Once Upon A Time - Season 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I really like Bad Girl Lacey and I loved how the episode played out. Gold got her to fall for him, just not in the way he expected. This should be good.

Also, with Robin Hood showing up and Peter Pan possibly being around (Rumple's son?), I can't wait to see how they reconcile different eras existing together in fantasy land.

I was impressed with how well it was handled and how consistent it was with the lighthearted world of magic. If it really did happen, I'd look at it as something that could be reversed.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And where is Merlin during all this?

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

From a quasi-historical perspective, Lancelot was a contemporary of King Arthur, putting him in 5th/6th century and written about in the 12th/13th century. Robin Hood was supposed to be around in the 15th century. From a fantasy perspective, I suppose it's possible, but they're almost a millennia apart historically.

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

It is kind of weird that Robin Hood would be a contemporary of King Arthur in the Enchanted Forest. They at least had to go to an entirely different universe to get Dr. Frankenstein. Same for Wonderland.

But why am I trying to rationalize this show's plot holes? The writers don't care, why should I? :lol:

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

And Peter Pan/Captain Hook should be 19th century, maybe 18th, so it's a hodgepodge anyway.

6. Greg Cox

Yeah, worrying about historical accuracy on this show is like expecting XENA or HERCULES to be historically accurate These are supposed to be "storybook" characters, not historical figures. And mashing up Mulan and Dr. Frankenstein and Wonderland and NeverLand and Oz and Pinocchio and Robin Hood and Lancelot is pretty much the whole idea . . . .

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Certainly none of them are from the 21st Century. :rommie:

8. Greg Cox

I figure Dracula and Zorro are only a matter of time.

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

What about Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck?

10. Greg Cox

Wait until the special sweeps episode set at DisneyWorld. :)

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm waiting for Luke Skywalker and Luke Cage to show up.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

While most versions Robin Hood are set during the reign of Richard the Lion Heart, there are some that place him in a different historical setting. Parke Goodwin's Sherwood has Robin fighting against William the Conqueror.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I was hoping the introduction of Lancelot really got me hoping that they were going to work the Arthurian mythology into the show, but we haven't seen any other sign of it so far. They way they've been playing with things in the series so far though, it would probably turn out that Rumple was Merlin. I meant that sarcastically, but now that I write it out, I actually kind of like that idea. He's already the Crocodile from Peter Pan, Beast from Beauty and the Beast, and Cinderella's fairy godmother, so I guess there's no reason he couldn't be Merlin.

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Would make sense that he becomes the "common thread" across all the mythologies. They certainly seem to have been setting him up for that role for some time now.

15. js

js Captain Captain

I also wouldn't be surprised for Rumpel to turn out to be Ursula whenever Ariel turns up. :) It's his kind of bargain to strike.

16. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

That would actually be pretty awesome.

17. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

When Merlin does show up, he simply MUST be played by Sylvester McCoy. Accept no substitutes!

18. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very good episode tonight. Nice to see more back story with Regina and Snow. And nice seeing how Regina got bagged at the end.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was a good one. I wonder what Owen's real mission is? From the preview it sounds like they want to destroy Storybrooke, but I wouldn' be suprised if there is more to it. I'm glad they are keeping Hook around he''s a fun character. I like that we finally saw that they actually did something with Snow's coffin.

20. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Cross-posted:
    Now that's how you set up a penultimate episode. Writers, take note.

No offense to Adam, Eddy, or Lana, but Regina is at her best when she's portrayed as the sociopath she clearly is. Having said that, though, it's still fun to see somebody else - or, in this case, three somebodies - outsmart and outmaneuver her.

I did like the FTL scenes between her and Snow, not so much for what they tried to say about Regina, but for what they told us about Snow and how she saw Regina's darkness.

It was rather neat to not only see the return of Henry and Emma sleuths extraordinaire, but also to get a callback and reference to Emma and Neal's days as a modern-day Bonnie and Clyde.

Hook, Tamara, and Greg really do make an excellent villain trio, which is rather fitting given that this particular plotline looks to be leading us straight to Neverland and because it is also increasingly reminding me of some of the story arcs from the Starcatchers series.

I really, really enjoyed this ep and can't wait to see what's going to happen next.