Baltimore! ... oh, shit. Now what?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Timby, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

That and Fort McHenry are definitely on the bucket list.

Let me know if you ever want to grab a bite to eat in the next 30 days or so. Lots of folks here have met me ... I'm harmless. :)

2. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Want to kill two birds with one stone and meet at AVAM? New annual show opens on October 5th, so I was planning to go soon anyway. And I'm a member, so we'd get a discount at the restaurant.

3. Timby

I'm tied up in Canton on the evening of October 5, and with not having a vehicle (I walk / water taxi everywhere) it could be really tight getting from Federal Hill back to Canton in time, but I'd be free any of the following weekends.

C'mon, folks! What else do I need to do? I keep thinking of going to the National Aquarium, but ... $35 admission, oof.

4. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

It's that much now!?!?

5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I was born there and visit from time to time. Great conventions, the museum's not bad (and free), the harbor is good (but expensive), join a 'bar crawl' for a wild night now and then (I joined one where everyone had to dress as zombies), see a football game, and if you want a good movie experience, check out the Senator Theatre. The bus system is alright, get a monthly pass though (cheapest in the long run). Baltimore is safer than what people are lead to believe (now a days) but try not to act like a tourist.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  6. Tora Ziyal

Any of those weekends would work. Send me a private message with suggested date/time. Museum's open 10-6, restaurant 11-4.

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I live in Dundalk, MD (and frequently visit Annapolis, staying with family), and always a skip away from Baltimore.

8. Tora Ziyal

Hey there, bbjeg. Almost neighbors. I live close enough to Dundalk that I go to the Planet Fitness on Merritt Blvd.

9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^That's walking distance from me.

There are a bunch of nature walks too for another free activity (though people tend to not think of forests when they think of Baltimore), they are worth checking out.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Where are you going back to, if you are?

11. Timby

Madison, Wisconsin.

12. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Is there work there waiting for you?

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Ahhhh, Packerland.

14. Tora Ziyal

Yeah, there are a lot of good places to walk/hike in the Balto area. Right now a friend and I are working on completing the Torrey Brown (formerly NCR) Trail, a couple miles at a time.

15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Have you been to a Legal Seafood yet?

The oysters on the half shell are amazing, and the swordfish is delicious.

:techman:

16. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

My trip stop is Madison is always to Babcock for some ice cream, and then The Great Dane for a Crop Circle Wheat. Good luck with the move back.

17. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what I've been asking myself too. In this time of economical hardship in the US it's not exactly recommendable to quit a job before having gotten another one. It's comperatively easy to find a job while still being under contract somewhere else but it's next to impossible to get a job out of unemployment, particularly self-inflicted unemployment.
    It's a psychological phenomenon: employers like to believe they have stolen a worker from their competitors. If someone is unemployed they hesitate to hire him, assuming that he must be a bad worker since nobody else wanted him. And if he quit himself and is unimployed he's sure to be capricious and difficult and will propably go again very soon if hired. So he might not be worth the trouble of hiring him.

Which all doesn't apply in this case, I'm sure. But tell that to the staff managers...

18. Timby

No, but my lease is up and I sure as hell am not spending another twelve months out here. I already have a few phone interviews set up for this week.

19. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Go to Dukem Ethiopian restaurant, and order an Injera.

20. Tora Ziyal

Don't know what an Injera is, but I definitely agree w/ going to Dukem!