DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

About the only thing the movie has in common with Secret Origin is that an alien named Abin Sur crash lands on Earth and gives Hal Jordan a ring. :p I think they're full of crap, just like the movie.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Has anyone read the Superman Hell on Earth crossover, and is it any good? I only read part one. Aside from Morrison's Action Comics, I really don't like anything they did with the Superman reboot...

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I've really enjoyed the H'Ell on Earth books, I even picked up the Superboy books to get "more of the story."

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Is it a literal crossover or are the Supergirl and Superboy books tie-ins to the main story?

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I skipped over the H'ell arc. Not really interested in it.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

One story.

7. Trekker4747

It hasn't been too bad, really. I like the interaction between Superman and Superboy (the first time the two have met, and the first awareness Superman has over Superboy. Some conflict between SB and Supergirl -as well as H'El- since clones are abominations in Kryptonian culture.) I just hope when the storyline is over Supergirl comes to her senses and realizes how good Superman/Kal is and the errors of her ways during this arc.

In reading the Justice League book to get more on the Throne of Atlantis story line, I've got to say I quite like it, good artwork in it and I liked the beginning of the story seeing Clark and Diana on a date. (;))

8. Admiral_Young

I believe that "Throne of Atlantis" concludes with next week's Justice League #17? It really has been great.

9. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

The villain in Avengers 2 is Thanos. Granted, Darkseid was created first and Thanos is a copy, but the general audience doesn't know that. It would look like Justice League is ripping off A2.

10. Trekker4747

Yep, it does.

11. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I am probably in the minority that I really liked the opening arc of Justice League. Yes, it was poorly paced and really should have been a three or four issue story--but in many ways it recalled the classic Justice League stories of a group of individual heroes coming together to fight a common foe.

I would have liked to have seen more stories set in the past to really get an idea of how the team grew over the next five years. A new Justice League Task Force series could handle this nicely.

For movie purposes though, a Darkseid invasion story could work, but there would need to be a lot more backstory into Apokalypse and Darkseid. In fact, a variation on the Final Crisis story could work quite nicely as a film--maybe with Cyborg developing a wish machine of some sort.

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

If I were developing a Justice League movie with Darkseid as the villain, I'd plunder Jim Starlin and Mike Mignola's Cosmic Odyssey for the source material. It's not, technically, a Justice League story, but I think it could easily be made into one -- and at the end, the heroes decide to stay together as a team.

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Hell, adapt Cosmic Odyssey into a trilogy. There's enough incredible material. Never happen, but, MAN, that would be great.

14. Admiral_Young

I'd personally do an adaptation of Grant Morrison's opening JLA arc with the White Martians.

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Good idea, except that it has already been done in Justice League TAS.

16. Admiral_Young

That doesn't mean it can't be done in a live action film as well.

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

We need a "Like" button. :techman:

18. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah, and we've seen the origin of Batman and Superman a half dozen times.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Which maybe a few thousand people saw. While it's true more people have probably seen the JL cartoons, they are still a smaller number than go to movies like The Avengers, Superman, etc. If the WB wanted to do this story, they wouldn't be discouraged because it was done as a cartoon once.

It's a great idea. It's a great way to introduce J'onn, who is probably the least familiar to the general audience.

But, the question is, is an invasion story like this to much like the Avengers?

20. Admiral_Young

Maybe. But then I don't see that being too much of a problem. Aren't all invasion stories pretty similar to each other? It's how you tell them that separates them from each other right? I would use the Martian Civil War as a backdrop for the film. J'onn would probably be the audience POV and be the linchpin that brings the League together.