Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 23skidoo, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Battlestar Galactica was mastered in high definition, and had heaps of bonus content that was made by the producers at no cost to the studio. Universal and the Sci-Fi Channel (er, SyFy) have been extremely supportive of the series at all avenues. It's still on the air.

Warner Bros., on the other hand, has Babylon 5. It's a show that wasn't mastered in HD, with effects that can only be completely redone if they must appear in HD format (all the CGI elements have been lost, only the few that were recreated for The Legend of the Rangers and The Lost Tales still exist). It's rarely been on television since it ended. And Warner Bros. (PTEN doesn't even exist anymore, and TNT stopped supporting it after 1 year) doesn't support the program with any kind of logical synergy (as recently explained by JMS).

2. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I say BSG, I'm not just talking about the new show. I'm talking about the old, the new movie in the works, and how the franchise refuses to just give up the ghost.

I really doubt B5 will have any less staying power. And if there's a buck to be made (and from what I hear, DVD sales have been quite lucrative...)

Never say never.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Ah, I see. Whether Babylon 5 has any staying power, at least in Joe Michael Strazynski's lifetime, is up to him. Warner Bros. certainly can't be trusted to do much with the property, besides going for a cheap buck. We'll see what happens in the future.

4. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, Farscape fans. I've not seen this series, but am looking to start a new SF series. Sell me on this box set.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, it's my favorite television series, fellow Washingtonian. On that count, I didn't know there were many of us here, so hello. Tacoma's not too far away from me.

But onto Farscape, it has great characters, wonderfully imaginative design, and an irreverent tone that is a wondeful change of pace from space opera that takes itself much more seriously (Babylon 5, Battestar Galactica, Star Trek). The first season starts and stops, but by the end of it the series is running at full pace. But some people think it's weird, so if you're not sure, rent the first season before investing in the complete set.

6. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

I always liked the ADV trailers
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvGmRULJ4R8[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiz1GbJMGFQ[/yt]

7. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Complete series now $74.38 at deepdiscount also $69.99 at bestbuy.com

8. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, it's definitely weird. And I say so as a diehard fan. Farscape is weird, quirky, bizarre and wonderfully entertaining space opera. It's also capable of being as serious and dramatic as most other shows in the genre, with each season typically concluding with a breathless and epic arc.

But yeah, rent it. Opinions seem divided on the first season from what I've seen, but most would agree among those who like it that it gets good or great at "Nerve", the first episode of the end-of-season arc, so possibly consider sticking it out till then.

I personally consider it good from the get-go, though the first season is more than a trifle patchy early on.

9. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the advice, folks.

Harvey: where are you in WA?

10. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

Jeez, that's tremendous value. Thanks so much! I easily would have spent the few bucks above $100 that Amazon was offering... But, wow.

Probably gonna pre-order from Best Buy within the hour.

11. Dar70

Good Man.:techman: I just ordered them myself. I think it includes the peacekeeper wars as a bestbuy exclusive. (I will be asking when I go into my local store.) I have heard some talk of a bluray set one day, but I figure it wouldnt be that cheap and by the time it was $69.99 I would be an old man. I want to re-enjoy them now.:lol:

12. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wonderful. Best Buy marks their set down the day before my set (which cost me $120 on Amazon -- I also got PKW from them --) arrives at my doorstep. Thanks Best Buy!

13. Dar70

Maybe you can return it? $104 from Amazon seemed cheap to me a few days ago also. Especially since these have been so hard to get over the years and much more expensive. I was surprised by this price drop. I wouldnt be kicking yourself too hard.

14. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

Just sent in my order. Probably will pick it up Wednesday, as long as it's in stock at my local Best Buy... Which I imagine it will be.

Not sure what I'll do if it includes The Peacekeeper Wars, I picked that up a year or so ago separately... Oh well!

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, already a steal at a $100 IMO, this is awesome!

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I can relate. I also bought the Peacekeeper Wars form Amazon a few months back, and was planning to get the complete series from them, but after coming to this board last night and seeing the Best Buy deal, I ordered from them instead (Thanks for saving me $40. by the way, you guys).

If my set does include Peacekeepers, I just give my old copy to my friend, who I have been trying to interest in both Farscape and Babylon 5 for years, but he keeps saying "Those are more fantasy than SF", a sure sign that he's never seen either one of them.

17. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Wow, where's my dang credit card? Thanks for the heads up!

18. Dar70

FYI guys. I never received a confirmation email from Best Buy on the set. So I went to the store this morning. They only had two sets come in. I Store sale price is $99.99 (Regular 129.99) I had the clerk look it up and he saw the $69.99 online price. So get to BB today if possible. Also even though there is no separate box for the peacekeeper wars, or any other indication they are in this set except for the sticker on the box, they are indeed in this set. They shoehorned them into the archive dvd case.

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Should I hold my breath for Blu-Ray or just go ahead and get the DVD set?

20. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I'm in the same boat.

If I remember correctly, Amazon will sometimes refund the difference in price price if there is a reduction. I'm going to try sending them an email about it.