SUPERMAN

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Would people(meaning you) be ok with the next Superman movie just being called...SUPERMAN?

From what I am hearing it will be a reboot...why not do the STAR TREK 2009 thing and just call it SUPERMAN.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I would have no problem with that at all.

4. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

For some reason Batman Begins didn't sit well with me...it was a reboot and not a prequel...right???

[edit] That film should have been just been called "BATMAN".

5. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

i get so confused these days on what's a reboot, what's a prequel, what's a sequel, etc.... they should make these things much more clear

6. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I say go for it.

If in a couple of years I tell someone I'm going to see Superman tomorrow night and they say "But that came out 30 years ago!" I'll punch them in the neck.

It also beats any of those stupid title that start with RE- and always sound so melodramatic, like Rebirth, Resurrection or Redemption. Those sound like something for CineMax at 3AM.

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they must insist on a sub-title let it be Man of Steel

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman would be just fine as the title. In fact it would be the first Superman feature film ever to use the title (and the first big screen Superman adventure since the 1948 film serial to use it).

9. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Actually just "Man Of Steel" would be better than Superman Man Of Steel or Unleased...dumb stuff like that.

I actually preferred The Dark Night over Batman Begins as a title.

10. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Then let's save Man of Steel for the sequel just like Batman did!

11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Just calling it SUPERMAN is too complicated. How about something simple, like:

SUPERMAN THE LAST SON OF KRYPTON THE MAN OF STEEL KAL-EL CLARK KENT?

Covers everything that way.

12. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Superman" (1978) is an official title, at least according to IMDb. It's also what was displayed in the opening credits.

"Superman--The Movie" was only for advertising purposes.

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It's branded as Superman - The Movie in all of its home entertainment releases. That title has solidified as its official title, even if it was only initially meant to be used for advertising purposes. You're right, though, that the opening credits just say Superman.

14. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't care what it's called if it's a good movie.

15. Electric Coleslaw

Electric Coleslaw Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know. Star Trek worked because there was no movie of that name before without the sub-titles. I'd imagine that since Superman-The Movie is still a bit entrenched in everyone's minds that they'd have to add a sub-title to a new flick.

I just hope they don't waste time with an origin story. If you don't know that Supes came from Krypton, becomes Clark Kent etc. then you should go see the new Sandra Bullock movie instead.

16. The Comedian

The Comedian Captain Captain

Let's see...

"Batman Begins"....so...

"Superman Starts"

which will lead inevitably to...

"Wonder Woman Comes.":adore:

17. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really really hope we don't get an origin retread. I mean what is it with these reboots retelling the origin. Batman Begins was okay because even the Burton/Shumacher Batman films didn't really get into it too terribly much, at least Batman's early days. So that was okay. Superman doesn't really need an origin to show how he went from baby to Superman. I mean if they really want to restart the mythology, they could always restart it from shortly before he puts the suit on and follows it from the time he comes on the scene. Basically put to film the classic Man of Steel #2 where Superman is named thus by Lois Lane but I'd like to keep the thing where Lois is scooped by Clark. And then maybe follow it forward with like Metallo or Lex - even though I'm sick of Lex in the movies, but I wouldn't even really mind seeing like a "City Under Seige" kind of thing where you could have a bunch of his rogues gallery show up and then reveal that Lex set it in motion, but Superman can't prove it and it ends with a bit of a cliff hanger at the end.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

You had 1966's Batman and 1989's Batman. You had Star Trek: The Motion Picure (1979) and Star Trek (2009). So why not Superman: The Movie (1978) and Superman (20--)? I think it would be a sensible way of putting clear blue water (or should that be Big Blue Water?) between this movie and its predecessors - make it clear it's not a sequel or prequel.

19. Delta1

Delta1 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And the sequel can be THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF TOMORROW FROM ACTION COMICS PAL OF JIMMY OLSEN.

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

If "SUPERMAN" isn't used...

[edit] My idea of a Superman trilogy.

LAST SON
    MAN OF STEEL
    DOOMSDAY

For each one of these you wouldn't even have to say "Superman..." just throw up the \S/hield behind the title...boom, there's your Superman movie poster.