AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 30, 2010.

1. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Ah right right, they did do that didn't they. So this theory may well be valid still.

Something else I thought of after my initial post, if they weren't sure what causes the infection then what exactly was Jenner testing the blood for? I guess there are "markers" or something. Still it's a little weird.

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

"TS-19" garnered 6 million viewers (8.1 with the 11pm encore), and Robert Kirkman wishes that they "had killed more people" this season.

3. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love all the theories about the Doc's whisper but I hope it isnt "your wife's pregnant"... zzzz! :lol:

4. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Yeah, something tells me this episode won't have a lot of fans in the real CDC.

5. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like their heads have been surgically implanted up their rectums. Zombies probably have better taste and they're mindless animals.

Just wanted to add that the season finale was awesome just like the previous 5 episodes have been. And Shane is a real douchbag. That guy is gonna be trouble.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  6. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I think he realized that and tried to apologize without seaming alerting Rick and the others. I kind of feel bad for Shane, with the apocalypse he was the leader until Rick showed up. Not only negated to second fiddle in the group but also with Lori. Maybe he held a passion for her that ran long before the incident. For men like Shane, loosing those things are very tough, mentally. Add alcohol to the mix and you have very poor choices made easily.

I have not read the comics, but deviations like going to CDC can easily be explained. These events happen in the time frame between issues. From what I understand, when they left the camp they went to a gated community. As long as after leaving the CDC, they end up in a gated community and more or less the events unfold that happen in the comics you have no continuity issue with the comics.

PS: Count me in as one of those who watches The Walking Dead in the daytime.

7. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

The Toshiba 4S is
    1. not the size of one they use on a nuclear sub (which is the point I was arguing, not fair to move the goalposts mid-kick)
    2. still under development, and therefore not available for general use anyway.

8. PsychoPere

Three problems. 1) With most of the issues, there is no passage of time between issues at all. For the most part, each issue carries on from the one directly before it. In fact, at the moment, I cannot recall a single instance where there was a passage of time between issues (though I admit my memory may be lacking, as it has been some time since I've read any issues).

2) You're simultaneously creating and trying to explain a "continuity issue" that doesn't even exist in the first place for those of us who have read the comics. We want the show to deviate. If it doesn't, if it literally adapted only what was on the printed page, there'd be no point to adapting for television at all.

3) Shane was dead at this point in the comics. How's that for a "continuity issue"? ;)

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad my Rick is a SuperZombie theory is out there enough that nobody thought of it. I actually wondered if it was so obvious ten people would propose it before I ever got a chance. Sucks being a) on the West Coast and b) too chicken to watch the show at night.

I'm in the "give Shane a break" camp, largely because the actor is making the character sympathetic when he could really come off horribly.

I wonder if the real CDC is rigged to explode in a BIG ASS fireball? :rommie:

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

TWD made history becoming the most watched 18-49 adults show in basic cable history and the show ended its debut season with series high ratings in viewers as well.

:techman: dam nice.

11. PsychoPere

^ *ahem* ;) :p

Nice to see that a show like this that was "out there" in terms of risks could make a demographic record.

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Sorry. :angel:

Well, this was another great episode. It's a damn shame we have to wait a whole year for more.

While the CDC scenes were definitely inspired by Lost, they worked well-- and gave the characters a nice little breather. And I'm really happy the old guy survived. The actors on this show range from good to really good, but he is without a doubt the best.

13. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

Maybe the reason they took the show characters to the CDC is because it didn't happen in the comic, and people were wondering why. I mean, really, Rick made a ton of sense thinking that the CDC might still be up and running and have answers. It is their raison d'etre after all.

14. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As someone mentioned, i was really thinking the newer "I am Legend" movie more than Lost (i.e. seemingly last man in the world trying to save people turned into zombies).

And add me to the "I am sooooo glad Dale survived" fan club. i was really worried he would die there. But it just shows what a great guy he is. i'm glad he made Andrea come to her senses & get out of there.

Dale, with his combination of compassion, wisdom, and weirdness, is a great character.

I also like Glenn (Steve Yeun has done a great job giving Glenn fear mixed with courage, some honest emotion), and Darryl (i really hope in the next season they have him grow as person. He seems like he slowly is...he actually looked disturbed by Carol smashing in her husband's head -- more times than Darryl did with the others!)

15. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One more thing I'm puzzled by. Shane pretty much watched govt troops hunting down and shooting innocent people like dogs in the opening scene. Yet he's all gung ho for the group to going rushing straight towards the nearest military base. The hell?

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course he survived. He's in the opening credits. And so is the blonde. :p

17. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's probably thinking there;s a difference between those secial shock troops (CDC related, in his mind) vs. regular guys like him.

Do we know what was going on just prior to Shane visiting Rick in his room? what was his understanding of what th etroops were doing?

Also, was he the one who locked up the room that Rick found, that was marked, and had the dead's hands tyring to reach through?

18. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

As I said, I haven't read the comic and if there is no real passage of time then okay. I know many writers, would go back and add or subtract things if the had a chance after things are published. (Steven King comes to mind) I know the writer of the comic is part of the writing team, so maybe the whole CDC thing would have been something he would have liked to do.

I was trying to give a plausible reason why events not happening in the comic would have on the show. Like when the group of four returned to the camp during the Walkers attack. We only saw them running the last bit up the road to the camp. We don't know if they actually used a car for the majority of the trip and it ran out of gas and had to foot the rest. In the long run, its not important to the story how they got back to camp relatively quickly, but based on many responses here I think some people wanted to know how they were able to do it.

I was aware that the character of Shane was already dead, I think I know how and don't want to repeat it for those who don't want to know. However I don't know when it actually happen. Is it before they leave the camp area?

19. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe that Kirkman has stated that when he wrote the book he didn't know the CDC was in Atlanta or he would have included a visit there.

Yeah it was before they left camp. We've actually already seen the scene that led up to Shane's death, but then the series took a left turn.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm know I'm late coming to this thread, but I just wanted to say how utterly amazing I think this show is. I've actually been watching it since the pilot but I somehow missed this thread.
    I don't know how anyone one else feels, but IMO that finale was one of the best hours of TV I have ever seen in my life. (I have to admit, I almost lost it when Dale refused to leave Andrea.)