50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Atticus, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe they'll call this one "The Previous Doctor".

2. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

McGann is saying (by not saying) that there is still a chance he'll be asked. He talks about that being based on whether Ecklestone (yes I know it's spelled wrong) takes the part. Now that he hasn't, maybe 8 can get in there (since it seems there was a script written with 9 in it, it can be changed to 8).

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Or 5!

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if it was nothing but Tennant and Smith having a standard little romp around Cardiff for 90 minutes, then I'd agree. But I'm sure we're also going to see a lot of jumping around in time, interacting with their past, and references to the Classic Series of some kind.

Which to me would still make it pretty special and cool.

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Where did you hear this?

I want to make sure it's factual before I start getting my hopes up.

6. Photoman15

Here:
    http://tennantnews.blogspot.com/2013/04/paul-mcgann-says-he-could-still-be-part.html
    Note that some of what I said above is speculation by inference of what McGann said.

7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

That was nothing more than McGann being a "glass half-full" type, taking that and reading "there's still a chance" from it is a pretty ludicrous leap.

8. Photoman15

Maybe, but the fact that CE did meet with SM, SM had to show him a script or an outline of the story. So a story with a third doctor did exist (Let's face it, we always new #10 would be in the 50th no matter what). Since CE again has disappointed Dr Who fans (notice I said Dr Who fans, not CE fans), the story with 9 included may be able to be changed with minimal effort to include 8. UNLESS the story heavily involved all three of the doctors knowing Rose and Rose knowing 9 & 10.

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I'm a Doctor Who fan, I'm not disappointed.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the idea of McGann but to have 10 11 and ... 8 just seems unlikely. Maybe if they had the other classic actors involved but otherwise I think a lot of viewers might be asking "Doctor Who?".

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Maybe, but I bet just as many people would be confused if it were McCoy or Davison showing up as well.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Of course the get out for not using any of the classic Doctors is that they're effectively Time Locked somehow by virtue of existing prior to the last great Time war (of course one has to ignore Time Crash!)

I still think one of the biggest missed opportunities for inserting an old Doc in NuWho was Love and Monsters. The Doctor Elton saw as a child was cloaked in shadow, half seen, and it would have been so easy to slot any of them in there, even those who look nothing like their classic selves any more)

Unfortunately it was probably a bit too early in the revival to do that.

13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The original plan 'could' have been to have 9 and Rose and not 10 since he just recently left the show. When CE declined the offer, then they changed it to 10 and Rose.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Could be but I doubt it, an anniversary special without super popular super fan DT? Moffat may have been tarred and feathered ;)

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Here is how I would use Tennant. I might have him as the clone Doctor, perhaps on his way to become the Valeyard. He is with Rose after all. Having him as a threat that Smith must overcome might be interesting.

In typical superhero tema us, they start as rivals/enemies first.

Turn it on its head, and have Matt regenerate as the battle concludes.

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sextoy Doctor must never been seen or heard from ever again. It's the Janeway lizard babies of Doctor Who.

17. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The metacrisis (Lord, how I hate that "word") Doctor has one heart, ages and cannot regenerate.

Also, fuck that whole Realdoll story.

18. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    While I would prefer the "real" tenth Doctor, the dramatic potential of the Doctor getting a good look at the life he could have had if he had settled down with Rose-or anyone else- to live a normal human life is pretty enticing.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to seeing how Smith's Doctor handles being around Rose, especially given all he knows about how that's going to pan out (always assuming it is Ten/Rose from S2 and not 10.5 and Rose from Pete's world.)

20. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I personally hope that any 11 / Rose interation is flippant and brief.