whatever happened to these characters?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Jarvisimo, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Hey all, a peerie request, but I was wondering if there has been any mention of these characters chronologically more recent than their memory beta entries? After seeing a great bitpart character like Captain Bateson so much recently (in DTI & Cold Equations), I was wondering about other (large and small) characters who seem to have become one of the billions of souls who make up the Federation or its neighbours.

Some just off the top of my head are:

- Admiral Leyton - he would be out of prison now, wouldn't he?
    - Admiral Ross - man was awesome
    - Captain Benteen from Homeland/Paradise Lost.

Does anyone else have any other small or large characters MIA? Although this is not intended to suggest a wishlist of who should be included in future treklit: that would be rather suggestive of small universe syndrome. Just wondering if people have either more (published) details.

2. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Why would we hear from ross again after the events of Articles of the Federation?

3. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Liked what we saw of the character Capt. Benteen, and would like to see her re-surface in the Trekiverse. I always imagined that she had a really good lawyer and got off with a demotion in rank or somesuch. I mena she only acted in good faith on misleading information provided to her by Adm. Leyton, so...

4. RPJOB

RPJOB Commander Red Shirt

Why wouldn't we? It's not like he was locked away inside an asteroid. He was forced to resign from Starfleet but it's not like they made a big deal about it, not wanting to draw attention to the reasons why. As long as he doesn't open his mouth about his part in the death of the president and the cover-up by everyone else, including the current president, he's probably just as free as anyone else. What are they going to do, kill him too? The man's a war hero after all.

5. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

And it is not like there are no civilians and civilian careers in the Trek verse?

6. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Given that an ex-President can disappear and no one notices, who would think of Ross?

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been watching both Sherlock and Elementary lately, and the got me wondering, has anything been done with Moriarty since they stuck him in his little cube thing?
    What about Tom Riker, post Dominion War? I haven't read the book, but I know he was in Imzadi II, although I believe that was either before or during the Dominion War.

8. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Zek and Ishka haven't been seen for a while either.

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that..
    Fallen Gods said he died in a prison camp???

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Why does your spoiler box say "Destiny spoilers" when you reference something from Fallen Gods, a Titan novel?

11. JoeZhang

Beats the fuck out of me.

12. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ummm... okay... :vulcan:

Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing what became of Benteen as well. Also, have we heard from Brunt lately? I know he might not be the most in demand, but I'd like to see him attempting to vex Rom and Leeta a bit.

Wait, was he in "Reservoir Ferengi"? I need to read Seven Deadly Sins again...

13. JoeZhang

Isn't it obvious that the answer is 'I got it wrong' - do people really need something so obvious discussing in any detail?

14. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed, Brunt was the starring character in "Reservoir Ferengi", which left him as a freelance debt collector and the star of the TV show Brunt the Bounty Hunter. But like you, I'd like to know how that worked out for him.

15. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I don't think anything's been mentioned (maybe the cube was destroyed in Generations) about Moriarty.

But, according to Memory Beta, "Fallen Gods" says that many believe that Thomas Riker died in the prison camp, but nothing had been confirmed.

Of course Thomas Riker did show up in the Millennium Trilogy in command of the USS Opaka.

But for the op, they might want to check out Diane Carey's 1996? novel Ship Of The Line, since Captain Bateson was the first captain of the new Enterprise-E.

16. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, I don't think anyone needs that, nor did I see anyone saying so. I was just a little surprised about the seemingly-angry response to Christopher's question, that's all! No biggie. :)

Moriarty would indeed be an interesting followup. I'd love to see his reaction to his "incarceration."

17. RPJOB

Bacco doesn't have the events of Destiny to cover her tracks this time. It's easy to say that Min Zife was a casualty of the Birg, seeing as entire planetary populations were destroyed without a trace.

And one (!) person did ask questions about Zife's disappearance. He just decided that a lie was more valuable than the truth.

"You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: 'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie, as wisdom...and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--"

Picard - The Drumhead

18. JoeZhang

Surely the better quote for that situation is:

I guess Picard doesn't deserve to wear that Uniform either!

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a shame. I was thinking all of the stuff with The Doctor and holographic rites would have been the perfect way to bring him back up somehow.

20. RPJOB

Picard, Ross, Nechayev, Paris, Jellico, Nakamura. None of them do. If they did what they felt they had to do then they all should have resigned afterwards. Picards speeches ring pretty hollow now.