[SPOILER?] to be in the film?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Latest rumor based on the comic and other tidbits of evidence:
    Link

2. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

That didn't take long.

EDIT: Actually, you know what? That took longer than I thought. I figured something like this would be up the minute that preview came out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

I wonder where that photo of Peter Weller came from?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  4. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

So when would he have been in Command? Or would it be, as the article speculates, that he was captain of another Enterprise?

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

If the article title makes a point of leaving the question unanswered, and the article carefully teases the question again, then gives a prominent "*Warning: Potential Spoilers Ahead. Tread Carefully!*" advisory before saying more, do you proceed to reveal the spoiler in the thread title, therefore making it potentially visible to all on the TrekBBS main index and on the TrekToday sidebar?

No, no - out of courtesy to your fellow posters who may wish to remain unspoiled, you do not do that. Instead, you place a spoiler warning in the thread title and you give others the option to look or to not look. That is what you do, and I have fixed it for you.

6. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

He could have been in charge of the Enterprise during her construction, before he gave Pike the keys.

Or he could be from the Prime Universe ... or the Mirror Universe. Unlikely, but not impossible!

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Spoilers, but that goes without saying considering the thread title...

My guess is that April is not in the film. Bad Robot love the obfuscation game, so I think it's all just part of the plan.

8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

My apologies

9. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

It's from the movie "Screamers" (1995).

10. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My question: Is Robert April canon? Could Orci be lying about Weller´s characther?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's only ever appeared in the animated episode "The Counter-clock incident"

And considering Spock's backstory in the last movie was so heavily based on the animated episode "Yesteryear" I'd say that makes them canon. Or at least, as canon as any other series ... they only vaguely fit together with a lot of loud coughing and willing suspension of disbelief.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe this film will establish something I understand Paramount nixed in the first film: that Pine's Enterprise is in no way, shape or form Shatner's Enterprise. I seem to recall that the Kelvin was originally supposed to be the Constitution Class E were familiar with. So maybe that's the ship April commanded.

14. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

If you go by "on screen only" as canon, then certain other things are (or were) canon only by convention.
    -- Kirk being from Iowa was held as convention, but not canon until Kirk said so in TVH.
    -- The Enterprise being built in 2245 (in TOS) is convention, but it's actually never appeared on screen to become "official" canon. (Indeed the only reference to its age is in TSFS, where it's said to be a 20 year old ship, which raised cries because that's too young to make sense.)
    -- The character in question here is conventionally canon, but he could still be tweaked to be whatever anyone wanted him to be if he is finally granted that precious screen time. Including his age and being the captain of a previous Enterprise. So, I'd just go with it.

Or most likely, it's not him at all. Or, it's Weller's character, and he's a hero in the movie, not the villain. Every time we think we know more, we really have only more to speculate on.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, they were going to blow up April/Pike/oldKirk's ship at the beginning, and the studio folks said "we're not blowing up any Enterprise in this movie."

16. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never heard that one before, but I think it would have been a great idea.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

The Kelvin was also the U.S.S. Iowa for quite a while. That was to justify "Iowa" as Kirk's birthplace.

I thought that was cute.

18. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Cute. But incredibly contrived to the point of being cringe inducing.

What if a kid was born on the starship Bonhomme Richard? Would he (we) say he was from Bonhomme Richard? Or maybe he'd say he's from, the Bonhomme Richard? Does that make Kirk from Kelvin? Or from the Kelvin? Of course this dance has already been done to death on these boards. An oldie but a goodie. ;)

19. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

Kirk is man born on shuttle from Kelvin.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Don't tell me; you're from outer space."

"No, I'm from Medical Shuttle #47, I only work in outer space."