Nolan -verse update

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

If Warner Bros was smart, they would force Nolan to keep the ending a little open for either a tie in, a continuation or something so they can keep making money off of Batman.

Personally what I want to see is the end where Bruce is getting there up in age and Terry McGuiness is the new Batman thus leading into Batman Beyond.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

^Emily Blunt just talked about that in a recent interview and said she was flattered by the rumor but it had no validity. She did make a claim that she would love to play Catwoman if there was an offer, however she admitted it would be hard to top Michelle Pfiefer's performance. http://www.batman-on-film.com/BATMAN-3_rumor_emily-blunt-show-me-the-catwoman_April-9-2010.html

Anyway, as for Nolan finding villains to top The Joker, I think there are plenty. You have to realize that Nolan never really goes for a singular leading villain. With both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight he had a main villain (i.e. Ra's al Ghul & The Joker) but they were supplemented by supporting villains like The Scarecrow, Two-Face, Carmine Falcone & Salvatore Maroni. In fact, when you dissect it, each of his films had three big villains -- one representing the main villain element (i.e. the "freak"), one representing the secondary villainous element (i.e. Two-Face was the emotional backbone of The Dark Knight) and then one representing the mob element (Falcone & Maroni). So one would assume if Nolan intends to follow that pattern that we'll see the same structure in the next Batman film.

The Riddler probably wouldn't be enough to support an entire film as the villain, at least not after Batman Forever, but if he's supplemented by Catwoman and The Penguin, then that makes sense. However, there has been slight talk of Nolan creating a new villain (whether main or minor) for the third film, but personally, I would like to see Nolan come up with villains we haven't seen yet. Nolan has denounced The Penguin, saying he doesn't fit within his "realistic" approach for some reason, but what about Black Mask taking up the reigns in the fractured mob factions in wake of The Dark Knight? I'd love to see Deadshot, who played a role in the Batman Begins/The Dark Knight tie-in Gotham Knight, co-penned by David Goyer. Nolan mentioned at one point that he could be a possibility for the third film. Even though this is a purely unconventional choice, I'd love to see Hugo Strange as a FBI criminal profiler brought in to take down Batman now that he is a vigilante and on the run. So there are many possibilities for villains. I don't think one should be concerned about "topping" The Joker -- because you can't -- but instead focus on a good, strong story and allow the characters to play roles based on that story. Ignoring that and worrying about which villain can top the last one is the same type of poor storytelling that ruined the Burton/Schumacher Batman films.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been toying with the idea of Black Mask being the villain along with Taila al Ghul returning with a rebulit League of Shadows and introducing Selina Kyle in the movie.

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally, I'd like to see this done with Superman, as I think that character would fit the concept better than Batman. However, that doesn't mean I don't think it would work with Batman.

Who says that a "real ending" has to include the character dying/giving up the mantle/etc? Can't a "real ending" be a thematic ending with the issues that have been building since BB resolved, but with Batman still around for (potential) future adventures?

For example, the original Star Wars trilogy. If you look at the trilogy as a whole, the Emperor and Darth Vader were defeated, but the Empire was still around and the good guys were still there to have future adventures.

6. Admiral_Young

I personally think that the third film is going to resolve any of Bruce's doubts or internal conflict that he has about his role of Batman's that was created by the events of The Dark Knight which I like to look at as a purely Batman film while Batman Begins is a Bruce Wayne story. I think "3" is going to "merge" these two concepts.

7. JacksonArcher

I think what Lapis was referring to is that she doesn't want Nolan to cheat his story and the progressing story of the films he's made so far. If the story calls for Batman to die or to have his secret identity revealed, or to give up the mantle, then the story should not shy away from that.

Nolan should be able to end the movie his way, given the creative control he's been granted over the past two films, and not worry about ending the film because Batman is a franchise character. Like I mentioned before, that mentality is what hindered the Burton/Schumacher films and one of the vital reasons why Nolan's films have been so successful.

8. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

The Freak: The Riddler or Mr Freeze
    Second Villain: Hush or Clayface
    The Mob: The Squid or Black Mask

I think Poison Ivy would be great too.

9. Admiral_Young

I think the studio has complete confidence in whatever story that Nolan develops and will allow him to make the final film the way he wants to which is only a good thing for us fans. I chose Talia and Black Mask as villains for the third film because I think it circles back to the start of the film. Talia is the daughter of Ra's al Ghul and represents unfinished business with his mentor while Black Mask leads a rebirth of the mob. I would introduce Selina as a true romantic interest for Bruce. Rachel's death would affect him greatly to the point where he'd probably not seek out anyone but this mysterious Selina Kyle has caught his interest. Taila could potential be used in a triangle situation...have some kind of back story where she was off at college and only heard about Bruce in correspondence with her father (like in the novelization for Batman Begins) but grows fascinated by this man her father considered a possible heir.

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

We've already seen a 600 year old man and a guy who's skin was bleached by acid get reworked to fit. There's no reason why the same can't be done with the other villains. That said, I've never held out much hope that we'd ever see villains like Freeze or Poison Ivy. It's a shame too because I've always wondered what they'd be like in Nolan's universe.

While everyone was pining for Angeline Jolie to play Catwoman, I thought that Nolan would go for someone like Rose Byrne, someone people wouldn't suspect, just like all his other casting choices.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see a "Nolan" Mr. Freeze or Poison Ivy (no Bane please). I never cared a whole lot for Poison Ivy (and mind you, I don't know her fromt he comics at all) but I thought she was cool in the Arkham Asylum game and would like to see how she'd be done.

12. Aragorn

My pick would be Olivia Wilde. :)

13. Broccoli

My pick would be Rosanne Barr. Honestly, no one would see that coming. :shifty:

14. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Riddler would be the best choice as he can provoke action but of a pretty different sort than what we've seen before and he would be different enough from Joker that whether he's better or worse could be mostly avoided (in my view he's good enough).

The Riddler as a villain would also likely involve more material between Batman and Gordon and force Gotham to do more evaluation about Batman.

Poison Ivy would be "escalation" with physical threats but probably too much. Hugo Strange and a returned Scarecrow could play interesting roles, though returning to Scarecrow and having another psychologist probably wouldn't excite people.

15. Broccoli

They should bring back Bob the Goon. It is really the only logical choice.

:shifty:

16. JacksonArcher

[​IMG]

17. Broccoli

18. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Bat - Mite?

But seriously Freeze would be very well. Especially that craptacular piece Arn-ahld did needs redeeming.

19. Aragorn

There's the Philip Seymour Hoffman role! :)

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Fatwoman?

(Hey, someone had to say it)