Sons of Anarchy

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Master of Tarquin Hill, Nov 27, 2008.

1. The Master of Tarquin Hill

The Master of Tarquin Hill Commodore Commodore

If there has been an earlier substantial thread on this, go ahead and bring me to it.

This show just ended its first season.

I Love This Shit.

2. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I like the show too, but I have a couple criticisms, primarily that the characters and especially Clay are fucking stupid - how the hell did he not realise immediately that Opie was being set up by the ATF woman?

But I haven't seen the finale yet, so maybe they can make up for all that. ;)

3. The Master of Tarquin Hill

If they didn't act stupid, they wouldn't be low-life redneck bikers.

Cunning is what they need to be.. not smart.

4. The Master of Tarquin Hill

dupe

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  5. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm only half way through season 1, but as a big bike enthusiast I am absolutely LOVING this show.

I also have a great interest in outlaw motorcycle gangs, Hunter S. Thompsons Hell's Angels is one of my favourite books and I highly recommend it to anybody who is enjoying this TV show.

6. Roger Wilco

Yeah, but they aren't that street-smart/cunning either, for example they are way too violent than is good for them imo, and Tig is a fucking psycho.
    (spoiler - don't read, Pingfah ;)):
    Clay handled the thing with Opie terribly, firstly it was obvious that the woman from the ATF was setting Opie up to look like a rat - why pay back the loans and everything? That didn't make any sense. Also about the bugs in his car and cellphone - it would have been a lot more likely that he didn't know about them than that he did. And secondly he should have trusted Jax's judgement, or at the very least put the hit to a vote. There was no need to rush the assassination. If Opie really had been a rat, he would have had the whole club behind his decision, including Jax. And Opie himself deserved as much consideration in view of his loyalty to the club. That storyline was badly written imo, including Opie and Donna changing cars, which didn't make much sense either.

But anyway, I don't want to be too critical, because it definitely is one of the better tv shows I've seen lately. :)

7. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

As someone who has no interest in the "biker life" at all I've steered clear of this show. Would I like it despite that?

8. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

sidious, I'm not into the biker lifestyle either, but this show has pulled me in. I'm fascinated by the main character, Jax. His journey has been pretty consistent this season. There are some other interesting characters and dynamics going on as well. I think you'll enjoy it.

Clay should have given Opie the benefit of the doubt. That frame-up was obvious a mile away. I'm glad they didn't kill Opie as I have a soft spot for the actor. I didn't expect a happy ending for Opie and Donna. They've set them up for a tragic end from the beginning. It was either going to be death or divorce.

Does anyone else think Gemma and Clay had something to do with John Teller's death? I think they did, and that's what Gemma is so afraid Jax is going to find out. I mean she's insane and power hungry. But she's more than meddling, she's fanatical about Jax following in Clay's footsteps and not his father's. Makes me wonder why.

9. Roger Wilco

^^
    Yeah, that has been strongly implied. Maybe not, but there was obviously a serious conflict between them.

It's good television. I never even sat on a motorcycle and I like the show. ;)

10. mredom

mredom Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is my new favorite show. It is actually loosely based on "Hamlet", well acted, well written, and generally compelling television.

As far as the "biker" lifestyle. Not being a gangster didn't keep me from loving the Godfather movies, nor did my lack of political savvy keep me from enjoying West Wing.

Well written and acted drama will always trump subject matter. There is actually so little of it anymore, when it shows up, I can't help but watch.