Starfleet Procurement Policy Draft

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Nob Akimoto, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Egger

Egger Lieutenant Red Shirt

We should also bear in mind that the NX class was the first warp 5 ship. Maybe Starfleet could build their old slow ships more like your TNG-era approach, but with the new ships they saw that this design is too weak. So they changed their later designs to "endo skeleton with compartments" and then in TMP they reached the tech level to slowly go for the lighter "exoskeleton with hull filled with modules" again.

2. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

That's the alternate timeline. NX-01 already had some form of structural integrity fields back in the 22nd century; different technical progression there.

3. Egger

YES! Finally a good explanation for the different shapes of Starfleet vessels and their warp nacelles. It even applies perfectly for old ships like the Excelsior.

Your text also reminded me of an idea I recently had about the Galaxy class development. There is a third ship with Galaxy-class nacelles, the Challenger. That odd nacelle over nacelle design.
    I think of it as a technology testbed especially for the new warp engines. On that ship they would be tested before implemented into the Nebula and Galaxy classes.

4. Egger

Not neccessarily, there are things which speak for it being the alternate timeline (I suppose you mean the Abramsverse) and things speaking against that, like the last episode of Enterprise. If things are as muddled as Enterprise, I think it's a matter of opinion. Since I don't like NuTrek, but I like Enterprise (at least in part) I want it to be part of the prime timeline, so I'm searching for ways to reconcile that series with it.

5. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

Yeah, the Challenger makes sense as a testbed. Though the name doesn't make a lot of sense unless NCC-71099 (named presumably in honor of OV-99) was commissioned after the testbed Challenger was prematurely decommissioned. (perhaps an accident?)

6. Egger

Challenger, as in "challenge every warp engine build to this point".

As for the accident, yeah, maybe even a TMP-style wormhole effect.

7. Nob Akimoto

Also, interestingly Enterprise was a common testbed name for things like steam ships back in the day.

8. Egger

Yeah. Enterprise, Challenger, Endeavor, Venture ... all good names for something new and bold.

9. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Let me get this straight: you liked "These are the Voyages" but you DIDN'T like the last two Star Trek movies?:wtf:

It's ALWAYS a matter of opinion, but we know for a fact that Enterprise is part of the Abrams timeline even if we do not for certain know this of the TOS timeline. Otherwise, it's just one more thing that cannot really BE reconciled between Enterprise and the rest of trek canon.

10. Nob Akimoto

I don't think he said he liked TATV, just that he liked Enterprise but not Abramsflicks.

Also tie-in material at least tells us ENT is part of the Trek Timeline writ large, so I don't think it's a useful divergence point.

11. Egger

I knew I shouldn't have deleted the "(awful)" in front of "last episode of Enterprise". :lol:

No really, what I meant is that it's just a (rather strong) bit of canonical information supporting the stance of that series being part of the prime timeline. It was an example.

12. Nob Akimoto

I don't actually recall a SIF being mentioned in ENT. What I do remember is Trip and Reed talking about making the ship's structural integrity (no field) bear the brunt of the phase cannon recoil. Poking around at Memory Alpha, there's also mention of NX-01 suffering all sorts of nasty stress microfractures during her mission in the Delphic Expanse and that they needed hull polarization to overcome it.

So there's definitely not an SIF in the way we know it in the 24th century going on in ENT.

13. Nob Akimoto

Do wish the Pegasus had used one of the Wolf 359 models instead of an Oberth.

14. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I really like and agree with what the latest sidebar has to offer on warp nacelles and warp field. I am a bit surprised you didn't discuss the concept of "subspace drag" at all, though, which seems to be responsible for a lot of the "streamlining" seen on starships.

Regarding SIF in the ENT era, I could see polarized hull plating somehow being a predecessor to the modern SIF, and I would also find it likely that the ENT era were probably assembled as one big pressure compartment, with areas like the catamarans that didn't need to be pressurized, not being pressurized at all.

15. Nob Akimoto

Well "subspace drag" I think is going to come on the "hull design" side-bar, rather than the nacelle one. Also I think the longer nacelles and the "longer" hull geometry in the Excelsior also involves transwarp in that, perhaps Starfleet designers, finally having found out about peak transition thresholds, were then convinced that their transwarp project could let them cross additional thresholds with a really elongated warp nacelle design that would project the needed field.

Just food for thought.

16. Nob Akimoto

Another side bar, this time on tactical systems.

Just as speculative as other sections, I'm sure I'll have plenty of disagreement on this one.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    WildKazoo likes this.
  17. Nob Akimoto

Next full chapter. 2370 - 2381...

18. zDarby

zDarby Lieutenant Red Shirt

I appreciate your warp nacelle design past tremendously. It very much feels like a genuine engineering introductory text. Very impressive. I see no logical inconsistencies. And I'll be using it as an assumption base from now on. I hope you don't mind.

I'll have to re-read the weapons post to fully understand it. I admit to not paying much attention to the weapons systems in the past.

And the historical overview is a nice touch. Very nice.

Very nice all around. :techman:

19. Nob Akimoto

Another side bar: Starfleet ship production capabilities and methods.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  20. Egger

Okona Shipyards?... this is outrageous! :lol: