TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

Riker is my favorite by far. I've tried many times to grow that kind of beard but it comes in patchy.

2. StarLore

StarLore Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've started watching TNG relatively recently, and I love it. My favorite character is definitely Data. I really like watching him grow and change. Another thing I like about Data is that he puts humanity in perspective when he attempts to understand it.

I also don't mind Wesley Crusher. I have never found him to be too annoying.

I also like Worf and how Klingons are portrayed in TNG. The episode "A Matter of Honor" is pretty cool to me in that it displays Klingon culture in a presentable way, rather than simply barbaric.

I am on season 4 at the moment, and really enjoying it.

RAMA likes this.
  3. 50051h

50051h Ensign Newbie

The name is Steven, I'm an aspiring Chef living in Los Angeles. Love TNG and watched every episode probably two or three times. I'm 25 so maybe I'm a little out of my element age-wise since I don't see too many other trekkies my age but oh well. DS9 is good (after S2 IMO) and VOY could have been wrapped up a lot sooner.

RAMA likes this.
  4. squidward

squidward Ensign Red Shirt

Yup. Got my own synthehol on 10 forward (but Guinan's got me hooked up)! TNG yes!

5. mellis1701

mellis1701 Ensign Newbie

I started when S4 was first broadcast in the UK, and loved it from the get-go. I'm not sure why I resisted tuning in before this, but a friend convinced me to watch.

I feel its the best of the Trek shows, not necessarily because of the stories (though there are some excellent hours of television in the 7 year run), but for me, at that time in my life, it felt like the Ent-D was somewhere I could belong, somewhere I wanted to be, and I liked spending time with a group of people who were friends, professionals, and excellent at what they did.

My head tells my that DS9 is the "better" show, but my heart will always belong to TNG.

Sebastian STR likes this.
  6. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Ensign Newbie

Hello everyone! I started out as a TNG fan back when it was airing on TV, from elementary school until high school. I spent my teens obsessing over it.

I was always a science geek (studied astronomy in university), so my favourite character was and still is Data. However, I found myself a fan of Patrick Stewart as Picard. I was never really a fan of Troi, though. I've met Marina Sirtis and Michael Dorn (as well as James Doohan, who did appear in an episode). My goal now is to actually speak to Wil Wheaton, since he's a big geek and from the same generation as me. I'm a bit younger than him. I'm 39.

I lived in Japan for 11 years until earlier this year, so I'm getting back into Star Trek. Japan is rather devoid of Trek.

7. GeordiFan

GeordiFan Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hello everyone, Ive been a Star Trek fan all my life. Ive been watching TNG since I can remember, and from there I branched out into the other series. My favorite character is Geord Laforge, with Data being a close second....but I also love Tasha Yar, Dr. Crusher, and Captain Picard....and like most people, I don't really like Wesley or Dr. Pulaski lol. Starship Mine is my favorite episode, ever since I first saw it, though it wasnt the first episode I saw, but its the first one that stands out in my mind...I think its probably the most underrated episode in TNG.

8. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I'd been a fan of TOS growing up, so when TNG started it's first airing on the Beeb, I tuned in. Unfortunately I lost interest several weeks in. I came back mid-season 3 and started to enjoy it again. (I have since seen all the episodes as I have it on dvd). I think I came back in around Tin Man?

9. OldManDoom

OldManDoom Lieutenant Red Shirt

AAAANNNNNNYYYYYYYBOOOOOODDDYYYYYYYY

One of my favorite parts from TNG because it was so poorly done.

10. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

Jean-Luc is my surrogate Dad. I say that in all seriousness. He taught me tolerance, the importance of education and personal integrity. I had a family but they skipped those topics

The Katatonic and Sebastian STR like this.
  11. JLP_1984

JLP_1984 Ensign Red Shirt

I'm an 32 year old chartered accountant and still remember watching Farpoint the first time it was shown on BBC2 all those years ago. TNG always is the benchmark for me!

12. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Weird, I just noticed it didn't have the little avatar next to the OP (Gold Grizzly)'s avatar showing that I had posted ten years ago. It should have it now.

:shrug:

13. Kevin Wolff

October 10th, 1987 (WPIX NY affiliate). That day changed my life (Only a slight exaggeration). I remember at some point in the previous weeks or months People magazine did a feature on the new Trek show. I had heard nothing up to that point (way before internet, didn't attend conventions, and I didn't have a Starlog subscription). I liked TOS but Space:1999 was on at a key young age and the production values made Trek look dated and Kirk was reckless compared to John Koenig. Then along comes Jean-Luc and everything changed. Never missed an episode which was hard in the first 2 seasons because I could not yet afford a VCR and I was at the age when you go out on Saturday night (season 1 was on Sunday at 8pm, but then it stayed on Sat at 7pm till the 6th season when it moved to a Thursday TNG/DS9 back to back. Non-Trek friends were less than thrilled waiting on me to watch the new episode each week in those early season. In season 3 I got a vcr and from that point till the end it was recorded weekly. I later filled out the first 2 seasons with that terrible mail order VHS run that came out around the beginning of S4. I still remember calling after midnight to order. You got 1 or 2 tapes per month (2 eps per tape) at $19.95USD per tape.
    What I liked specifically at the time besides the high production values, was more realistic characters. There were no "big 3" going down to the planet each week. Picard used diplomacy and didn't violate the prime directive (much). I remember being worried about cancelation a lot the first 2 years. 1 million+ per production episode, and running in syndication seemed doomed to fail. Season 3 ramped up the story quality and I started to read it was doing well in the ratings so I could relax. I still remember TV guide's full page ad for Best of Both Worlds Part 2. The headline read "Save Earth from Picard!" and it had a grayscale photo of Picard as Locutus. I was in Trek heaven.

Sebastian STR and RAMA like this.
  14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Welcome to all the newbies. The 29th anniversary is a good time to pop in.

I watched 3 STNG episodes last night..from season 2 , which is actually my least favorite season, however, they remind me of events that were happening in my life at that time.

Time Squared. I don't know why I like this one so much. My brain tells me it would have worked better as a Q tie-in but where some ST episodes tend to have good ideas and execute them poorly, this episode had an ok idea and executed it really well!

Loud as a Whisper. One of the oddest teasers in ST history. The teaser ends with a very well appointed empty room..cut to credits. There's an air of mystery for a peace negotiator! My thought process was...he negotiated the Klingon peace deal but he's really a double agent? Why all the ominous music and big reveal? Despite this, kudos to STNG for making rock stars out of peace negotiators.

Unnatural Selection. Pulaski's best episode. I still disagree with ST's general stance that genetic tinkering is a bad idea, but the story was a good one.

15. Andrews

Andrews Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I've recently made the jump and started watching TNG. It's weird, my fist Trek experience is First Contact and as a kid I loved Nemesis (I've been a Tom Hardy fan since I watched that movie, sue me), but I could never get into TNG.

16. Kevin Wolff

The first 2 seasons are almost surreal, but the characters hit their stride by S3. Keep going, it will slowly become more familiar. TV Picard blows movie action hero Picard away IMHO, although First Contact was the best translation. If you get into TNG, you might like Nemesis less, but I like Tom Hardy too.

17. e3jeremey

e3jeremey Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm here!

18. soornge

soornge Commander Red Shirt

was not really a big tng fan at the time or even for the first few seasons with the exception of Data andQ did not really care much for the characters or stories : :sometime after the thanful death of tasha started really like the show more . recently have enjoyed it much more in re broadcast on bbc then i did when it was new : favorite scene is still Q turning beverly into a dog best trek moment ever

19. Papermoon

Papermoon Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi everyone
    I began my trek days with TNG and then VOY but Picard defo holds a firm place in my heart. I often watch other captain's doing their thing, and think 'What would Picard do?'. Some times it makes me think that he's a bit of a square, but we all are sometimes.

I'm watching DS9 for the first time at the moment and can see some TNG in the early episodes.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing the discussion

20. PyroJockey

PyroJockey Ensign Red Shirt

Greetings. Trek fan from day one, really enjoy TNG