Red Faction Guerrilla: Getting my ass to Mars

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jim Steele, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Who else has Red Faction: G?

I got it yesterday and played it for a good 6 hours, barely scratching the surface. It's damn good.

The destruction engine, obviously the selling point here, makes this game one of the best sandboxes I've ever played. Got 5 minutes to kill? Level that building. Then run away, like some prankster toddler (who happens to be a demolitions expert).

Also, the gunplay and upgrades system are worth noting as well. They've lifted the core mechanics from Gears of War's shooting - the cover system, 4 weapon slots, run n' gunning etc... also, many of the weapons feel *very* similar to their Gears equivalents. This is not a criticism. It's nice to have an open world game that nails the combat (aside from GTA 4).

Gameplay wise, it's almost perfect. Unfortunately the plot is paper thin, populated with forgettable characters and only the slightest sense of purpose. It's a shame in a way, because the setting and the world they've constructed beg for a stonking story to go with it. Fortunately, the fun factor doesn't suffer much.

This is a shit "review", I know, but basically it's GTA meets Total Recall with a hint of Gears and it's awesome.

What say you?

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

A friend of mine loved the PS2 versions but I could never get into them and the gameplay looked soo OTT and unbalanced so I was going to ignore this game. However recent reviews being well quite stellar for the game has made me at least willing to give the demo a try on X Box Live though apart from slow pace FPS games I prefer to play FPS on PC but I don't game anymore on PC these days.

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

It's one of the few "open world" games I've really enjoyed. Tons of fun to play, and destroying the buildings is a great way to kill time.

I have noticed the physics on the building destruction is well dodgy though. I've seen buildings stay standing with just a pipe holding it up.

I've only spent 3 or so hours on it so far, but I put it on for my friend to have a quick go on yesterday, to see if he wanted to get it, and he spent half the day on it. So I guess he loved it too.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but what cover system?

4. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Hit the left bumper when you're by a piece of cover to snap to it, same as GTA IV.

Oh yeah, I've noticed a lot of that too. Pretty hilarious sometimes. Although I can forgive it for its foibles, the overall package being so bloody impressive.

5. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I've just realised what game Red Faction really reminds me of, Crackdown. I know it's only in the broadest sense, but what really matters is that the fun is there... and also, same voice over guy.

6. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Got this yesterday, it's highly therapeutic.

Killing people taking cover behind a wall by smashing through the wall with your hammer is deeply pleasing.

It has a strong Crackdown vibe but that's all to the good.