Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wish Nemesis made a callback to something....anything. As it was, it took a dump on TNG's continuity. First, they created another Soong android, simultaneously ignoring the existence of Lore, it made Worf's voice deeper (because the director was a moron), and Wesley reappeared as a Starfleet officer.

I always found the TOS movies to be superior to the TV show, but the TNG movies are inferior to TNG as a whole, First Contact included.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Man you guys are fast with the season 3 viewing. The only thing I've seen is Best of Both Worlds in theaters, and the special features. I'm looking forward to revisiting some of these episodes I haven't seen in a long while like Deja Q, Booby Trap, The Hunted, Vengeance Factor, and The Price.

3. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Yesterday's Enterprise commentary is a lot of fun to listen to. RDM is right, this should have been the TNG movie, with the original crew meeting the TNG crew. He was also right and so was Ira this would have made a really cool 2 part episode if they had the time to think this all through, but there was such a lack of time working on scripts this season

-Chris

4. cbspock

I really wish there were call backs to Tomalok, etc in Nemesis. The TNG movies were not really like the series. They changed the dynamics of the show when it jumped to the movies. For TOS they just made sure to link it to the old show, and showed the characters older, put them in slightly different roles and situations, and then turned the movies into an event like episodes sort of like Season 2- Doomsday Machine, Ultimate Computer, Immunity Syndrome, etc. Plus they kept the crew relationships intact. We sort of knew what Spock and Kirk would do based on past behavior in Menagerie, Immunity Syndrome, Tholian Web, Bread and Circuses, etc.

-Chris

5. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Can't believe some of you never noticed the early S3 interim uniforms and bright bridge carpet. What kind of fans are you!? :D

Finished the main documentaries (not the writers room) on the set and one thing that kind of annoyed me this time and wasn't so bad in the prior sets was you'd have the writers like Snodgrass or Stillwell talking and they'd be showing lighting passes of Gomtu. My brain had a hard time following what really seemed like them rambling while trying to appreciate the effect shots. It's almost like Burnett/Lay knew they had some rambling moments and said hey let's just overlay some cool effects shots to mask the rambling.

Other than that it was great stuff. I can't wait to hear Behr on the DS9 sets. TNG would have been far different if he had been calling the shots, that's for sure (see Captains Holiday story).

6. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed 100%

I haven't seen the commentary, but I never took it as a statement about the earlier writing staff. I always liked how Yar died in the line of duty, a good soldier.

7. cbspock

Loved the commentary tracks on all the episodes so far. Offspring another great episode. Now I am up to the commentary on Sins of the Father. Man, that opening ship shot in this episode really sucks. I really enjoy hearing Ira and RDM talk about the show. It is also interesting everything they felt was wrong with TNG, they sort of fixed on DS9, and then of course RDM fixed it all on Galactica. :)

Also, note, on the DVD I did notice the brighter carpet on the bridge in Season 3, however it looks even brighter on the blu..lol

-Chris

8. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. Television drama tropes and cliches be damned, I thought that the TNG crew operated more like a realistic working environment because of the lack of over-the-top contrived conflict between crew members.

meh, I thought galactica was terrible after about season 2 or 3. turned from interesting science fiction into religious mumbo jumbo... which ds9 showed major signs of as well.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Cadet Newbie

10. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Probably been asked before, but do the ships main phasers seems to be firing a lot quicker in the BlueRays?

11. tomalak301

Well, I finally got into the season with Evolution tonight. I really like this episode, mainly because it set the theme of daplomacy into motion that would be focused on a lot throughout the season. Also, one of the most underrated scenes or set of scenes in the series was everything dealing with Baseball in this episode. I wonder if Stubbs knew about the advanced stats too like WAR, BABIP, stuff like that.

Anyway, some thoughts so far:

-One of the bad things about starting so late is the uniform discussion has probably already come and gone. I did notice the vertical lines but not the horizontal lines. When do the new uniforms come?

-Man the remastering makes things look colorful. The scenes showing the phenomenon were amazing, but we knew that already because of the trailer

-Speaking of bright, what was up with Troi's lipstick. Beverly might have had the same Lipstick but it was brighter on Troi. Man that was a tad distracting.

12. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Yeah, Troi's waaay OTT lipstick has been commented on before. I really have no clue what the make-up artists were thinking!

13. sadsquid

sadsquid Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just watched the gag reel. Another great bunch of outtakes! You really get a feel for how comfortable the actors all were with each other. The final one was unexpected and hilarious!

14. cbspock

That was the most interesting part of DS9, when they did the Bajoran Religion, same with those aspects on BSG.

-Chris

15. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

lol. And I don't use lols often. You call Tasha's death a sacrifice? She simply walked in one direction and died before she even finished her sentence. How can you cheapen something that was written and executed on the cheap? And regardless, I don't think Tasha's death was cheapened by Yesterday's Enterprise because this wasn't about that Tasha. It was about the one from Yesterday's Enterprise. She was the one who was willing to sacrifice herself because she knew that once they restore the time line, she will be dead. That Tasha made the sacrifice, not the season one Tasha.

16. DJ Mike

DJ Mike Ensign Red Shirt

Ha! Go figure. :)

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

"Who Watches the Watchers" does indeed look amazing in HD, but I have to admit the story doesn't really work as well for me anymore. I just have a hard time buying now that these Mintakins, after leaving behind their supersitions a millenia ago, and who understand astronomy and have the presence of mind to question their beliefs (which puts them a step above many people today), so easily fall back into their primitive ways-- to the point that they're suddenly acting like cavemen frightened of thunder and lightning again.

Surely by that point they would have accepted there could be other beings in the galaxy, who might be more technologically advanced than them. Or that at the very least, they wouldn't assume that these magical powers they had automatically made them the "Overseers".

In the end, I couldn't help but think it would have been much quicker and easier for Picard to simply go down and tell them "Yes, we are creatures from another world, we were watching you, we're so sorry, goodbye." Instead of everything else they did, which just seemed to inflame the situation and make it worse.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Or simply beam Palmer the fuck up and leave a few villagers with a mystery they'd likely never solve and would move on from after a few days.

I agree, Who Watches the Watchers just doesn't work when you move past Picard's big speech about religion.

19. tomalak301

The first thing i thought watching it was if they had painted Sirtis' face white, she would have made a good Joker's Wife. It just looked so out of place with everything else.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah the funny thing is I thought Troi actually looked far better and sexier in her Mintakin makeup than in any other episode up to this point. Lol