Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

There was a rather hyped up article that said Paramount asked CBS to not sell anything TOS related at all for a period of time around the release of STID, which CBS was unwilling to do, so there is this notion that the former cousins (CBS and Paramount both used to be under the Viacom umbrella) are no longer get along.
    http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...rights-killed-jj-abrams-grand-ambitions-91766

2. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

Huh...never knew that. Thanks for the article!

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Our Friends at Trekcore have posted some new screenshots from Season 4. I'm actually liking Modern Video's work here, even though when they get to the screenshots of Redemption, you just know it's CBS-D doing the work. Looking forward to adding this set in late July.

4. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Agreed, Modern Video looks like they're doing a fine job (of course CBS-D's work is a class unto itself), so glad they found a new VFX house to work with!

5. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What the hell...

[​IMG]

Looks quite awful to me..:confused:

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've got to say that I'm not that impressed right now. There seems to be more color saturation on some shots but they don't really feel 'HD'.

7. Beta-Z

And I see a lot of color noise apart from that (Guinan pic).
    I just hope these are all VERY BAD screenshots that have nothing to do with the actual S4 set.
    To be quite honest, I can't see ANY of the HD sharpness I'm used to on most of these comparison HD shots. They all look just a little better than upscales to me. Oh dear... :(

8. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

That particular still has a noticeable amount of motion blur, which is inherent to the source, so the ship looks a bit soft at that particular moment -- but you can see resolved grain on top of that blur. And as TrekCore notes, the shot has always looked rather poor. I'm not sure what could have made it look substantially better. :shrug:

:lol: I couldn't disagree more. They look nothing like SD upscales. The live action looks just as good as Season Three. It's the same film and DP after all. And I don't see color noise, I see colored grain, especially blue specks, which are a characteristic of Kodak 5296. It has fine tabular grains in all but the fast yellow layer (which tend to be dark blue colors and shadows). This is just what that o-neg looks like when scanned with modern equipment.

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

One thing I noticed when looking at this still is that the level of detail and realism on the 4-footer isn't as good as the 6-footer. Especially when you compare it to this shot.

10. Beta-Z

Ok, if you say so. It's just that none of those comp. shots blow me away like they used to before. Maybe will have to see that in motion.

11. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Totally agree with Maxwell Everett. The live action material is just as good as Season Three... the "color noise", as Maxwell points out, is GRAIN... and if you watch the 1080p video you'll see it adds realism to the scene rather than detracting from it.

"The Loss" shot - as I pointed out - is the weakest in the trailer, but then the source material is pretty shoddy too.

12. FrontierTrek

And for those asking - there will be no theatrical event for Season Four. Sorry, folks.

13. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Most of these are huge improvements, except for the one Ent-D shot that was apparently flawed from the start.

14. Beta-Z

Sorry, guess i've been overreacting before. Shame on me. :sigh:

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Bummer. :(

16. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do you know / are you able to tell us why?

17. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TrekCore, would you happen to have the HD shot of drydock from Family?

[​IMG]

I'd love to see how Modern Video updated it. Hopefully it follows the 'darker' lighting scheme that CBS-D employed in Redemption

The Enterprise was way overlit originally.

18. FrontierTrek

We do have this shot, but won't be starting up Season Four shots for a week or so yet. Unfortunately it's still pretty overlit in the remastered version. Not terrible, but not great either. McKinley station looks great though, lots of detail on that.

Keep an eye on our facebook, there will be some new shots slowly starting to appear on there over the coming days and weeks

19. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for the info, TrekCore!

Based on that and the trailer comparisons on your site, it looks like Modern Video is following the HTV mantra of recreating the original appearance of the visuals, only in HD. Though this time, they appear to not be cutting corners.

That's in contrast to (edit: CBS-D's) work which improves and updates the original appearance, especially in terms of lighting.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  20. FrontierTrek

I assume u mean CBS-D in your last paragraph. But yes, that seems to be the case. Although there are certainly some parts where you can see they've tried hard to mimic the CBS-D "extra love" with lighting and blending. There is some great work in episodes like "Suddenly Human" and "Reunion" on that front.