Virtual *TOS* Enterprise for STV:Elite Force - WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Game engines have limits on how large each map file can be. So what I'm doing is making each deck I'm featuring a separate map file. You'll use turbolifts to travel between the map files with short loading screens in between.

I don't plan on modelling the entire ship. That would, of course, take years to complete. And who would want to visit every single cabin of the thousands on board. What I'm doing is featuring key areas, like the ones listed above. They will be connected via corridors and turbolifts.

And as for the quarters of the personnel, I'm featuring a few of the main characters' cabins, and then a few general ones. I'll of course have doors that are inaccessible, there to imply that there's a room or cabin beyond, but in reality nothing will be modeled past the door. It just isn't feasible, or very possible, to feature every single area of the ship. Especially since this is a one-man job at this point ;)

2. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

I know, you said that before. What I was thinking is that you could use the game engine level transitions within the same deck. Have doors on hallways that don't go to unique areas of the ship lead into generic crew quarters. Then you'd only have to design one room (and then copy and flip it to create right and left oriented versions) and the game engine would keep accessing them as needed rather than including them as part of a larger map/level. There would be a slight pause when the door opens as the file for that room is accessed but since you're not designing it as a playable game where action timing is critical, it's an acceptable trade off.

3. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

Just wanted to say I think this is fantastic. I've been wanting a TOS theme since I got Elite Force and got the Argas Effect mod. I'm watching this one with a great deal of interest. Grreat work!

4. LibraryComputer

LibraryComputer Ensign Red Shirt

Fantastic work!

5. Donny

Here is the Main Cargo Bay of the TOS Enteprise, which rests just forward of the main shuttlebay like that of the TMP Enterprise. I, of course, had to use some creativity in designing the bay, since it has never been shown on screen. I wanted it to have a TOS feel to it rather than recreate the design from TMP, so I took a more angular approach with the architcture, and abandoned the idea of using modular cargo containers in favor of a more traditional cargo bay, with dissimilar containers organized into small grated holds.

The observation deck (on the far wall in the first screenshot) is part of the observation deck that surrounds the shuttlebay, so one could look into the cargo bay and shuttlebay easily from the deck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Various containers, designed after cargo containers seen throughout TOS episodes, mainly ones from "Dagger of the Mind":
    [​IMG]

And the cargo transporter, which is accessed by the large blue doors in the far wall from the second screenshots. This area is influenced by the Franz Joseph's Cargo Transporter schematics features in the Starfleet Technical Manual. Note the anti-grav units on the wall to the left:
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned for screenshots of Auxiliary Control, Phaser Control Room, Computer Core, Photorp Launch Center, and more!

6. Donny

And here's a shot of the view of the cargo bay from the observation deck:

[​IMG]

7. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You've done a great job giving this new space a "TOS" feel. Love it!

8. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kewel! :cool: I like the way your cargo bay anticipates the ST: TMP refit yet retains a TOS/TAS aesthetic, great job! :techman:

Just out of curiosity though, do you have any plan views or schematics to get a better feel for the overall scale relative to the shuttlebay/hangAr deck?

9. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Brilliant cargo bay design! The TOS aesthetic is just about perfect! And echoing TIN MAN's comments, it would be interesting to see maybe a side view of the ship to see where this fits.

10. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

This looks so cool! I'll definitely be getting this when you are finished!

11. Donny

Here's a side view.
    [​IMG]

12. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, kewel, it's even bigger than I thought, thanks a bunch!

P.S. Are those angled lifts (and other features) on either side of the bay part of the structural reinforcements for the nacelle pylons by any chance?

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  13. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It does look like that to me too.

14. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is beyond cool. It's like finding lost footage of TOS Enterprise or even better.

15. Donny

They could be, and that would make sense given where I've placed the cargo bay. I did not, however, create it this way on purpose. Funny how it worked out.

By the way, I'm throwing together some ideas for some other never-before-seen areas, now that I've got most of the canon areas out of the way. If anyone has any suggestions for what they may want to see for the rest of this project, I'm all ears.

I also found a good exterior model of the Enterprise for use in the project, so soon I'll be building some areas with windows that look out onto the exterior of the ship. Should be fun.

16. Mojomoe

Mojomoe Commander Red Shirt

Holy crap. I didn't even know this existed, but I NEED this.

Two questions, and I don't mind sounding dumb:

1) when are you releasing this OH MY GOD I NEED IT NOW

and 2) where can I buy (legally! Jeez.) a copy of Elite Force for PC (or a legit direct-to-drive site?)

Sincerely,
    DROOL

17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

There are a boat load of copies available on eBay right now - all pretty reasonably priced, too, if that helps.

18. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I admit I'd love to have these "sets" in .OBJ format so I can import them in one or another render suite, populate them with polygonal figure meshes and create fan art renders. There are some greatt "sets" out there (like Ptrope's bridge, transporter, briefing room and crew quarters), true, but your sickbay and adjoining labs are by far considerably more accurate than other similar sets available for download.

Sorry for coming across all "Gimme; gimme; gimme!"

Sincerely,

Bill

19. Lord_Schtupp

Lord_Schtupp Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Excellent work!

20. Donny

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how possible this is given the differences between the file formats of Quake III map files and .OBJ files.

The majority of the architecture is built with brushes in the map editor, however things like the static meshes (chairs, control surfaces, random object lying around on desks, weapons, NPCs, etc) are .md3 files that can all be converted to .OBJ files.

Either way, I won't be releasing anything to the public until the project is near complete. After that, you'd be free to toy around with the files to use them, if possible, in other 3D programs (with my permission, of course ;))