Drive: Utter destruction of B'Elanna Torres

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ben Maxwell, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Ben Maxwell

Ben Maxwell Ensign

WOW. I haven't watched this episode in years, but did Torres take a bottle of ambien? She's so quiet and wispy and whiny. 7 years of a hostile Klingon to THIS? I felt EMBARRASSED for Roxanne.

2. Ben Maxwell

Ben Maxwell Ensign

oh and ANOTHER THING. Voyager (38 torpedoes and no way to replace them) is now wasting them for starting guns?

3. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

They probably removed the antimatter payload for "starting gun" purposes. The outer shell should be easily replaceable with an industrial replicator.

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

She looked great in her NASCAR jumpsuit.

5. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I would imagine the racing officials gave them something to fire

6. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I think this was a good episode for her. It wasn't that she was "wispy and whiny" but just very upset and dissapointed when Tom forgot their plans. In the mess hall scene she was coming to the realization that they weren't a good fit and was probably quite upset about it. That's why she seemed quiet. (plus based on her scratchy voice in that scene I think Roxann was sick) but I think she played it great and it was really good for the character

I actually like this episode a lot. Harry goes after the wrong girl again, the priceless look on Tom's face when he sees B'Elanna instead of Harry board the Flyer, and of course I'm a sap for the "mushy stuff"

Edit:
    and isn't it funny....people comlain that she acted too agressive, and when she's not people comlain about that too. I tell ya, Voyager can never win.

7. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Love-hate on this ep for me.

I loved the idea of an interstellar race & loved how the crew got into it.

I was well nigh exhausted by the childishness of both Tom & B'Elanna by that point. Yep, he's a selfish, childish bastard who thinks only about his good times. We get it.

However, when something like this comes up, B'Elanna could have a little more understanding of the guy she's involved with.

I spent a good portion of this episode yelling "Grow up, already" at the both of them.

8. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I think she did have an understanding of it. That's why she told him to go be in the race and they would do their holodeck weekend another time.

I disagree with you about Tom too. He's a PILOT and there is a giant race, he got really excited about it and forgot their plans, it's happened. I've done that myself. But as soon as she mentioned that they did have plans he immediately said he would skip the race.

9. teya

That's why I said she should have been more understanding. Yeah, she told him to do the race--and then spent all that time pouting about how they were so incompatible and he didn't care about her and yadda yadda sob.

Yes, real life relationships go that way. I get bored with friends who whine about the same crap with their husbands for year after year after year after year as well.

I'm just not a huge fan of Tom & B'Elanna.

10. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

she WAS understanding she didn't give him grief or guilt about the race, even joined him in an activity that he loved. And yeah so she was upset about canceling the plans that she worked hard to put together, who wouldn't be.

11. teya

As I said. I simply got tired of watching Tom & B"Elanna argue about the same old shit year after year.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tom treated B'Elanna like shit this episode. Poor Torres, between her unbelievably awful depression episode (I can only assume nobody involved in that has ever actually suffered from or had a loved one who suffers through depression) and being Tom's doormat in this.... ugh. It was somewhat frustrating to watch.

13. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

in all fairness they argued about different things, this was the first time they had this particular argument, not that it even was an argument

14. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I don't think he did. He was going to drop out of the race without hesitation. And later on the Flyer when he thought she was upset he shut the engines down right away so they could talk, he gave up winning the race to talk to her

15. teya

I saw their arguments come down to the same things:

1. B'Elanna has issues with being half-Klingon & has a short fuse.

2. Tom is an overgrown adolescent who likes to play & ignores his woman.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Utterly amusing that yet another one of Harry's would be flames turns out to be an elf terrorist. ;)

17. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I thought her ears were adorable!

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think this ep was the "utter destruction" of B'Elanna. It's not like it's out of character from other spats and relationship issues she had with Tom. I did find it tedious the way the writers seemed to be going out of their way to show hackneyed relationship tropes NOW with 24th century colour!

Man wants to do man things with engines. Forgets woman. Woman pouts. There is a scene :rolleyes:

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

This episode is average.

If any episode ruined B'elana it was the one where she was doing death sports on the holodeck. Or the weird episode where she tried to geneti-mutilate her baby. Not this one.

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It was a nice excuse to see more ships.