list of boyfriend rules

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Oh right, the list. Eh, might as well. Of course had to read some creepy stuff earlier and have to distract myself now. This would mainly have to be for girlfriend rules then, seeing as while I am bi, it's with a heavy bias towards women.

1. Is a geek or at least accepts that I am and will always be a huge geek. I can socialize and act "normal", but I will always love Trek and Doctor Who and spaceships and bowties are cool.
    2. Shorter than me by a bit. Which should be fine seeing as I'm 6'3". I'm really sorry ladies of my height or taller, but you irrationally scare me.
    3. More intelligent than me. No, it's not that I hate "dumb" people, it's just that I've found I get exasperated with me being the most intelligent person in a relationship.
    4. Not a prude. I don't mean like walking around in a micro-bikini or talking far and wide about their sex life, but sex is a wonderful thing and should be fine to talk about amongst another.
    5. Adventurous sexually. Just missionary with the lights of will make me get bored quick. I want to explore my sexuality with both my partner and others involved is so inclined.
    6. Good hygiene.
    7. Must at least like dogs, preferably cats as well.
    8. Not conservative or extremely religious. I'm not and it's just not gonna work.
    9. Is fine with me at times doing other stuff (like work at work) and doesn't expect me to answer to every text immediately.
    10. Doesn't want to just sit around all day! I do that too much already and would really need someone more active.
    11. Can discuss things and just doesn't set their mind to one opinion an keep it there indefinitely. If you have a well thought out basis for your opinions, fine. "It just is that way" is not an acceptable answer.

Wow, that sounds a bit bitter almost. Anyway, I'd say those are the requirements. I mean, I prefer other stuff as well like dark hair, artistic, some nice tattoos, at least reads once in a while, green eyes...but the list is more stuff that really matters.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

^ I meet all of those criteria :lol:

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm with you: respect until/unless there's a reason not to.

As well it should! :D

4. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, religion or lack thereof doesn't seem to correlate all that much with whether a person is a dick or not.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

:adore: UR2Kind. ;)

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yeah, but you're already mine!

Oh wait, we probably should have discussed this earlier. I'm fairly certain I bought you for a small bag of magic beans. They're a musical fruit, you know.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

And you're already mine! :klingon:

8. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Time to break out the paddling pool, jello, and betting books.

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

My birthday's next month.

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I suppose I should come with some kind of a comprehensive list of my own. I'm guessing that:

1) Is compatible with me.

is probably a little vague.

Some of us have actually spent the last fifty odd years being nice to people, helping little old ladies across the street, giving to charity, being honest, working in jobs such as health care, being kind to animals, nurturing and supporting friends and strangers, marching, arguing, writing, and otherwise struggling on a daily basis to improve the human condition by whatever incremental steps we can manage, and we do it without the slightest belief in the occult. ;)

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I don't remember this arrangement being discussed! :lol:

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or in humility, it would seem.

13. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Indeed :lol:

15. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: Reading it out of context, I'd be inclined to agree -- lacking in humility.

However, in context, as a response to AnOfficer's comment, it's appropriate. Religious people do not have a monopoly on goodness, nor is every "practicing believer in God" the paragon of virtue that AnOfficer assumes.

16. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a difficult topic as it's so emotionally charged.

Still, in spite of being a convinced atheist myself I find myself agreeing to AnOfficer. I think his statement boils down to the fact that genuinely religious people have a very strong moral codex they stick to. (please do correct me, if I misinterpreted you, AnOfficer)

If we take a closer look at the 10 commandments we'll find that most of them are basic human rights and we'll meet them again in the constitutions of many countries or in law books.
    Compared to an un-religious person, a very religious one might very likely have a stronger feeling of duty when it comes to stick to these rules as they feel directly responsible to a person (god) while we others feel responsible to an abstract concept (the law).

Neither group has a monopoly on goodness or rightfulness but for the religious ones it's for the reasons listed above perhaps slightly easier to put the ethical theories into practize. (Always refering to the genuinely religious people, as I believe AnOfficer meant, not those who consider religion as a custom or a habit)

17. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Uh, most of them are human rights?
    2 of them might be considered as protecting human rights (don't murder, don't steal).
    Another one could be a law today (false witness).

2 or 3 more sound like decent moral advice.

So yeah, around 50-60% of the ten commandments are alright! Not a great quota. I'd have a look at the Universal Declaration of Human Rights for guidance instead. I'm pretty sure it doesn't tell you to only believe in ONE god, rest on Sunday, not make an image of god or not take his/her name in vain.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  18. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

well, honouring your parents (or older people in general) is part of our constitution and laws insofar as we are to take care of them.
    Adultery is legal nowadays but until not so long ago (some time in the 80s iirc) it was illegal and a reason for a divorce.
    stealing/killing is forbidden in pretty much every country nowadays.
    bearing false witness against anyone is a crime in my country. Dunno about others
    And trying to get hold of someone's house, wife or other property is usually illegal as well (unless you marry the widow)
    That sabbath rule is actually a law over here. Shops and offices are closed, crafts and trades are forbidden on Sundays, anything that makes noise must not be done. Some shop chains were trying to get it abolished but they had no chance: the people love the peace and quiet on Sundays.

That makes it 70% in Bavaria. Your country appears to be more heathen than ours ;) :D

19. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Still not a human right if you ask me. I also did a quick check of the first 19 articles of the Grundgesetz. I don't see that there (it was a very quick check, though).
    I have no idea what your weird Bavarian Landesverfassung might say. :p

And that was changed because it wasn't right. What's your point?
    I'm not trying to defend aldutery here but it obviously shouldn't be illegal so I fail to see how your original statement (that the ten commandments are full of human rights) holds true here.

And you consider that a fundamental human right because?
    We were talking about human rights here, not random traditions that were made law for religious reasons (and also to protect workers from having to work 7 days a week. It was part of Bismarck's "Sozialgesetzgebung" iirc.)

20. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Sorry to drop in on your argument, which I didn't follow, nor even really care about (clearly even the most superficial glance should tell any reasonable person that the "10 commandments are fundamentally deficient as a conclusive list of rights), but I feel very strongly about making/keeping sundays and holidays work-free for most people, because it's important to keep work and life seperate.

Your "need" to buy chips and shampoo on sunday afternoon after you had all week to do your shopping doesn't override the salesperson's right to spend some time with their family; or just to do fuck all one day a week.

I think it's extremely selfish and exploitative of the retail lobby to keep trying to undermine the work-free sunday, and that has nothing to do with religion to me.
    [disclaimer: I'm not free of guilt in that regard too, although at least, I feel bad when I buy beer or whatever after work, knowing I'm contributing to keeping the poor cashiers at work when they should really already be going home too]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.