A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old March 25 2014, 02:58 AM   #46
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Okay guys. *This* really IS a good idea for a new series.

Between this
Dale Sams wrote: View Post
"The Section 31 Protocols"

...bear with me...I hear your eyes rolling.

Setting: NuTrek universe
Time: About the same as NuTrek
Premise: My fanboy theory that Spock had to allow himself to be debriefed on future threats. The reasoning being that events as he knows them have been obliterated. Polluting the timeline? The timeline is a Legos Enterprise stuck in a barrel and sent over Niagra Falls. It would be incredibly irresponsible not to tell the Federation about the pancake creatures or that the Gorn have claimed Cestus III. And it's naive to subtly push the Enterprise towards any lingering threat and hope for the best.

No, Starfleet would need to create an entire division to deal with these threats. And that's where our heroes come in. One starship (among many) to deal with threats familiar to our audience.

...bear with me....

It doesn't just HAVE to be the USS Chekov's Gun boringly shoving a fusion bomb hidden in an asteroid down the Doomsday Machine's maw. No, the reasoning behind familiar threats is keep the audience grounded in the familiar and give them anticipation. Our heroes would also get into their own adventures.

Another running plot could be, "Can the Feds be trusted with this info?" It only took them two years to grab some augments, tap Khan's brain, try and start a war and render their entire fleet (including the brand new Enterprise) obsolete.

There's several ways this could go.
and this
Captain Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise explore strange new worlds.
which do you think has more audience appeal?

Understand, I'm not trying to s*** on your ideas, but I think sticking to the source material and to a broad scope allows more storytelling possibilities. You could do the kind of story you want to do one week, then switch gears and do something like a classic SF tale. Why limit the storytelling possibilities, potentially limiting the audience?
Old March 25 2014, 02:42 PM   #47
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post

Understand, I'm not trying to s*** on your ideas, but I think sticking to the source material and to a broad scope allows more storytelling possibilities. You could do the kind of story you want to do one week, then switch gears and do something like a classic SF tale. Why limit the storytelling possibilities, potentially limiting the audience?
I think people really undervalue the flexibility of the format Roddenberry set up with TOS and TNG. You can tell essentially any type of story without it seeming forced into the show. Medical drama one week, court drama another week and spy drama another then mix in light-hearted fare here and there.
Old March 25 2014, 04:05 PM   #48
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think people really undervalue the flexibility of the format Roddenberry set up with TOS and TNG. You can tell essentially any type of story without it seeming forced into the show. Medical drama one week, court drama another week and spy drama another then mix in light-hearted fare here and there.
So very true. What other series can boast such a feat?
Old March 26 2014, 09:18 PM   #49
OpenMaw
Commander

The anthologies of Twilight Zone and Outer Limits. The westerns that preceded Trek were quite flexible. Which is why Gene used that as part of his pitch.

I really do enjoy re-reading that original 1964 pitch by Gene. The palpable enthusiasm and wide scope for ideas is very apparent. There's still quite a lot of material that could be extrapolated from it.