Nolan 'Unsure' about Batman Sequel

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The 3rd movie will never beat TDK but it still could be a solid movie inbetween 1 & 2 with a good send off. There will be a 3rd and if Nolan is not there to direct am sure we can hold onto the writing team or enough of it to make a good 3rd movie.

personally I want to see a new batcave and car though I don't mind if we have to wait quite long into the movie to do so. Also no Robin but I would love to see The Riddler who could take his twisted nature from Joker.

2. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I think DAVID FINCHER could make a pretty good Batman movie...

Rob

3. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Robin, if included should be an amalgam character, with elements of both Dick Grayson and Jason Todd. Start him out as an orphan on the streets, rather than as Bruce Wayne's ward. He's inspired by Batman to take revenge against the evil around him, and does so brutally in the guise of the Red Hood. As Red Hood doesn't have any qualms about killing, an unfortunate consequence of Batman's decision to take the fall for Dent's killings. Batman goes after Red Hood, and finds about that he's only a kid, around 11-13. Instead of turning th ekid over to the police, he takes the kid into his home, and tries to teach him how to fight crime the right way.

As for villains, Riddler should be used as a string-pulling mastermind, the sort of individual that everyone works for, but no one has met. A reptation witout a face. He should be the sort of character who controls the entire playing field, but never sets foot on it. An enigma.

4. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I'm not interested in Robin but I think they could do some very interesting things with a teenage Barbara Gordon as Batgirl. Commissioner Gordon finds that he's losing touch with his daughter but he doesn't know why. She finds herself attracted to crime fighting for a number of conflicting, confusing reasons, not all of them right. Batman, at first, welcomes the help & the company. But as things go on, he realizes that he may simply be contributing to the delinquency of a minor and dragging an innocent down into his madness. Plus, while Batman may have paternal feelings toward Batgirl, things would get really hairy once he realizes that this hormonal teenager may be searching for something more.

It's a twisted, dark way to tell a Batman story that doesn't deevolve into Frank Miller's murderous thug or Tim Burton's broad, gothic interpretation.

(Although, I admit this idea may be too twisted for Hollywood. It would make Batman Returns seem pretty mainstream by comparison.)

5. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, it's already been done. It's canon in the DCAU that Batman and Batgirl had a sexual affair. It ended badly.

It that won't work in Nolan's reboot series because Barbara hasn't even been born yet.

6. The Borgified Corpse

^No, I'm pretty sure she's been born. She's just an infant right now. But it's an easy fix. Just jump about 14-16 years into the future. The way I figure it, it would only work if Alfred is dead anyhow.

7. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

if the 3rd one gets a new director & its not a comeplete reboot I could see WB wanting either Dent or Joker back for the 3rd. I dont know about a recast Joker(it would just feel wrong to me) but I wouldnt mind seeing Two-Face again(even if it would kinda ruin the end of TDK)

8. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two Face is dead, Aaron eckhart has said so in past interviews

I think David fincher, alfonso cuaron and possibly a peaul greengrass or darren arsnofsky would be suitable if not Nolan

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not quite sure how that doesn't count. I could maybe see an argument that since that was Cuaron's first movie in the franchise it doesn't count.

If Nolan isn't up to the task I'm sure there's a McG, Michael Bay, or Paul Anderson ready to step in. Maybe Steven Sommers . What's Schumacher up to these days?:)

10. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well when we saw the Gordan family at the end of The Dark Knight they did have a little girl as well as a little boy, I assumed she was Barbra.

11. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh i can just see Paul Anderson's Batman right now.

Alfred will disappear from the series with no explanation to be replaced by Milla Jovovich, doesnt really matter on the character name she's been playing the same person for years.
    Bruce will automatically fall in love with this wonderful woman and do whatever she says, while she develops psychic powers and single-handedly saves Gotham.Bruce looks on in awe wishing he could be that great.

Oh and dont forget the super-kewl laser scene that will be shoved in despite it not fitting the setting.

12. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Get Nolan off this project and get someone who understands the characters. Nolans interpretation of the Joker was dull. Only Ledger made it at all interesting. Far to many opportunities for the Jokers style were passed up in TDK. So if Nolan wants out, theres the door pal I will not be sorry to see you leave.

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not necessarily disagreeing but can you elaborate what you didn't like?

14. Crystalline Entity

Crystalline Entity Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well, if Nolan doesn't have any ideas, here's a few from me! :)

The third movie should continue Bruce Wayne's struggle with what the Batman persona means for him. I would bring it to a resolution by giving serious consideration to ending the third (or 4th) movie with Bruce stepping away from being Batman. Either due to injury, the personal costs being too high... or because he has a successor. If Year One was the inspiration for Begins, why not have Bruce Wayne's involvement with Batman come to an end like in The Dark Knight Returns?

As for villains, I would make them the corrupt city and police. One of my criticisms of Nolan's Batman movies is that Gotham is too clean, not corrupt-looking enough. Sure people say the city is corrupt, has no hope, but it doesn't look it. For the next movie, turn Gotham into a true urban hellhole. In the third movie, corrupt city officials, like the mayor, or other business elites, want to take over the city and run it the way they think it should be run; i.e., the Golden Rule: those who have the Gold, make the Rules! Part of this plan is to continue making Batman the scapegoat, justifying creating a police state in Gotham.

Having the City be the enemy doesn't mean no cool costumed villains. I would use The Riddler and Bane: Eddie Nygma is an eccentric, crazed genius, who the fatcats bring in to help run the investigation against Batman. Bane is a no-nonsense enforcer, who beats up, tortures or kills anyone (crooks, cops, civilians) they need info from, or gets in the way.

As Bruce struggles against the forces of officialdom, he has to deal with the personal fallout from the end of DKR. Maybe bring in Catwoman or Talia for a love interest. Have Bruce become a detective and spy as he uses his billionaire status to infiltrate the cabal. Meanwhile, Riddler and Bane are closing in on him. If they want to do a fourth movie, you could have Bane break Bruce's back a la Knightfall, and set up the fourth movie being about training Bruce's replacement: not Robin, or Nightwing, but another 'Batman', a la Batman Beyond.

To complicate things, you could have Riddler actually working for two sides: the remnants of the mob as well as the other billionaires. Or he could even be reporting to a mysterious figure who is only revealed at the end as Ra's al Gul! :eek:

The point is, if I could come up with some non-sucky ideas, surely Nolan can. Bring us Batman 3! :techman:

15. Icemizer

Tuln, the Joker as presented by Nolan was way to one dimensional and missed out on a truely insane, warped world view Joker that could have been. I only felt he really captured the Joker once in the whole movie and thats when he pushed the button and the hospital didnt fully explode.
    Two parts added in would have made things better for the character.
    Scene One when the commisioner was killed drinking the poisoned liquor he should have died laughing and and with the Joker smile on his face.
    Scene Two when the cops lifted the shirt of the guy with the bomb sewn into him, it should have been put in like a clown face with the blinking light as the clowns nose.

16. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

What I liked about the Joker in this movie was the he was truly a psychopath and not some cartoon version of one. And I think having the clown motif everywhere would have put into a Tim Burton movie.

17. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I agree..and I think the best scene in the entire movie is he speech Joker gives Batman in the interogation room and at the end...those two scenes made the movie..IMO..

Rob

18. Icemizer

Zoom and Scorpio you both prove my point. Nolans Joker was just a nutcase who wore makeup. Nothing defined the character. He was just an anarchist. No style, no cleverness. He just wanted to be the opposite of the Batman and he didnt even get that right.
    Have you read The Killing Joke? That was the Joker. Nothing Nolans Joker did even came close. He didnt even come up with any creative plans but used the same tactic twice. Save the D.A or the girl/ Save boat A or boat B.
    There were brief flashes of what this Joker could have been but all to brief and unfullfilling.

19. The Borgified Corpse

No Paul Greengrass unless someone buys this man a fucking tripod! Seriously, I got way too sick of all the shaky-cam gimmicks in The Bourne Ultimatum.

I can easily picture Johnny Depp as a replacement Joker but I think they'd have to wait another movie for that. I'd be more interested in using Harley Quinn as a way to keep the Joker's presence in the movie without doing an actual recast.

And while I know some people think that the Lazarus Pit doesn't fit in with Nolan's realistic aesthetic, I don't think that this franchise is finished with Ra's Al-Ghul yet. In fact, towards the end of The Dark Knight, I kept expecting Ra's Al-Ghul to show up just to say to Bruce, "I told you so."

20. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I think we saw a different movie.

And a total one. Not a political one, not a social one, just anarchy is a pure undiluted form. Chilling.

The opening bank heist scene was clever. The jail break was clever.

He certainly got underneath his skin.

Yes. It's great.

It was A Joker. Lots of different Jokers, like lots of different Batmans. Both characters have been reinterpreted over time. What makes them great is the reinvention without destroying their core.

The 1960s Joker is VERY different than the 1990s Joker. Or the Dark Knight Returns Joker.

They were questions for the Batman and Gotham...do you let people die? Do you let bad people die? Where is the moral/ethical line? And ultimately, the Joker is right, no matter what, someone is going to die.

I disagree.