Picard Quote

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Captain McBain, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

In Encounter at Farpoint, when Q is first appearing to the crew in various outfits, Picard states that the military uniform Q shows up in is a 'costume.'

I don't understand Picard's reasoning for this. Surely he has some respect for ancient civilizations. To just put down a military uniform like that seems very disrespectful and totally out of character for Picard.

2. sadsquid

sadsquid Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think it was because Q was the one wearing it. Q did nothing to earn that uniform, had absolutely nothing to do with it, so he's just wearing it like a 'costume'.

3. Captain McBain

No, Picard stated that it was the humans who were wearing 'costumes.'

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well Roddenberryesque Trek did have the 24th century humans all but glowing in moral superiority and poorly veiled condescension.

5. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Well, it all depends.

If that particular military force was nothing but the personal police of a brutal dictator who used it only to protect his own power, I'd feel it was justified calling it a costume. Considering that members of this military had no problems executing their own and were controlled with drugs, I doubt it was a well disciplined force meant to protect a civilian populace.

6. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't recall exactly which uniform Q was wearing when Picard said that, but I think it was the US or French uniform - not quite appropriate to call it a "costume", unlike the fictional 21st century soldier. Also an odd choice since Roddenberry had a military background. Was he ashamed of his wartime experience? Anytime the notion of military popped up in Trek, he got angry (Star Trek VI, in particular). Yet Starfleet mirrors the US Navy, but Roddenberry always said it was a peaceful organization. Eh, too much to wrap my head around. I prefer post-Roddenberry Trek anyway (ST 2-6, post S2 TNG, DS9). It dispenses with the "Mary Sue" humanity.

7. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

It was also the pilot and god knows there's lots of things we can give a "pass" to from that ep.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Probably just sloppy writing. So folks think costume and uniform are the same thing.

9. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

yeah, I think this is pretty much the explanation for this scene. It's early TNG, and Picard is showing what a "superior 24th century Human" he is.

10. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Looked like a WWII general's uniform to me. I agree it seems odd, as Picard is the history/anthropology buff.

that said, I think the pilot's theme (but not plot) was pretentious. Why would some omnipotent choose humans to be their rivals and successors? I think this reeked of the Great Bird.

11. Nerys Myk

It kind of flies in the face of the ideals behind the Federation and gives credence to the "Homo Sapiens Only Club" concept.

12. Captain McBain

In "The Royale," Picard and company seem to show respect for NASA and the dead officer which the away team came upon.

13. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, because the uniforms showed off all the colorfull decorations for the person inside it. Starfleet uniforms dont do that anymore: They are plain, only show the rank and the function, but no decorations; they dont serve the ego of the officer, their purpose is not to impress.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Well, the Q only put humanity and not the Federation on trial. Nice that we were worthy of their attention.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, the astronaut was an explorer. From the 24c perspective military men were people, as Q nicely put it, "squabbled over the resources of your world or over tribal god-images." In a peaceful time where humans aren't so violent, yeah, they may not look too kindly on military men who fought in wars.

16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think at the time Roddenberry had the attitude that 20th century conflict was self interested and nationalist.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's not? Aside from the World Wars has any military conflict not been self-interested, nationalist or just being pretty much pointless?

18. Nerys Myk

At that stage of the game how do you separate one from the other?

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to Memory Alpha, it is in fact a 1980s USMC uniform with Captain's rank insignia.

20. Captain McBain

According to thesaurus.com, 'costume' and 'uniform' are synonyms. I didn't know this. I also think that this is the most reasonable explanation. Picard, even first-season Jean-Luc, doesn't seem like the type to belittle other countries or civilizations.