Any plans for OT/Post-ROTJ Star Wars series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JediKnightButler, Sep 3, 2008.

1. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw the new "Clone Wars" movie and look forward to seeing the animated series as it premieres in October but what I really want to see are more stories from the OT, particularly some post-ROTJ stories and wanted to know if anybody has heard whether or not TPTB have any plans, assuming "Clone Wars" is successful, to adapt and/or produce an animated series that takes place sometime during the OT and/or the post-ROTJ period (I know that there is a live action series set to take place between ROTS and ANH. There is a pretty big gap between ANH and ESB with huge storytelling potential. "Shadows of the Empire", which takes place between ESB and ROTJ, has already been released as a novel, videogame, and soundtrack. Why not make it into a feature length animated film, particularly since it is already considered canon? If they can continue to "milk" the Clone Wars for stories surely, then surely there is more than enough material to work with during the OT and particularly the Post-ROTJ period (perhaps more, actually). Thoughts? Ideas?

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

"Shadows" is highly overrated, in my opinion.

That said, there are plenty of great stories set after ROTJ, and while I think it would be fun to see some of them TV-ized, I don't have faith that it could be done correctly. And better to not do it at all than to get it wrong.

As much as the prequels and Clone Wars stuff has called into question some aspects of the AC Crispin Han Solo trilogy, that's fairly minor all around; it's just one story. If a TV show came along and messed up the carefully-maintained post-ROTJ continuity, it'd play major havok with the unity of the Star Wars timeline. As I see it, the movies and TV show have lead in the prequel era and intra-trilogy era, with novels filling in the gaps. But the novels have lead in the post-ROTJ era.

Seeing how that unity is probably the biggest novelty of the Star Wars franchise as a whole, that'd be very unfortunate.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  3. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only thing I'm interested in seeing is a production of the Thrawn trilogy. It can be animated, but it should be targeted at adults not at kids the way the Clone Wars is.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't think we'll ever see any series post-OT, at least not starring the Big Three. Lucas has said on numerous occasions that, as far as he's concerned, the story of Star Wars ends with Return of the Jedi.

5. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Except for all those times he said otherwise. :p

Remember the official Star Wars website during the late '90s, when it had tabs for Episodes VII, VIII and IX? Yeah. :lol:

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Bah! I mean in recent years.

And no, I don't remember that. :p

7. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Uh oh.

Lindley(resident EU masturbator)is gonna ream your ***.

Edit to add: Too late!!!

:D

8. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt any adaptation of the post-ROTJ novels would be any good and plus it removes the wonder and mystery of the story and where it is going if it is based on the book, might not be that important for a movie but a TV series needs to have surprises and twists to keep you tuning in week after week.

Post-LotF era could offer a good era for a TV show. You still have familiar characters but you have a range of new characters to head the show. It might confuse new viewers how you get from ROTJ to post-LotF but thanks to the internet and places like wikipedia it is relatively easy and inexpensive for someone to catch up with the story. As for the EU, there is not much in that era to contradict, or course if you use EU characters they have a lot of backstory, but the amount that would be required depends on the show. It would still be a lot of work though.

If they don't do a post-ROTJ tv show or movie I don't mind since I think the EU has done a great job in that era already.

9. Lindley

I simply don't see any difference between the movies and the books, importance-wise. In fact, by and large the books are of better quality.

I mean, what'd happen if someone suggested wiping out the continuity of lots of on-screen stuff with a new movie, just because they wanted to revisit an era we hadn't seen in a while?

*Glances at Trek XI forum*.....uh.....nevermind.

10. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Look,

Lucas has problems keeping his own prequel universe in order. He's already tampered with the OT. Lets not encourage him to mess with them further by creating movies after Jedi. Because you know the moment he gets in in his head to do post Jedi stories, he'll think he has really cool ideas and want to go back and insert references to them in the OT.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not interested in animated Star Wars, particularly not the ugly style they've been using. But recasting the characters and picking the story up from ROTJ sounds good to me. If Star Trek can do it, why not?

12. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

The only reason Lucas made the Anakin trilogy is because he was low on money. And that's it.

So I suppose that he'll make the last trilogy when he is in the same boat again.

But he loves revising his Star Wars stuff and as for me I'm pretty much done with him.

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I highly doubt that was the case. I find it very difficult to believe that a man at the helm of the Lucasfilm studio could possibly be "low on money" at a time when sales of VHS releases and tie-in merchandise were strong and studio services were in high demand.

14. porthos_the_powerful

porthos_the_powerful Captain Captain

Lucas' net worth before the Prequels were released was two billion dollars. I think he was doing just fine.

http://www.salon.com/people/bc/1999/05/18/lucas/

15. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. The books are better than the movies. Most of the time, anyway. But of course, I too would like to see some kind of filmed adventure with Luke, Han, and Leia again. Film, TV, whatever.

Although I DO hope if it was animation, it would be an actual cartoon, rather than the weird looking CGI the current movie uses.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, the only reason he made the Anakin trilogy was because his technology had advanced to the point where he could make even MORE money.

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I remember reading somewhere (I think that it was in an interview) that Lucas wants his son to eventually take up the family business and make VII, VIII, IX.

18. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

They showed up around the time the site got a revamp when the prequels were announced. They had to put in sections for I, II and III and somehow a VII, VII and IX found their way in there too. No idea if it was sanctioned by the top men. :borg:

19. jonnyskywatcher

jonnyskywatcher Commander Red Shirt

Only if they use the Extended Universe as a well for ideas, because the EU has a lot of things that are just really stupid (Palpatine clones, Sun Crusher, Courtship of Princess Leia). I also don't really care for the style of animation they're using. I'd prefer something less stylish.

20. Lindley

I'll give you the clones. And that Courtship was a pretty weak book. But what's wrong with the Sun Crusher? I mean, the Jedi Academy trilogy has its issues, but I never thought of that as one of them.

Oh, and if nothing else, Courtship introduced the Hapes Consortium and initiated the series of events that eventually gave us Tenel Ka, so I can't hate it too much.