What functions do the Storm Trooper armor serve?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by infinix, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

WHUT

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

4. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Don't think it was ever mentioned on screen but some of the books pretty much state the opposite - storm troops are valuable, are well trained and post Endor are in short supply.

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

You're most likely right. I don't reach much Star Wars fiction. As an aside, does this mean that there's a possible Redshirt extinction though? Someone must save those Redshirts! ;)

6. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Why do think they changed the uniform colours? :)

7. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

The EU thing about Stormtroopers being limited I think was based on the assumption that they were an elite force, and that the guys in the big helmets and black shirts were the 'regular' army. However, judging by the prequels, Lucas I think intended them to be the main army of the Republic/Empire.

8. infinix

infinix Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry, but it is very difficult to take the storm troopers seriously after witness how inept they are in RotJ. They were poorly trained, uncoordinated, and absolutely disorganized.

SW.Republic Commando was a great game, but EU is EU.

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the stormtroopers running out in the novels was because the Republic was killing them all and taking planets from the Empire, which was decreasing in size year-on-year, and losing Caridia and other Academy worlds didn't help.

10. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

Oops sry folks. I thought you were talking about Weather channels, storm trooper tank that videos tornadoes. My mistake.

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Owain Taggart

Yeah, not to mention that it takes place in the Clone War era, which means things could have changed since then. It could very well be that the practice of cloning out of perfect soldiers fell out of use, perhaps because it was too expensive so that by the time ANH rolls around, the Empire is using soldiers that aren't as well trained as they should be, but as compensation maybe have larger numbers of them. Which begs the question, what exactly did happen to the clone troopers after the war was over? Is there any point of transition where the Empire starts looking more like the Empire in ANH compared to that of the Clone Wars? Everything looks so different between the two, with a few exceptions.

13. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

But now that I know what your talking about.
    Yeah it seem that where ever you hit them with blasters the get hit and fall down. I don't think the armor serves much use other than for looking apeal.

14. captcalhoun

the novels Order 66 and Imperial Commando: 501st partly deal with a transistion away from Kamino-produced clones and increased numbers of mongrel (IE baseline human) officers in the forces. it's also made clear that combat aside, clones have a limited life-expectancy due to the Kaminoans accelerated aging (something like 20 years in 5 calender years) of them to physical maturity.

so, by the time of ANH, nearly all the clones from the Clone Wars are dead either through combat or through aging. thus, the Imperial Army and Navy are instead reliant on either conscripts or volunteers from the human populace. and since they didn't spend the first five years of their lives being drilled in tactics, combat and live-fire exercises, they aren't as good.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Regarding Imperial Stormtrooper marksmanship: is everyone forgetting Tarkin let the gang escape so he could follow them back to the rebel base? Leia even mentioned that it was "too easy." The Stormtroopers were ordered to shoot everything but the fleeing rebels.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Comic relief.

17. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

How? I am not much a star wars fan, so I might not get the joke.

18. Owain Taggart

Ahh, I see. If that's the case, I think it would be pretty interesting to see a story where a clone tries to reverse his aging process.

19. captcalhoun

that was the main background plot to the Republic Commando series and IC: 501st. the commandos' training sergeant, Kal Skirata (a Mando bounty hunter brought in by Jango to aid in training the clones) tries to find out how to extend clone lifetmes.

unfortunately, the author fell out with the publishers and Lucas Licensing over development of the Mandos in the Clone Wars toon and quit. i believe there were other issues involved as well.

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

In Labyrinth of Evil it didn't seem to help very much.