Shore Leave

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by dansigal, Jul 17, 2013.

1. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

I'm going to Shore Leave in August as my first ever convention, mostly because a lot of my favorite Trek authors, many who post here regularly, are attending. I have been reading through the website to see if authors are selling their books there or if you should/can bring your own copies for autographs, plus if and how much authors usually charge, but couldn't find anything. Anyone have any insight?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^There's a bookseller, Constellation Books, that's in attendance at the con and usually has copies of all the guests' books available for people to buy. A number of authors also have copies of their own books on sale at their tables during the Meet the Pros event. But if you already have copies of your own, sure, bring them with you.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

What Christopher said. Constellation is very good at stocking the authors' most recent books, although you're perfectly free to bring books from home that you want signed as well. And some, but not all, authors may have a small supply of their own to sell.

4. Bob Greenberger

Bob Greenberger Writer Red Shirt

Sadly, Constellation closed a few months back but the con organizers assure me the replacement retailer has all the ISBNs for the authors' current works and should arrive well stocked. Just about every author comes with books of their own to sell in addition to related items (for example, Peter David brings comic book scripts). The Crazy 8 Press authors will be on hand with several titles debuting, as well.

Personally, my policy is not to compete with the bookseller and I only bring out-of-print titles for people to buy since there's always someone who hasn't read our older works. Those and my C8 titles.

The authors in attendance will happily sign anything you stick in front of them regardless of how you obtained it.

5. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Will any new Trek books be announced?

6. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TrekCore has an article about the upcoming Shore leave and David Mack said he was going to announce a new Star trek Book project as well as other books other authors have been working on was also mentioned in the article.

7. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. Greg Cox

I'm hoping to reveal more about my next Trek book at the con . . . .

9. Defcon

And Dayton has indicated in a Facebook post linking to the article above that his next book will be talked about at Shore Leave as well, although he won't be there this year.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Darn, I've got nothing coming up that I haven't announced already.

11. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

Enjoy Shore leave Saturday is completly sold out ! I love that I finally get to meet Shatner, but it's gonna be a total zoo!

12. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A perfect opportunity to make something up! ;)

13. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

*cough cough* RotF:ACoF annotations *cough cough* ;)

14. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I'm hoping I'll be able to announce The Project That Cannot Be Named (Yet) at Shore Leave. :)

15. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Trek related project?

16. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Exciting stuff. Another question: I may not be able to make the Meet the Pros event because of work. What are the meet the authors/autograph opportunities during Saturday?

17. Defcon

I doubt it. Keith has first mentioned it in December 2012, and due to NDAs hasn't been able to talk about if for more than 7 months now. Doesn't really sound like anything Trek related to me.

(Unless it is a "nu"Trek line from another publisher; would be kind of cool if Keith could give Schlesinger & Co. a big fat FU like that, but I doubt that's it. :rommie:)

18. Greg Cox

The official book signings are Friday night, but I often try to plant myself at the booksellers table for a hour or so on Saturday depending on when I happen to have a gap in my schedule. And many of the other authors try to do the same.

Also, I can't speak for everybody, but very few authors object to signing a few books after a panel or a reading, provided we're not in a hurry to get to another event on the opposite side of the hotel. Ditto for approaching us in the halls, or if we're just idly wandering through the dealer's room or snack bar . . . .

I kinda figure our job is to be accessible to the fans, within reason.

For example: Last year, I was hanging out in the snack bar doing a crossword puzzle when somebody politely asked me to sign a book for them. I had no problem with that whatsoever and was happy to do so.

The whole point of going to these things is to meet the fans.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  19. cheesepuff316

cheesepuff316 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

A new Titan adventure? :)

20. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A DTI ebook!