"Haven" (new SyFy series starring Emily Rose) - Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

This show is based on Stephen King's novella, "The Colorado Kid," and centers on a small town in Maine called Haven where cursed people try to live normal lives in exile. As their curses start coming back, FBI Agent Audrey Parker is sent in to try and control the forces and try to unravel the mysteries of the town.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU0tNeu6zXY[/yt]

FBI agent Audrey Parker travels to the town of Haven to investigate the death of a local ex-con. She soon discovers the man's death is merely the tip of a very large iceberg of supernatural phenomena.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: "Haven" (new SyFy series starring Emily Rose) - Discussion & Spoil

Oops, I posted at the same time as you. I didn't know anybody else cared! :rommie:

3. Aragorn

I don't think anyone will be watching (besides BigFoot), which is why I created a season thread instead of an episode thread.

So if you want to make threads for this show, it's all yours. I probably will stop watching after the pilot anyway. :p

4. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

I'll definitely watch tonight and we'll see about the future... not going in with any preconceptions at all so should eb able to judge pretty unbiasedly.

5. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This might be the something different I'm looking for. We'll see, but I'll probably miss it as I forgot to set my DVR and I'm out tonight.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Oh what? I thought this about the town that was sealed in the dome from the Simpsons Movie. Hell, I just saw that book prominently displayed at Target even though it came out a year or so ago. This doesn't sound as interesting.

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to impressed Emily Rose looks good though, and good to see Nicole de Boer again.

8. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Yes, must say Emily Rose is very beautiful, and Nicole is looking cute as ever! That women just keeps getting more beautiful.

Well, it was ok, some mystery, not as good as Eureka though. I guess I'll keep watching maybe, since it comes on right after Eureka, but don't hold your breath.

9. Aragorn

A bit underwhelming for a pilot. I guess it's like a stationary X-Files or Fringe (which would make it Twin Peaks), only with a SyFy budget. Also a bit of "Smallville shortcut" writing where they don't know how to get from A to C so they just ignore B all together.

Don't know if it'll keep me interested enough to watch it for the duration, but it's only 13 episodes.

Too bad this wasn't on a premium cable network, otherwise the scene where Emily Rose had no pants might've looked differently. :p

10. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Ouch.

11. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Well, the pilot was decent. I didn't love it or anything like that, but for now I'll keep watching. It might have been a different story of Emily Rose wasn't the lead though. I'd probably bail on the show after the pilot in that case.

12. tau136

tau136 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not a King fan but might take a gander at this — sounds intriguing.

13. Aragorn

And without pants. :p

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I taped it, since it was on right after Eureka, and I was curious. It was pretty good. I like the cast; Emily Rose was probably the weakest of the leads, but she was pretty good. I like the New England setting (even if it's filmed in Canada, it still looks right). Kind of strange, though, that the pilot itself gives little indication of where the series is going, aside from the mystery photo (which can't be the entire premise). It seems more like Emily is going to be a Kolchak-type character, running into all kinds of occult stuff-- which is cool, but a small coastal city is an odd setting for that.

15. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

It was pretty decent. Nothing great but not horrible either. I'll keep watching.

Also, had no idea that was Nicole de Boer. She looked fantastic. I knew i knew her but couldn't place her. I think she looked prettier here than she did on DS9.

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Praise be - someone finally answered my prayers for a low-budget, mildly serialized cop/FBI show with vaguely supernatural phenomena, which can conveniently be solved by standard detective work!

Twin Peaks
    X-Files
    Baywatch Nights
    Tru Calling
    Moonlight
    Ghost Whisperer
    Medium
    Pushing Daisies
    Eureka
    The Dresden Files
    Warehouse 13
    Fringe
    Past Life

... Haven!

:rolleyes:

17. Temis the Vorta

Bleh - I'll give it another shot next week but I doubt this one is gonna grab my interest.

Kudos to Emily Rose for believably portraying an FBI agent, but wow what a collection of poor actors they've hired for this show! Eric Balfour is weird-looking and smarmy but at least he seems to be putting in an effort, which is more than I can say for the plank of wood they got to play Deputy Wuornos.

That guy may be the worst actor I have ever seen in a major role in a supposedly professionally produced TV series. I hope they aren't positioning him to be the "love interest" because that just isn't going to work. The risk of splinters is a real turnoff. :p The dialogue isn't exactly sparkling, but the deputy's comatose delivery certainly didn't help matters.

This series needs a major dose of Stephen King-type horror, or any dose for that matter. This week's story was downright boring and thrill-free. If they're settling for a prosaic, formulaic freak-of-the-week formula week in and out, I'm definitely out. At the very least, make the freaks freaky! Shoot for the Flukeworm Guy from The X-Files. Any less than that, why bother?

Haven reminds me strongly of The Gates - an attempt to create a "scary small town" that fails because nobody behind it seems to know what the heck "scary" means. The result is far too tame. This show doesn't just need Stephen King, it could use some H.P Lovecraft. It should have a little whiff of what made The Mist so horrifying - and by relying more strongly on the fear of what you don't see, they could make it work on a TV budget. And let the critters eat Deputy Dull while they're at it.

18. Temis the Vorta

Sure. Are people posting in my thread? I came here first. :rommie:

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

That seemed like your typical Syfy pablum right there. Maybe it will get better but I'm not very intrigued to find out.

As for Emily Rose, I'm glad the exorcism took. :)

20. Temis the Vorta

Yeah Syfy seems to be aiming to be the sci fi answer to the USA Network - cute, quirky, harmless, formulaic shows that are easy to watch and easier to forget. Doesn't come off as well in the sf/f context, where blandness is usually not considered a virtue. Also, that leaves us with no channel that is the sci fi answer to anything I'd want to watch.

Oh and I forgot to rant about THE MUSIC! I rarely notice music in a show unless it's very good (Lost) or distractingly bad (Haven). The music amped the smarm factor about a thousand percent - hardly necessary, the script was smarmy enough on its own. Someone really needs to invent a zapper that will mute the music and not the dialogue - and that goes triple for those nauseating musical interludes with pop songs that the corporate parent of the TV network is trying to foist on us. :rolleyes: