Alternate history tv shows

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Jiangnan Freak, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Best SyFy flick ever made. You gotta love movies starring B-listers like Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yep, Tom Hanks never really made it anywhere after 9 seasons of Bosom Buddies.

3. Nerys Myk

Peter Scolari always finds a role for him in the films he does. Nice to see that kind of loyalty.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The best Trek series out of all of them was the one that took place entirely in the Mirror Universe. The Terran Empire is triumphant! :techman:

Also one of my favorite shows of all time was Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming. All six seasons.

5. sojourner

I really hated Kent McCord and Barry Van Dyke in that spin-off, Galactica 1980. Flying motorcycles, wtf?

Ah crap, I'm back in the right 'verse again, ain't I?

6. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Remember all the excitement when Gilligan's Island won 5 Emmys?

Naaah, forget it. That's too crazy even for an alternate universe.

7. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I loved that series 'Miami'. Crazy multiple storylines crossing back and forth. I liked the Michael Westen/Dexter Morgan episodes, and the season where Horatio Caine was going up against Dominic Toretto and Frank Martin. Car chases, transporting, smuggling, it had it all. And Caine versus Westen, well...

8. Nerys Myk

I though the arc focused on the two vice cops was pretty weak. Though them busting Blanche Devereaux for solicitation was a highlight.

9. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Aw, c'mon. You've at least got to give Hanks some credit for A Kind of Homecoming. Sure it was a low-budget indie flick, but his portrayal of Michael Collins bringing Apollo 11 home alone after the deaths of Armstrong and Aldrin is simply beautiful. For most of the film, he is the only person seen on-screen. In a fair universe, he would have won or at least have been nominated for an Oscar. Even the real Michael Collins broke over thirty years of being a recluse to comment positively on the film.

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

It was a shame that William Hartnell got sick so early into Doctor Who's short-lived run. This cult British show about an elderly traveller had potential. I wonder why they didn't just recast the role rather than cancel it?

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

They tried to do this show Kings that was about if modern America was a monarchy.

Unfortunately, it was soapy and awful, but it was a really cool idea for an AH premise.

12. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From what I read, they tried, but they just couldn't find anyone who looked AND sounded enough likr Hartnell to their satisfaction.

Now, here's the really crazy thing. There's argument between fan historians whether or not this really happened. But, supposedly, they considered hiring an actor who purposely would NOT resemble Hartnell. I know; I know, insane, right? The idea was that the Doctor would have returned to his red phone booth at the end of "The Tenth Planet", the one with the cybernetic Borg. He would have collapsed and and as his companions watched in amazement, Hartnell would have literally turned into a different person! No, I don't mean simply grow younger. I mean his height, hair color and bone and muscle structure of his face would have looked different! Really! I can only assume with that much changed, they would have taken it to the next level and had him behave differently! And his companions would notice this! The writers would not have simply swept the changes under the carpet to be ignored!

Yeah, I have my doubts this really happened, too. Strange thing, though. Remember the priest in "The Omen", the one who nearly got impaled by that spire struck by lightning? The one who helped Rock Hudson destroy the demon child. In an interview recorded during the making of that film, this Pat Troughton briefly mentioned something about a BBC casting call, one he attended in 1966. He didn't go into details, but said something about it being a time travel series. Do you think he might have been talking about "Doctor Who"? Could he have been the one considered as Hartnell's replacement? Nah, I don't buy it, either. He was probably considered for a guest role before production abruptly halted. Still, what a thought!

Sincerely,

Bill

13. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I think A Kind of Homecoming got ignored because of the truly weak depiction of the Eagle lander's crash. Since it was practically the opening scene, I believe it biased reviewers so much they couldn't see the awesomeness of Hank's performance. It's kind of like a mirror image of what happened to Harrison Ford in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Ford's portrayal of Roy Neary is subtle and very nuanced but the opening scenes of the alien spacecraft were so spectacular and mind-blowing that Ford's great performance was more or less overlooked. Of course, an argument could be made that the Academy just doesn't treat scifi seriously no matter how well its done. Look at Kubrick's 2001. You have a master director making a movie based on a Hugo-winning story, with the original author working daily side by side with the script adapters and the movie crushes the box office- and the only awards were Best Makeup and Best special effects. I think that slight is why, after the Methuselah's Children/2001 adaptation, Robert Heinlein refused to allow any more of his stories to be brought to the big screen.

14. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm surprised no one brought up the parallel world in Fringe where the West Wing is still on the air among other oddities from that world (Like alternate DC comics and Eric Stoltz starring in Back To The Future).

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

My favorite Arnold Schwarzenegger film has to be Stanley Kubrick's Superman (1978). His American accent was flawless, and he was the best Clark Kent I'd ever seen.

16. sojourner

DC Comics keeps trying to get a Batman movie made to add to it's continuing string of Aquaman movies. The Batman, what a second string character.:rolleyes:

17. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I wept when, after 20 seasons, Family Affair finally went off the air. Benedict Cumberbatch was an amazing Mr. French, with Catherine Zeta-Jones as Cissy, River Phoenix as Jody, and Kaley Cuoco as Buffy. Colm Meaney deserved all of his Emmys as Uncle Bill.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

we all know how Gotham ran for 10 seasons, before young Bruce Wayne donned the cape and cowl in the finale. But what if the producers had instead made a show about a young Clark Kent? Would this have meant that Superman Returns was less successful at the box office, just like many people blame Gotham for the underwhelming response to Batman Begins and its failure to land a sequel?

19. sojourner

Still, one of the funniest shows to date was the 2 episode cross over of M.A.S.H. and Hogan's Heroes.

Sgt. Holtz: "Nothing. I see nothing!"
    Radar: "It's ok sir. Klinger always dresses like that"

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

20. Nerys Myk

Weird that M*A*S*H didn't last as long as World War II. Speaking of the war. Anyone buy the crazy theory that Truman could have stopped the war in '45 by dropping ( I kid you not) an ATOMIC bomb on Japan!!!!! That would make for a good SF story.