(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pearson's anything but solid or gritty ;)

Not to mention he can't cross, pass or shoot. He can just run, and run, and run....perfect for Forest I'd say! :lol:

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

He's box to box alright! :) Be surprised if BD didn't try to sign at least a few of the players he signed for us. I think Howard's too old but Oakley is a possibility, as is Pearson/Bywater. Whether we sell them is another matter...

3. Angel4576

I think had it been PJ then Pearson would be allowed to leave, and Bywater. PJ was previously prepared to let Pearson go to Stoke, and Bywater to Tottenham.

Oakley would follow Davies to Forest tomorrow if he could. I'd imagine that he's tied down to a contract though and Forest, financially, won't be able to prise him away from Leicester. Howard I think is probably too old now, but I'm sure Billy will be looking for an able alternative.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah Howard probably is too old now. Irresspective of PJ leaving the squad desperately needs trimming...of course Nigel might decide it needs trimming in a different way to PJ.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Football is different, he's ex derby am not going to welcome him with open arms. However am not calling for him to be sacked like some people are with Smith ;)

6. Angel4576

There's undoubtedly a retarded minority amongst our own fans who won't be happy with us appointing young Nigel. Fortunately, Nigel's got his father's history with the club, and his own with Burton Albion to fall back on, which to be honest, makes these people even more retarded.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The world's most annoying footballer, as voted for by Thierry Henry, has launched in to his twice annual I hate Arsenal rant.

You know what's embarassing Kevin ? Asking your team's fans to travel hundreds of miles, sit outdoors in the freezing cold and watch their team hide in their own box for 90 minutes. Manuel Almunia could have spent most of the game sitting on the pitch playing Brain Training.

One team has come to the Emirates this season and tried to give us a football match in the Premier League this season - Hull! Everyone else hides, even Man U and Liverpool turned up with one striker. 5 years ago I might have accepted the excuse that you had to be defensive against Arsenal. It is not like we are anywhere near as good as the Invincibles were. We're there to be beaten, won't somebody please give us a football match ?

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^ So teams should play an attacking style so you can win, its called tactics and if Utd can manage to win games when teams park the bus then so can you. Rjikarrd complained about MAN UTD playing negative football in the CL semi final 2nd leg and right there it shows the difference between...

A good manager like Frank

A great manager like Arsene

and a world class manager like FERGIE...tactics simple as and if you wind up the opposition, then your halfway there.

PS - didn't ASTON VILLA come to your ground to attack and won 2-0.

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^I am saying teams should try to win and entertain their fans instead of ripping them off.

Even Villa showed up with a 4-5-1. You can blame David Moyes for this, he got Everton in to the Champions League with this approach and everyone copied him.

It is not just against Arsenal, the default away formation is 4-5-1 no matter who you are playing.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I'll take points instead of performance any day of the week.

11. Angel4576

We played attacking football against United in the cup last week and played them off the park. However, I have a sneaky feeling that we may be a tad more cautious at OT...... :lol:

12. Angel4576

That's fortunate, now that you've got Billy in...... ;)

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ha ha...

And a tad more cautious at OT?? I imagine we'll play the 10-0-0 formation :guffaw:

14. Angel4576

I wouldn't be surprised if we made a few emergency signings in between now and the second leg next week. I think Nigel's pretty smart, he's probably looking for 11 sumo wrestlers as we speak. He'll just line them up in goal and they won't be able to get through!

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I was discussing this yesterday, there must be a rule that says you can't just stand all your players in front of goal for the entire match :lol:

16. Angel4576

^^ I still want to know if there's anything in the rules for Ice Hockey stopping you from getting a fat bloke and just plonking him in front of the net. Some of those sumo wrestlers would literally block the entire goal.

17. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Football is supposed to be entertaining.

Gary Megson has copyrighted that one.

18. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Are you seriously claiming Kevin Davies, or indeed anyone else in the world, is more annoying than Nicholas Anelka?

19. Angel4576

Breaking news on SSN, Man City have opened talks with Milan over a £100m transfer for Kaka. Reportedly offering him £500k per week in wages.

Who the fcuk is supposed to compete with this spending power?

20. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Where are you getting the transfer numbers? I don't see it on the SSN article. If the figures are true then fuck I have to say please Berlusconi sell Kaka and bring Gourcuff back from Bordeaux. He is as close to being the next Zidane as any player in the world. With £100m Milan can rebuild properly.