What if a BSG-styled remake of Babylon 5 was made?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Joe Washington, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I could be wrong but I think the original video FX files have been lost/misplaced/wiped so everything would have to be re-rendered from scratch.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Regardless, I would argue for maintaining the effects as they are. Even when the show aired they were subpar and a little cartoonish, but it was cutting edge CGI for the day and had its own artistic style and rendering that I feel fits nicely with the live action aesthetic of the show.

3. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The nBSG style would work best in the Earth Minbari War. Imagine 5 years of certain doom with absolutely no hope.

4. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Wow - that's interesting.

I actually wrote a letter to the Sunday Times tv magazine, the week before SiL aired, expressing my disdain for Ch. 9's treatment of B5 and the fact that the finale (which at that point, I had already seen) would not appreciated by the audience it deserved.

The editor put the typical snide, pithy response.

I kept the letter from the page it was printed on and I'll transpose it once it get home from work later.

5. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

<Sigh> FFS WBs, either sh*t or get off the pot for Christ's sake.

I'll happily take a movie, but with the current spate of remakes/reboots/continuations, the continued gross under appreciation of one of the genre's greatest contributions, certainly on the small screen, is damned infuriating. :scream:

6. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Well, JMS will give WB an opportunity to be involved but - and this is a kicker - JMS and his Studio JMS are the only studio who would make the feature because he doesn't own the TV rights. Any other studio is naturally going to want all the rights. JMS doesn't care about that, apparently.

It may be around here upthread but in the interest of time, here's a link to the transcription I did of JMS making the announcement in July 2014:
    http://freebabylon5.com/b5-movie-news-announcement-transcript/

I admit to being curious as to the effect the lack of TV rights might have on his getting funding but JMS is a much bigger name now than he was in 1993.

Jan

7. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

You do know that 'O'Hare' had some mental health issues, right? Aside from that, I think his acting (and Boxleitner's) was fine.

As well, since JMS is doing a Babylon 5 remake as soon as he can get a distributor and the financing for a movie, to say that nobody can replace the actors in question is presumptuous, since said movie will have said new actors in place replacing Michael O'Hare, Bruce Boxleitner, Mira Furlan, Peter Jurassik, Andreas Katsulas, Jerry Doyle and the rest.

My sentiments exactly, and I'd also like to include CBS Studios in this sentiment as well for not letting Star Trek be back as a TV show on TV. Either do a new movie, TV show, put the original show back in syndication, or sell back the IP to JMS.

He's also a much older man now, and time is of the essence in getting this off of the ground. It's time for the companies concerned to act or bugger off and get out of JMS's way.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  8. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

While hi might change his mind, JMS has said in the past that nobody will ever play G'Kar again. And in the reboot TV series that was contracted but fell through a few years ago, JMS said that G'Kar was a figure like G'Quan had been in the series - spoken of but not seen.

Sadly, WB seems to prefer the 'we refuse to do anything but nobody else can have it, either' business model. Oh, and streaming the episodes for $2/episode.

Hey, he's only 61 - hardly at death's door. Seems like he gets busier every year.

9. Shaka Zulu

^Anything can happen in your sixties, health-wise; I want Mike to do this while he's still here rather than let somebody else do it and (probably) fuck it up. This is not Star Trek that didn't really need Gene Roddenberry, this is Babylon 5 that needs JMS badly or it won't really work as well.

He said that he didn't want the fans to provide him with crowdfunding monies: heck, I say that he should get that money from a ton of fans just to buy Babylon 5 back from Warners.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  10. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

He's only mentioned it publicly a couple of times but apparently Joe did try to buy the rights back from WB and negotiations petered out after initial interest. For some reason WB seems determined for the show to fade to obscurity.

11. Shaka Zulu

^That's corporations for you. :rolleyes:

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

At this point I'd take any well written heavily serial space opera.

But I'd rather have an original one.

13. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I'll bang the drum again for an adaptation of Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space universe -- only a small number of weird aliens, an explanation for the Great Filter, transhumans of several varieties, nanotech going wrong, ubercool exotic weapons, no FTL except with unsettling consequences, no telepathy except using technology, bad robots who have a rationale for their extreme behaviour, planets being blown up in various different ways, religious zealotry and other hubris galore.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  14. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

How about Kim Stanley Robinson's 'Red Mars'? JMS has finished a script for Spike TV and is working on the series bible now. Then...it's up to them.

Jan

15. Scotchy

Scotchy Commander Red Shirt

They could still do the Babylon 4 story. Technically not a reboot, but it could still be great if they put it on Netflix where JMS wouldn't be hounded by a crummy network like he was with Crusade. I also wouldn't mind at least a movie to truly wrap up Crusade, I liked that show.

16. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I would absolutely love a Valen miniseries. B4, the end of the First Great Shadow War, or whatever it's called, B4 and Valen could show up in the last half of the series. Like if it's a 13 show season, he'd show up in episode 6 or 7 maybe? Give us some good time to meet the Minbari and establish the characters, and set the background, no previous knowledge of B5 would be necessary.