Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Hey, I had a mix cassette tape just like that when I was that age. Mostly Queen tracks mixed in with the likes of Jive Bunny, Bomb the Bass, Pink Floyd and this little gem as I recall. ;)

One of the benefits of having three older brothers, each with their own tape deck and individual taste in music. So yeah, it seems perfectly credible to me.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  2. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Well, seeing as how I'm roughly the same age as the character, I can definitely say I never put a mix tape of mostly 70's music. I was busy "stealing" modern hits off the radio instead. And Hell, I wasn't even living in the United States (my father was stationed in Western Germany around then) and we still had easy access to American hits of the time.

We're talking the late 80s here. If it's more like ~80-83 it makes a lot more sense. And that certainly fits more closely with what little we've seen.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, i've hated most music I've heard made since 1990 (when I was born), not counting stuff by people I like who started before I was born but are still active (like weird Al), and a few random songs every once and a while. Most of the stuff I listen to is 60s-80s, and a large percentage of it is stuff my Dad also likes (although he also likes a good deal of stuff I don't like). So, music taste isn't always limited to stuff that comes out when you're young or as you're growing up, and not everyone grows up enjoying the music that is popular at the time.

4. Mister Fandango

This is a stereotypical character from a stereotypical time period, and he's fully intended to represent the era he was abducted from. It'd be like Marty McFly listening to Perry Como rather than Huey Lewis and the News.

So, again, the mix tape could have been made yesterday, in 2004, in 1997, or 1989, but it's far more likely that it was made in or around 1980.

5. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The walkman and the music are Quill's only connection to earth and his parents, it hardly matters what kind of music it is.

6. Mister Fandango

We were trying to establish when his abduction occurred, not what kind of music it was. We already know exactly what kind of music it was thanks to the soundtrack.

7. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

From the movie's Wiki article.

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always assumed that the tape was probably his father's.

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Or his mother's, given the comic book backstory.

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, that would be an odd mix for a 12 year old in the mid 80s-- not only are the songs five-to-ten years old, but popular music changed drastically in the early 80s.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Very young children don't always follow popular music *exclusively *. After all, to them, all music is new music. I distinctly recall my brother's eldest daughter (now a teenager) being a huge Beatles fan aged about 5-8. Hell, she could recite the lyrics to 'Love me Do' verbatim.

And as I said, for my part at least, my musical tastes at that age were a mish-mash of what I'd been exposed to from my parents, brothers and what had been in movies I'd liked. Despite growing up in the 80's I wasn't really aware of popular 80's music until much later. Not counting the odd number one that was playing everywhere of course, but those were usually novelty songs like this masterpiece or comedy records for charity. Of course that's all on this side of the pond. YMMV.

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Nick Fury, Wolverine and Rocket Raccoon are all at Wimbledon watching the mens finals...

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Oh wow, Thor's there too !

14. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

now thinking about seeing that mix of heroes onscreen :)

15. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey -- anyone have any idea what the rating of this film will be? i'm confused, because the GotG will have some kind of kids meal (I forget if it's Subway or somewhere else)...so it seems weird to market for little kids if it'll be rated R.

WHile the PG-13, IMHO, is a light one for Cap America & Avengers...films that would be thoroughly enjoyed by parents who would be happy to talk with their kids about the movie afterward.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

PG 13, like all the rest of the Marvel movies.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't ever see one of Marvel's main MCU movies going above PG-13. I could maybe, maybe see them going down to PG, but I don't ever see one of them being R. The only way I could see Marvel doing an R movie was if it was for something that was more of a side story, that wasn't really a big part of the MCU.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

There's no way they put an R-rated movie. It just doesn't make economic sense for Marvel to do that, especially with the shared universe they're pushing.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Punisher War Zone was rated R.

But yeah, no mainstream Marvel film will ever be rated R.

20. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OK...cause i think when this project was first coming out, people were saying it would "need" to be R.

I want to see it...but i have 2 kids..so wondering if it'd be OK.