Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old July 16 2014, 01:19 PM   #151
Trek Survivor
Captain

Re: So I have FINALLY started watching Enterprise... love it so far!!

Sorry I haven't updated for a while. Between the world cup and lots of DIY projects around the home, I haven't watched too many of late. However, have got five episodes to update on, starting with another trilogy...

"The Forge" / "Awakening" / "kir'shara":

Ok, first and foremost - nnnnnoooo! Not Admiral Forrest. Absolutely gutted this character got killed off. I really liked his supporting role, and - though Archer grimaced a little - it wasn't really treated with the drama and impact it should've been. Still, while I liked Forrest, you couldn't ask for a more dramatic opening to this set of episodes.

Robert Foxworth back in a very-similar role to Leyton from "Deep Space Nine"? Hmm. Didn't really buy him as a Vulcan, but I like the guy in everything I see him in, so we'll let it slide.

The story itself: Plenty of excitement, and Ambassador Soval came across well. From "villain" in the early series to a staunch ally of Enterprise now. I enjoyed how this trilogy of episodes suggests the Vulcans are going to be less pr**k-like in the future, which dovetails nicely with other Trek shows. T'Pol had some good moments, though I wasn't very keen on the character of T'Pau. I don't know if it was the actress choice or what, but she wasn't particularly likeable and even at the end, I didn't really "feel" what I thought the producers wanted me to feel about her fate.

"Daedalus": Well, I'm glad to be back to one-off episodes for a bit, and though the "twist" of this show was apparent almost from the outset, the episode itself was quite good. Bill Cobb is a likeable actor, but I'm not sure he was the right one for this part; also, the daughter made little impression - when your two guest cast don't feel quite 'right' in their parts, the episode is in a bit of trouble.

I DID like the effects of the 'warping' space as the trapped son tried to get back, and the death of that one crewmember was suitably horrific.

"Observer Effect": Now, this was a good episode. Directed very well, and I thought Dominic Keating did a good job under alien influence (though whenever Anthony Montgomery is given something meatier to do, his lack of acting chops shine through... sorry Mayweather fans!). The scene where Phlox realises what is happening, but also knows his memory is going to be 'tampered' with is unsettling, and the pace and atmosphere of this episode is just right.

Archer tending to Trip is sweet as well.

So, I am now exactly half-way through season 4... only 11 episodes to go! Season 4 has been good, but - contrary to general consensus it seems - I am not sure I will yet say it's the best so far. General quality seems a notch down on season 3 and no episode so far has beaten my favourite episodes from season 1-3 as yet.

Don't get me wrong, it's solid, but not quite as "wow" as maybe I was expecting from the hype.

Of course I hear the latter half of the season has some great episodes, so my opinion might yet change!
Old July 18 2014, 04:37 AM   #152
HopefulRomantic
Phloxist Moderator

Good to see you back, Trek Survivor.

"Observer Effect" is my favorite ENT episode. The rest of my "top 4" are in Season 3 - "Similitude," "The Forgotton," "Damage."

I also love the Vulcan trilogy because of Soval's character development. It's fun to look at the Soval of earlier seasons in hindsight, knowing the secrets he was keeping - he was a closet melder, he had an affinity for humanity all along, he had a great partnership with Admiral Forrest, and he was basically playing the VHC and serving a higher ideal. I totally loved Soval after this set of episodes. I think he and Archer could have developed a good give-and-take in later seasons, if we'd gotten them, because they finally started to see eye-to-eye in Season 4 and developed a good rapport. Ah, what might have been.

But the loss of Forrest was just... At least he had a good death, sacrificing himself to save Soval. A good man to the last.
Old July 18 2014, 09:49 AM   #153
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Soval...

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 01:23 PM   #154
Trek Survivor
Captain

"Babel One" / "United" / "Aenar":

What a FANTASTIC run of episodes! Definitely the best 'trilogy' story so far in season four. The backdrop of the peace talks, and the coming together of the Tellarites, Andorians and humans all worked very well into a decent plot of Romulan interference.

I thought I'd have my fill of the Romulans, but Enterprise has used them well. I also really liked the development of the Andorian race with the 'Aenar' (have they appeared anywhere else?). Potentially goofy-looking, they actually come across very well.

Again, the sets and special effects for Enterprise look superb.

The only bit that fell a little flat for me is the T'Pol/Trip stuff in 'Aenar' - if this were edited together as a feature length movie you could easily lose most of that stuff and the episode wouldn't really suffer (except for Trip's shock request for reassignment at the end, but you could cut that too).

Shran got over his girlfriend and moved on to the next a little quickly!!

All in all, a great trilogy of episodes, some of the best in season 4 so far!
Old July 22 2014, 03:41 PM   #155
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Trek Survivor wrote: View Post
I also really liked the development of the Andorian race with the 'Aenar' (have they appeared anywhere else?).
Well....

The Animated Series episode "Yesteryear" featured a light grey Andorian who took Spock's place in another timeline. The real reason he was light grey was because the guy who did the colours for TAS was colour blind (hence pink Tribbles and pink-clad Kzinti and Klingons in other episodes - all he saw were shades of grey!) It's a popular theory that the Aenar were invented to explain away that 30-year-old colouring error. Also, in The Next Generation, Andorians were green. We later see on Enterprise that...