TOS's largest one time prop.

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by T'Girl, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Paradise City was a set because it was a whole environment in which the action took place. That is the definition of the word "set." It's the entire "stage," not just a piece of the stage. The obelisk was not an environment, it was one object within an environment. The "set" was the entire lakeside. The obelisk was a set piece.

2. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except of course that there's no such exit door on the aft compartment set!

As for the 7' medical bed, perhaps it is flexible and is stored vertically inside the wall?

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is that fold-out ladder at the corner opposite the entry alcove, supposedly allowing for exit once the aft ramp folds down. It's difficult to spot, but visible in at least two episodes. This was thought out...

One might speculate that the aft compartment, not seen until some way into the history of the DF, is a separate cubical container that can be shoved into the aft hold through the hatch, hence the awkward, non-optimal shape.

It's one of those CT or MRI tube things if I recall correctly - essentially, it wouldn't go vertical but rather would telescope when sliding into the wall.

The small lifeboats would rather easily fit in the space between the curved outer walls and the cubical interior. The question about them is twofold: how does one access them from the inside, and how do they eject? The exterior has four obvious ejection tube hatches, two per side - but in "Drive", those become impulse booster engines! (Perhaps Paris and Torres actually installed engines in place of lifepods?)

Timo Saloniemi

4. Mytran

I must admit I'd never noticed this before. Do you know which episodes this view appears in?

This would explain the frankly weird nature of the aft compartment!

Except that a character (I forget who) hides inside the medical bed during one episode. A telescopic bed would lead to a telescoping person, eek! :devil:

5. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

^7 of 9's body was kept in cold storage in there during that flash-forward time travel episode where V'ger crashed on an ice planet. The bed slid in and out like a drawer with a 6-foot tall woman in it.

6. Timo

A few graphical cues...

http://www.starshipdatalink.net/art/images/ddf-5.gif

This is the concept for the aft hatch. One could not walk in along that ramp - one would descend from the aft compartment on a ladder coming down from the very aft part of the ramp. The ramp would be there supposedly for inserting and extracting outsize cargo, and the aft compartment would be such a piece of cargo, with its own, clumsy means of ingress and egress.

Compare to the floorplan: the hinge of the aft hatch would be level with the forward hinges of those four side things that may have launched the lifepods but were booster engines in "Drive". This makes it difficult for the aft compartment to have a level floor - but also note that the DF must be somewhat bigger than in that conceptual view, considering the forward compartment set already. That is, more like 21-22 meters rather than 15 in length.

Entering the lifepods might be done from the in-between alcove somehow, with crawlways opening to port and starboard.

Yup.

http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/5x06/timeless_137.jpg

Perhaps it's "Counterpoint" all over again? Perhaps the device is transporter-based and scans or treats its patient by reducing her to a phased matter stream first, starting with the legs as the patient is inserted?

Entering the lifepods might also be a transporter-based operation...

Still looking for the images showing a glimpse of the ladderway. That wall tended to be the wild one in many shoots; it's the simplest one, too, a rather featureless flat panel save for this little nook to port.

Timo Saloniemi

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Timo, your example images are either not found or access forbidden.

8. Mytran

Right click, copy & paste the hyperlink directly into the address bar.

9. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

That works for the first link, but not the second.

10. Timo

For some reason, certain TrekCore links can be copy-pasted but others can't - I think VOY and ENT have some extra level of complication compared to the others. It's difficult to spot when doing the post because the image in the link will of course be in my buffer and the link will open easily enough for me. I think adding a question mark at the end will allow the cut-and-pasted address to work...

Timo Saloniemi

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

12. Timo

Where the boarding party beamed in and where the fight took place must be two completely different locations - the Remans would not stand still. We can see that both sides in the conflict proceed on foot, so a meeting at the halfway point is rather likely.

Furthermore, the fight continues after the two sides meet; it takes a long time for the action to move to the bottomless shaft. All that time, the Viceroy would be heading up; Riker would be desperately trying to catch up with him, but the Reman would have no motivation to loiter and deal with the Commander when his logical course of action would be to leave Riker far behind (that is, below).

Timo Saloniemi

13. davwir

davwir Cadet Newbie

Does anyone know the exact locations where the Obelisk and Indian Village were filmed?
    I actually live pretty close to Franklin Canyon Reservoir, and MUST go check out the site! (I have been to Vasquez Rocks many times, totally awesome!)

14. Mytran

15. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek's largest one-time prop...

[​IMG]

16. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And worst made. :eek:

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'd actually file that under "largest one time tool". :techman:

18. TOSalltheway

TOSalltheway Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Said it before and will say it again, TOS looks best filmed outdoors in natural light. Imagine how great Who Mourns For Adonais would have looked outdoors with a real garden.

19. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

It all depends on the kind of story being told. "Spectre of the Gun" benefited from using stylized, surreal, minimalist sets. It wouldn't have worked if they'd shot it in a stock backlot frontier town.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Also, Earth's "natural light" is only natural for a planet 1 astronomical unit from a main-sequence G2 star. Extrasolar planets really should have different lighting. As a matter of fact, the temperature and spectrum of an M-type red dwarf isn't that far off from that of an incandescent light bulb, so some planets' outdoor light might look more like indoor light.

I thought they did a great job in "Metamorphosis" making the soundstage look like an exterior -- not perfect, but a very nice illusion, even including stage smoke to create "clouds" in the sky.