Star trek final frontier directors cut finished

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by tmosler, Jul 7, 2013.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi I have great news for those wanting a directors cut of the final frontier. Gustavo whos in charge of the final frontier directors cut movement has recently posted that the directors cut is finished and Bill Shatner is going to see it. Also I think they are currently talking with CBS. This new version has been remastered with new good special effects and problems have been fixed such as the deck number goof. Also they have added new scenes such as one where a rock monster chases kirk which was originaly going to be in the movie but was cut do to budget issues. If you want more updated on this go to trek web or go to there facebook page titled Petition for a "Star Trek V" Special Edition.

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^Will do. Thanks for the update!

--Sran

3. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if they fixed the 'Spock suddenly descending in gravity boots' goof?

You know, explain how he got above them in the turbo-lift shaft, and why he did not simply take them the same route he took which led him away to higher ground away from their pursuers. ;)

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't see how adding a rock monster would fix any of this film's problems. (Besides, people would probably accuse it of ripping off the Galaxy Quest rock monster. And yes, I know that rock monster was a reference to the one that was supposed to be in ST V, but others wouldn't know that.)

Although I'd appreciate it if they cut out the lines about Sha Ka Ree being at the center of the galaxy.

5. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Less Sybok and more camping scenes would be good, but I suppose that is probably not going to happen. :devil:

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

How is it the Directors Cut if the director of the film didn't work on it?

7. Christopher

I felt Sybok was the most effective thing about the movie.

Technically I guess it isn't, but maybe the people who did edit it did so according to Shatner's notes and recommendations -- sort of like how Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut is actually the Michael Thau cut in consultation with Donner.

8. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Damn good question.

9. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

It'll be the Director's Cut if Shatner signs off on it and says "Yup, that's pretty much what I would've done." It'll be about as much a Director's Cut then as the 1992 version of Blade Runner was (Ridley Scott provided notes/tips, but didn't oversee it himself). Otherwise, it's just a Fanedit. Either way, Paramount won't touch it on sheer principle. Or they'll simply shelve the only copy and only release it on Blu-Ray when Shatner (gulp) is no longer with us.

10. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, they're going to talk to CBS. After they did all the work. And if CBS says no, then what?

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

CBS could also take it and run with it without having to pay any of them for the work they did.

That should never be a reason against restoring a scene. It's not Star Trek V's fault that ten years later someone else took that idea and remade it.

12. Kinokima

The actor himself was fine but I just could not get behind the idea that Spock suddenly had an emotional 1/2 Vulcan brother.

13. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

Kinda like the novel 'Enterprise: The First Adventure' where Spock all of a sudden had an emotional cousin. I wonder where they got the idea...

14. Christopher

What? Sybok was a full Vulcan. We were told in the film that he was the son of Sarek and a "Vulcan princess." And since we know that Vulcans are betrothed as children, it's reasonable that Sarek had a Vulcan wife before he married Amanda.

And Sybok's rogue philosophy helps explain why Sarek disowned Spock for going into Starfleet, why they went 18 years without speaking as father and son. Maybe Sarek was afraid that Spock was following the same path that Sybok had and would bring similar shame to the family.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think it was worded badly. It should have been "Vulcan half-brother". :techman:

16. Kinokima

I didn't mean Sybok wasn't full Vulcan. I meant he was Spock's Half-Brother. I thought the idea of Spock suddenly having another family member out of blue was bad writing.

And the whole "emotional" thing didn't work for me either. In fact there was nothing Vulcan about Sybok at all. Not that I am saying every Vulcan has to be like Spock but there was nothing that made Sybok seem anything but a zealot of a human, not Vulcan.

From reading Leonard Nimoy's autobiography I got the notion that he also didn't like the idea as when he talked about his problems with the Final Frontier script he mentioned it with a list of problems (religious zealot who just happens to be Spock's 1/2 brother).

It might explain it but it doesn't mean this was the "best explanation" or the only explanation possible.

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I really can't see any tweaking helping this movie. It's beyond saving, the plot was just awful...

18. Christopher

Maybe that's what you meant to say, but what you actually wrote -- this is a direct copy-and-paste from your post -- was "an emotional 1/2 Vulcan brother." I can't read your mind, only your words.

It was contrived, sure, but I feel Luckinbill was effective enough and sympathetic enough that he sold it. Maybe a different actor wouldn't have, but he did, at least for me.

People seem to forget that Vulcan logic is learned, not inborn. Intrinsically, Vulcans are even more emotional than humans, which is why they need to control themselves so totally. And it makes sense that some Vulcans would reject that cultural standard of logic. After all, the society only adopted it less than 2000 years ago. For most of Vulcan history, they were all freely, wildly emotional. The Romulans -- who are still members of the Vulcan species by genetics, just a different cultural branch thereof -- are all freely emotional too.

Besides, Sybok evidently had a form of telepathy, given how he could hypnotize people into following him and give them illusory visions of "their pain." Telepathy is much more a Vulcan trait than a human one.

I never said it was either of those things. I just meant that it can work reasonably well as an explanation. I grant that it was kind of melodramatic (though no worse than some of the melodrama TOS threw us), but it was reconcilable with what we knew before.

19. Kinokima

Okay apologies my grammar was a little off, I should have wrote a an emotional Vulcan 1/2 brother. But I don't think what I wrote was that confusing, other posters seemed to understand what I meant. Still my mistake!

Like I said I don't mind the actor and I think he did what he could with not a very good script. But the whole notion of Spock just suddenly having this brother showing up didn't work for me.

I also read that DC Fontana (who came up with the idea of Sarek, Amanda, etc) also wasn't happy with suddenly adding a new member to Spock's family.

What can I say I am not a fan of the "long lost family member" storyline, especially not for such an established and iconic character like Spock.

I don't forget this. I understand Vulcans have emotions they just work to suppress them. My problem isn't so much that Sybok rejected the Vulcan's philosophy, more that Sybok came off like a "human" religious zealot (albeit somewhat of a sympathetic one). So my question is if the Vulcan didn't suppress their emotions would they be just like humans? Somehow that doesn't work for me.

And the Romulans are a good example of how they can be different from the Vulcans but still seem alien to me.

Well this whole power was also pretty silly to me. It just seemed a bit much.

Even though I liked some of the scenes that resulted: learning a bit more about McCoy (although it was too little too late) & seeing the scene of Spock's birth was a powerful scene. Although, I also agree with Nimoy that he accepted who he was in previous movies and this was not needed.

But yes Sybok had an alien ability that doesn't mean he felt alien to me.

And I am not denying that TOS has some melodramatic scenes and bad writing throughout its run as well.

If you mean it explains Sarek's behavior to Spock then yes I will grant you that. But I am sure they could have come up with a stronger explanation.

Look if Sybok worked for you that is fine. He didn't work for me. And I don't even hate Final Frontier like some fans. I actually really enjoy all the Kirk/Spock/McCoy scenes that are in the movie. And I am just grateful that Shatner didn't get his way and McCoy and Spock didn't betray Kirk too (which was how it was originally supposed to go).

20. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

That's kind of like reviewers that knocked DUNE for ripping off SW visuals when it was the novel DUNE's own iconography that SW referenced.

I imagine when CHILDHOOD'S END gets done folks will be saying 'visual ripoff of V and INDEPENDENCE DAY' when the ships hover above the world's cities too.