Spoilers: Is This [Spoiler]'s Original Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Shilliam Watner, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

From the newly release teaser trailer as Kirk takes a space walk from his Enterprise, you can clearly see another ship and it looks like a Constitution Class. I am betting this is Captain April's U.S.S. Enterprise. Check it out.

First Image:
    http://i.imgur.com/CO2N2XM.jpg

Second Image:
    http://i.imgur.com/0agsiNh.jpg

2. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The shape is wrong for it to be a pre-timeline change Connie. It looks like the Alt-Enterprise, just look at the shape of the nacelles. So, I'm banking on the alternative explanation: Kirk is doing his orbital skydive thing to get back into the ship from another vessel (shuttecraft?). Or else it's simply another Alt-Constitution Class ship. I mean, it isn't like the USS Enterprise was the only one we ever saw in TOS, the Starfleet consisted mostly of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2013
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why would there be two Enterprises at once? If we accept the Countdown to Darkness comic's version of the backstory (remember, the comics aren't canonical) and its assertion that there was an earlier Enterprise commanded by April, it would stand to reason that that ship was lost or decommissioned before Pike's Enterprise was built. So if this ship is contemporary with NCC-1701, it would surely have a different name.

Besides, do we actually know that Kirk is beginning his spacewalk from the Enterprise, instead of some other ship?

4. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I may be a bit behind on the spoilers, but I hadn't heard of there being any time travel or parallel universe subplot.

Within this continuity the Enterprise as we saw it was the original, and Pike was it's first captain.

5. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm banking it's a shuttlecraft he's jumped from.

6. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

I'd agree with you that she wouldnt be a contemporary of the current NCC-1701. Though I'm pretty sure that THAT is the ship crashing into the bay and not Kirks Enterprise. The nacelle and pylon shape on this ship are completely different to that of Kirks ship.

7. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

April's Enterpise was decommissioned years before the events of STID, according to Countdown.
    So I don't see why it would be that ship.

8. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Would that mean she was already broken down? Or maybe she was placed in mothballs?

9. Tom Servo

Does anyone remember the interview with Peter Weller that stated that his character had his own ship? I mean we really don't know anything about that character besides that he's Adm. Marcus, but I'm wondering if that's it, and that he is involved with Harrison in some way. We do see Harrison sitting in what looks to be a command chair on a Starfleet bridge that is NOT the Enterprise in one of the previous trailers.

10. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It could be the one that crashes into the Thames.

11. SalvorHardin

Marcus was also April's first officer and maybe captain of the E when April "died".
    But would an Admiral have an old decommissioned ship as his to use?

It's a big starship that would require a lot of crew to run. I doubt it would be considered decommissioned if they had to assign all that crew to keep running it.

12. Tom Servo

Im not saying its the old Enterprise, just saying he has his own Starfleet flagship. It is strange however, that they chose a design that has such a similar shape to the other Enterprise, but they're obviously different ships.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Countdown to Darkness, a comic book prequel to the movie establishes there was a previous Enterprise which was commanded by Robert April.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

It looks closer to a STTMP era enterprise but it's not.

15. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

It might if it's a black-ops vessel - Section 31 or whatever the Abramsverse analog of it is. The comic's revealed the existence of just such a secret society within Starfleet that tried to recruit Sulu right out of the Academy, immediately before he joined the Enterprise.

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Except in Countdown to Darkness they show a previous Enterprise that looks kind of like the JJprise

17. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I thought I read somewhere that Roberto Orci said that 'their' comics are canonical since they're overseeing them.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would be the infamous Trekmovie interview where Orci was basically manipulated into calling the comics canon and which he has since backtracked on.

19. SalvorHardin

January 2013, interview about Countdown to Darkness

20. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In "All Good Things," it was established that an Admiral could pick whatever vessel he/she wanted as a flagship: Riker chose the supped-up 1701-D for nostalgic reasons. I suppose it could have been the case that Adm. Marcus had sentimental attachment, or maybe Starfleet said "Hey, Adm. Marcus: we're just going to throw this Enterprise out. You want it?"