The Improving the JJprise thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Lord Garth FOI, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Now we're talking. This works far better than JJ's Uglyprise.

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Other than a few minor tweaks to the CG Model and adding a few partitions to create a cleaner looking engineering in some sections she's fine.

I finally got a hold of some bluray captures of the fleet in the film and fancy having a go at the Armstrong sometime next year in Blender.

3. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

I love this. Truly a great re-interpretation of the design. Your vision far exceeds what we saw on-screen. Beautiful work.

Irishman likes this.
  4. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, it's funny. I greatly admire Dennis' skill with 3D and this is a fine model, but it's not quite right for JJ's movie. I get that Abrams wanted a new interpretation. My problem is that the ship he presented looks like a mishmash of styles, bad engineering, and messy proportions.

So as much as I'd love to see a dressed-up version of the TOS ship on the big screen, and as beautiful as the above work looks, I wish someone in Trek 2009's art department came up with a more appealing re-interpretation of the Enterprise than what we got.

5. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Thank your lucky stars he does not design women.

6. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

I don't think much of it. It's the TMP Enterprise with droopy nacelles.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

They look pretty sturdy and solid to me.

Irishman likes this.
  8. baxart

baxart Commander Red Shirt

I like what you've got going here, but I also liked the elongated look of the JJprise. Maybe like this?
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I just wish they hadn't made the thing so damn big. (IMO somebody's taking their compensation issues way too far.)

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Ships are usually the biggest things humans build, and given that the Enterprise is the flagship of the entire Federation fleet, built around 250 years from now, the pinnacle of our technology, I'd really be very disappointed if she weren't big.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I like the Ryan Church version a lot better than mine as well. My model is just a little elaboration of elements, mostly from the ST:TMP ship with a few important things like the nacelles from Church's. I could never have designed those nacelles to begin with, though.

11. baxart

baxart Commander Red Shirt

But going from 289m to 725m? The size of the TOS E was supposed to be comparable to an aircraft carrier. Since TOS (excepting VOY and ENT), the ships just keep getting bigger and bigger, it's a little nuts. So we're going from carrier to super-tanker?
    The Nostromo was towing a massive refinery, but that was totally automated.

Also, they based the JJ-E window layout off the refit-E, but with the scale change, the windows don't make sense.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Does it really matter? shes the flagship of the fleet and the damn Enterprise, I don't care if she's 200 or 2000 meters.

13. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

who cares how big the ship is? it's not like she needs to fit in the same garage.

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Captain Pike said she was the newest flagship, that sounds like they have a lot of them.

In the alternate universe, perhaps all Starfleet vessels are "Flagships." That way everyone can feel special and validated.

:)

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The previous ship was probably stepped down from service shortly before.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Who says the flagship has to be the biggest ship? :p

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Nothing, and for all we know she isn't, there may be bigger ships than her out there already. ;)

18. Birdog

Birdog Commander Red Shirt

That word keeps coming up but I don't think any one here knows what it means. A flagship is the vessel that carries the officer in command of a taskforce or fleet typically a commodore or admiral which are flag ranks and the ship would bear their flag.

The book of wikipedia says

19. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

I'm getting tired of this "flagship" nonsense. Plus does want want a "flagship" to be run by JJ Kirk?

Personally, JJ just said it was so big because he wanted it to sound cool...., excuse me, ...."kewl". That, or to make up for some sort of shortcoming.

But, here's something I posted in my art thread, and I think it's an excellent way to improve the JJPrise. :D
    [​IMG]

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

All that picture does is insult the oldmanprise by making her out to be incontenent, well done. *claps slowly*