Is this guy a few sandwiches short of a picnic?? (time traveler)

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Joerib, May 30, 2013.

1. Joerib

Joerib Lieutenant Red Shirt

2. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow... I'd say the basket is completely empty there. Using school children, no less. What is this, Japanese anime? Project Doraemon.

3. Joerib

Joerib Lieutenant Red Shirt

LOL!! Obama was a time traveler also!!! :guffaw:

4. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I think Obama must have provided the salad dressing.

5. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

As a renegade temporal agent, I can confirm that we have never picked this guy on our sensors. He's full of shit. And only a fool would believe that Obama has ever been to Mars. It was his son, and he beamed to New Mars, a post-human colony on Kepler-22b. Not the same thing.

P.S. I am willing to trade more details for a working flux capacitor.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The guy is a genius. Those who pay for membership on the other hand...

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

The "Birthers" have got it all wrong. Obama wasn't born in Kenya. He's a Martian time traveler!

This Andrew D. Basiago dude is nuttier than squirrel poop.

8. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Why is it that when people make such outlandish claims, they can't help but design their websites to look amazingly similar to conspiracy theorist nut websites? ;)

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Just ask him who won the 2014 Superbowl and ask him to bet all his money. If he's from the future, he'd know, right?

10. YellowSubmarine

He'll tell you that time can be rewritten. Touché.

11. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

wouldn't coming from the future alter the past, so the future he knew would never happen so any predictions he had would be meaningless anyway if it was true.

12. QuarkforNagus

QuarkforNagus Lieutenant Red Shirt

I wonder if he ever met John Titor.

13. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

OK, so I humored this guy and watched some youtube videos of his alleged exploits at DARPA as a child, and while he seems to be a very good storyteller, there are some serious problems with his narrative of events. I'll just ignore the possible problems with the technology, and just point out inconsistencies in his story. He claims that children were chosen for the project because time travel does not affect them in a negative way, like it does adults, and yet he claims he met his adult, time traveling father, during a trip back to Gettysburg in 1865.

He also claims that trips back in time can only last about 15 minutes before the device loses energy or something like that...yet his narrative of his actions in 1865 clearly could not take place in the span of only 15 minutes. Later, he also started making claims that the time travel may have sent them back to 'synthetic realities' created by aliens.....and yet, he claims that the child in the foreground of the famous picture of Lincoln's head at Gettysburg, is him, which could only be the case if he was physically present in 1865. Basically, he's either a very gifted liar, or a total psycho, but the inconsistencies in his story mean that he can't be telling the truth :).

If this guy decided to stop being crazy, and instead become a science fiction writer, then he would probably be successful :).

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Not if he was always destined to come back in time.

15. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

He could always be both, like L. Ron Hubbard.

16. Chrono85

Well, I don't think Hubbard was crazy, I think he was just manipulating people :).

17. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hubbard and Heinlein had a contest about creating a religion, you grok?

18. Chrono85

Well, that's only a rumor which has never been proven. It doesn't sound like something that Heinlein would do anyway.

19. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This got me wondering how could one prove they were from the future (opposite of being able to bring technology with you) if the Butterfly Effect is real and your return changed things?

Natural disasters? Meteor strikes on planets/moons in the solar system and their time and date?

20. YellowSubmarine

You can know about meteor strikes without time travel. Natural disasters might also be predictable. It only proves you know something others don't. I don't think that even bringing technology from the future is a very good proof – secret government technological developments and international conspiracies, as crazy as they are, are more likely than time travel.

On the other hand, for predicting the future, the butterfly effect doesn't matter at all. It only spoils major events. If you went to the 19th century, even if, say, World War II didn't happen, you can still predict personal computers, cellphones, television shows, spaceflight, the Internet, same-sex marriage, women wearing trousers, medical advances, universal suffrage, skyscrapers, global warming and HIV. Even if you meddle with history, those will still come true, and predicting them all without pre-knowledge is nearly impossible.

Unless you were visited by aliens and read their history books...

ETA: Go tell Charles Babbage that in the future people will have a differential engine in their pocket dedicated to doing discrete Fourier transforms on the colours of moving pictures of other people's cats they sent you over the wireless telegraph to recreate them for you to watch while you take a doody. Totally unthinkable, yet completely inevitable.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013