesting was this:

It's the first time I've heard the list described as "large." I'm curious to see how they handle things.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's important that Deathlok be a succesful addition to the show. If he's not, then they may pull back on how fanciful their next pick from this "large" list is. I agree, it's the first time I've heard the list described that way but Marvel has some 10K characters in their library. Just a tenth of those are probably major characters and Marvel can tap into anything not Spidey, FF, Namor or X-Men.

We should perhaps start focusing our wish list on characters who have ties to SHIELD, no matter how remote and others for things like the Netflix route(eg Moon Knight, Blade).

Bobbi Morse-having Mockinbird is a good reason to have Renner stop by for a cameo leading up to Age of Ultron?
    Eric O'Grady-depending on how Ant-Man does or inspite of it.
    Wendell Vaughn-could appear as a trailing edge post GotG as S2 starts? Quasar, too much?
    Clay Quartermain
    Jimmy Woo

S2 reasonable expectations(?)
    Perhaps Cobie Smulders makes her appearances more regular giving us more Maria Hill? At least during Sweeps? Depending on what happens with Victoria Hand I guess.
    Maybe get guest appearances by Sharon Carter(Agent 13)? Wasn't this actress, like Cobie, used to TV work as well?

14. Alidar Jarok

Regarding Hawkeye. Keep in mind that, while Jeremy Renner's role in the movies so far has been limited, he's still a movie actor, not a television actor and would be difficult to get on the show.

15. Guy Gardener

The Unusuals wasn't that long ago and he's done Saturday Night Live recently as Hawkeye.

He might actually like growing Hawkeye, and lets face it, in the Avengers movies he's the junior, junior, junior partner.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, all I can say is that I hope they have the kind of perpetual screen-time and budget that Whedon seems to suggest they do. They've been moving in the right direction lately, but I think that they really need to get the lead out and get into more uber-cool situations, in order to last.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Wait... tonight is the "TAHITI" episode? I thought that one was a couple weeks ago and tonight was the Jaimie Alexandrea episode?

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, the last pre-Olympics episode was "T.R.A.C.K.S.", the one where Skye was shot. "T.A.H.I.T.I." (this is getting annoying) is tonight, and Sif appears in next week's "Yes Men" (thankfully, not fake-acronymed).

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ah, okay. I think the fake acronym is what threw me.

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

"T.A.H.I.T.I." reminds me of Star Trek III so far.