Charting the Novel-verse

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, May 26, 2010.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does it matter if it is, in some minor way?

2. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

I grew up with Sw EU so i like to keep my universe consistent.

What about the "Errand Trilogies"?

memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Errand_of_Vengeance

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not that I know of; on the contrary, it's become the one source that every other book or comic about the Stargazer has treated as gospel. Although it has been contradicted in a couple of small ways by later canon. For one thing, it shows Jack Crusher dying during a repair operation in space, but a later TNG episode established that Jack died on an "away mission," although no other details were given (so it's possible to reconcile it if you squint a little). For another, it was written based on the assumption of early TNG that holodecks were a fairly recent innovation, because there's a scene where Worf is showing off the Enterprise's holodeck to the visiting Starfleet officers and explaining how it works, and they're all amazed as if they've never seen one before. It was later established that holodecks were an earlier and more commonplace invention, so that scene feels rather awkward today.

But those are no worse than the inconsistencies between earlier and later canon episodes when it comes to things like the holodeck or character backstories or whatever. For that reason, and because of how influential Reunion has become on subsequent Trek Lit, I find it's best just to gloss over the minor continuity issues and accept the bulk of the work. (I just skip over the "Here's how a holodeck works" sequence.)

4. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Thanks.

5. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Are there comics/comic series that don't follow the main characters(those who were on tv) besides Starfleet Academy and Early Voyages?

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

there is a NF one-shot called "Double Time" from Wildstorm and a mini-series called "Turnabout" from IDW.

7. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Nothing else?

8. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's way more than that...

• Marvel published a Romulan/ Borg comic entitled 'Operation: Assimilation.'
    • Wildstorm published a comic anthology 'Star Trek Special' which contained a few stories not based on the main characters.
    • IDW has 6 or 7 issues which star TOS Romulans.
    • They also published several Alien Spotlight, Crew, and Captain's Log comics which either star all new characters or at least secondary characters.
    • There's also IDWs Assignment: Earth miniseries starring Gary Seven.
    • There are several issues of Malibu and DC comics which I think are basically spin offs which don't star the main characters much if at all, but I couldn't tell you offhand which ones.

9. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

I'm new to Trek literature. Any suggestions on where I should start?

10. captcalhoun

did you read the thread?

11. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was wondering if they will release any more IDW STAR TREK comics on the nook?

12. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Check my signature :)

13. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

Thanks. With so many choices and suggestions I wasn't quite sure where to start.

14. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Thrawn - thanks, I have been reading Trek Lit for a long time, and there is so much in my brain that this list really helped!

15. Travis Chesser

Travis Chesser Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hey, long time lurker, don't respond much, but I was wondering if anyone could clarify some of the dates (in modern years and months) the current books take place. I know some books are really good at putting the month and year and some don't, I like to have that information, helps my spatial awareness. Thanks!

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Typhon Pact, DTI, new Voyager Relaunch, and Indistinguishale From Magic cover from 2381-'83.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Plagues of Night" starts in April 2382 and ends in August 2383.

It's weird to realize that, by "now", Picard's commanded the Enterprise-E for longer than the -D, and the events of the DS9 TV show finished 8 years ago.

Weird in a good way.

18. Travis Chesser

Travis Chesser Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yeah, I know Plagues of Night has the dates and some of the other novels do as well. But going back to roughly post-Nemesis I was wondering if anyone, or any site, had the listings of the year and months that books took place. I really am spatially challenged and it is a handy resource when I can see that year and month, etc.

19. captcalhoun

Memory Beta would be your friend.

memory-beta.wikia.com

20. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Memory Beta is still pretty sketchy when it comes to the most recent batch of novels though.